The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

Default TIER - Stray Horse in Serious Need! Update post #52

We are calling her Caylee. (Pics at link below...somewhat graphic.) Approximately 6 yr. old Grey Mare picked up by Riverside County AC. She was a stray , and she is in pitiful condition. We are asking for your help in donations for her care and medical treatment ASAP.

Link to Caylee's page on the TIER Website: http://www.tierrescue.org/Caylee.htm

As far as we know right now, it appears that she may have been doused with motor oil or creosote due to a possible skin fungus. As you can see (pictures on her page), the home remedy did not work and caused a myriad of problems. It looks as if she may have rolled when trying to get the substance off and her head got covered in it too. Her skin is burned, I am sure causing great pain. The tips of her ears are gone too. This may have been due to her being in cold country at some time resulting in frostbite on her ears. This poor mare needs your help now.

TIER will bringing her to our facility today 9/1/2011. She will remain under the HOLD process of Riverside County Department of Animal Services for the next 10-14 days. We will have our vet out ASAP and begin treatment of her wounds/infection and to get her out of pain. Please donate now to help Caylee!
    Last edited by Whoanellie; Sep. 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: edit
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

Special Horses has also shared Caylee's story. Please help if you can.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

This is so sad! The poor horse looks like she is in a serious amount of pain!

I'll give up my coffee money this month and send a dribble.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Poor baby! I hope she is out of pain and on the road to recovery very soon!!!
    Beth

Poor Caylee! Donation sent and forwarded info to horse contacts.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

That poor mare and what she has been through! I have sent a donation to help with her care, thank you for helping her.

Sent my little bit via paypal, jingling for quick recovery for the poor girl!

Bump. People are horrible.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

My DH suggested that the person responsible for treating the horse that way should be staked out, naked, over biting ant holes...
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

Thank you all for your kindness, support and caring!

She's here! http://www.tierrescue.org/horsepix/1046.jpg

I will update with pics and info after the vet has examined her this afternoon. Right now I need to go out to feed. We have a gentleman who is coming over in a few minutes to help figure out a cost effective way to Completely cover the pen she is in. All our covers are 1/2 or 1/4 covers.

She is sweet and personable until you head her way with a halter. She will get a bath with a mild shampoo later this morning. This is one beautiful girl and was even more gorgeous before this happened to her.
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

What upsets me is that the horse was a stray. I know that if the vet feels this is the right thing to do, Caylee will be humanely euthanized. But that is the real problem: these organizations clean up other people's messes. Big messes, sometimes. And the right thing is to alleviate pain, sometimes euthanize, sometimes rehome. And this costs money. Not your mess, not your fault, but absolutely the humane thing to do.

Animal Control in Riverside doesn't have the expertise/wherewithal to do vet treatment/care. That is just the reality. Bless Gail for coordinating so that she can do for Caylee what AC cannot.
    www.specialhorses.org

Can I ask why she's not put down?? Is she being kept alive for donations? Don't mean to sound hateful, but sometimes I wonder if these horses in such bad condition are kept alive for fund driving? I think she should be put down, that skin can't be comfortable!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Because she needs to be seen by a vet. The Riverside AC, as I said, lacks the expertise and the wherewithal. Caylee is now at TIER, and if the vet thinks she should be euthanized, that is what will happen (vet coming out today). TIER must work within AC guidelines, because there are legal issues. This way Caylee's issues can be determined, and the appropriate thing done. And in fact, she might not be a candidate for euthanasia.

I can assure you that TIER - and any reputable rescue - would never keep a horse alive simply for donations, because it's inhumane and immoral, and that's not why the good ones are in the business. But I can also add that it is rare that enough is donated to cover vet costs.
    www.specialhorses.org

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    Can I ask why she's not put down?? Is she being kept alive for donations? Don't mean to sound hateful, but sometimes I wonder if these horses in such bad condition are kept alive for fund driving? I think she should be put down, that skin can't be comfortable!
    I agree with Chardavej. AC could have put her down. Who is going to sponsor her for the rest of her life if she cannot be ridden? Heck horses who can be ridden are being given away. I placed one gorgeous pony at my previous barn belonging to someone else with my friend in Ohio. I took a mare from the same person. In June of this year. Both in good weight, good condition, rideable, etc.

