The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dog eating poop...

My dog has started eating my other dog's poop. How can I stop this behavior. Could he be eating the poop because is missing some mineral or vitamin somewhere?

You can try adding pineapple to the other dog's food. Apparently pineapple makes the poop taste bad. Or you can put in an additive that does the same thing, I think you can get it through Foster's and Smith.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Some dogs just like to eat poop. Disgusting, gross and nasty but they do it. I have talked to sooooo many vets, breeders and experts about this. They all kinda of shrug their shoulders.

There are additives you can put in food to discourage this but I have yet to find one that works. I have tried the pineapple and it didn't work either. I have a bitch that does this, we have finally just thrown up our arms and said so be it. We are however very diligent about picking up fresh poop. She only likes it hot and steamy, won't eat the cold ones. Geez I'm gagging just writing this. We know their schedule and watch for it then clean it up before she has a chance to chow down. The gross thing will eat her own poop! Recycling at its best I guess.

The truly weird thing is that I have yet to have a dog get sick from eating poop! ECK!ECK!ECK!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brookes View Post
    The truly weird thing is that I have yet to have a dog get sick from eating poop! ECK!ECK!ECK!
    Oh Brookes, you haven't lived until you've had a sh*t-eater puke his guts out on your best rug OR! on your passenger seat and down onto and into your brandy-new way-too-expensive splurge handbag- the huge woven Cole-Hahn one...the purse-puker was my dog....he's now my husband's car buddy....

I've observed (with disgust) that many dogs who don't normally eat poo really enjoy a seasonal snack of poopsicles on a midwinter's day....

My doxen mix, when potty training her, when she would have an accident would eat her own poop... I wondered if it was almost like she was trying to cover up the evidence!!

She finally got over it....

and now I live in an apartment, so it's not like she has time unattended to eat poop. But i think everyone is right. Dogs are just gross and like to eat poop. Not much you can do about it!
    "The best hearts are ever the bravest"

My 8 month old lab puppy randomly started this about a month ago. Will not eat his own, just my other dog's poop. Highly disgusted... needless to say he doesn't go out unattended unless I've just scooped the yard (which I do frequently). I'm hoping he'll eventually get over it....

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Oh Brookes, you haven't lived until you've had a sh*t-eater puke his guts out on your best rug OR! on your passenger seat and down onto and into your brandy-new way-too-expensive splurge handbag- the huge woven Cole-Hahn one...the purse-puker was my dog....he's now my husband's car buddy....

I've observed (with disgust) that many dogs who don't normally eat poo really enjoy a seasonal snack of poopsicles on a midwinter's day....

UUUGH, I have one of those! She eats any kind of poop she can get her mouth on. Since a puppy, and shes now almost 12. Its gross, and she yacks it up all over the place. Regurgitated poop is not fun.

What can you do about it? Not much - I tried everything. "Forbid" didnt work, neither did pineapple. I just have to watch her like a hawk when she goes outside if poop patrol wasnt JUST done. I have no idea how to prevent the cat snacks though...

I can beat all of you. My dog eats poop (cat, dog, goose, horse, deer, you name it he'll eat it. But his real, true joy is *rolling* in other dog's diarrhea/loose poop. He gets it everywhere, then has to ride home in the car before I can hose him down. It's amazing I still love that dog.

[QUOTE=SquishTheBunny;5824257 I have no idea how to prevent the cat snacks though...[/QUOTE]

Ah, the Kitty Roca snack....The "who, me?" face with the litter-dotted nose...

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    I can beat all of you. My dog eats poop (cat, dog, goose, horse, deer, you name it he'll eat it. But his real, true joy is *rolling* in other dog's diarrhea/loose poop. He gets it everywhere, then has to ride home in the car before I can hose him down. It's amazing I still love that dog.
    Yes, eating poo is disgusting but at least its easier to forget. Those double-dippers are the most trying. My sympathies.

I have a dog in my group who both eats and rolls-so fun when we get back to the car to load His Foulness in with 10 other dogs. Especially in winter. When no one's hoses work.

Oh Brookes, you haven't