There are NOT enough homes for healthy young horses. Why not euth the sick and disabled who are abandonned before there is attachment and a story to continue to get donations? It's not like one rich person is going to take this mare and pay all her vet bills.

cloudyandcallie - please try and understand. The mare is under the auspices of AC. I have already tried to explain that they lack the expertise and the wherewithal to appropriately care for the mare. That is why TIER offered to take her and have her evaluated by their vet. You have not seen this horse, and you are not a vet. TIER's goal was to keep her comfortable until she can be evaluated. They are absorbing the costs. And she may very well not be a candidate for euthanasia, once she is evaluated by a competent professional.
    www.specialhorses.org

I paypaled TIER a little money several years ago when her tractor wasn't running and she needed $ to make repairs. So how's she going to pay vet bills?

Oh wait, people will donate. Duh, been there and done that and got burned right here in GA with your favorite buddy. I hope TIER has its own sling.

If you do not choose to donate, that is certainly your prerogative. However, simply because you sent a donation several years back for one purpose does not negate any current needs. There are, sadly, always horses in need, especially with the current economy.

If you are concerned about TIER's validity, please go to Guidestar and evaluate their 990. As with all legitimate rescue organizations, TIER is fiscally transparent. Also, please check out their website www.tierrescue.org.
    www.specialhorses.org

I have to agree with some of the others. If this is an AC case, then AC should be footing the bill, not TIER. If TIER is responsible for the bills then I don't understand why the poor thing wasn't fed a good meal and put down. There's limited money out there for horse rescue and retraining...I, personally, think it should be put to the best use possible.

From TheHorse.com article about the draft rescue in NY that was just closed down (and I am not implying that TIER is fraudulent in any way):

"In recent years the Internet has developed into useful tools for linking charities with prospective supporters. However attorney Milt Toby has advice for prospective donors who connect with charities online: "The safest advice is to not be swayed by a flashy website or social media ads soliciting 'emergency' funds to keep an animal from being sold for slaughter or for whatever reason, and only donate to rescues and other charities about which you have personal knowledge. A personal recommendation from someone you trust is the next best thing. You also can contact humane societies in the area where a charity is located. If there is a problem, they usually will know about it.""
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I thought I read that the vet will be coming soon to evaluate the mare and make the determine on euthanasia vs. rehabilitation. Am I wrong on that?

Often animal control doesn't have the facilities, the money or expertise to deal with horses. So they ask rescues to help, and it looks like that's what is going on here. Yes, Animal Control, as the city or state entity, should foot the bill. But the problem is that they rarely have the budget to do so.

Until the vet gets out, TIER has to feed that mare, water that mare and care for her. And that costs money. I imagine disposal in CA isn't cheap, so if the vet feels euthanasia is the best option they'll have that expense. If people help out with this mare, then they'll be able to help more horses.

If you don't like the rescue, the situation, or can't donate, then don't donate.

I've been in a similar situation as TIER more than once. AC seizes horses or finds them estray. Some are savable with food and care. Some are not. I'm dealing with that right now - mare with an old break in either her should or upper part of her leg. Leg is twisted and she's lame. AC didn't have money to vet the horses at all, let alone euthanize. So she's at my house and I'm feeding her and caring for her until I can arrange the vet and disposal people. And I want to cry each time I look at her. I really want to sob when she sticks her head into my arms and just stands there.

Cleaning up other people's messes is no fun.

If rescues like TIER and Bluebonnet DON'T ask for donations, eventually we exhaust our ability to help out.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

LauraKY, I appreciate that you are not implying that TIER is fraudulent in any way. This is why I posted TIER's website and suggested people check them out on Guidestar, so that anyone lacking personal knowledge can choose whether or not they wish to donate.

And Jenn, thanks for stating this far more eloquently than I could. TIER took on this mare to do what they could for her. It was the humane thing to do.
    www.specialhorses.org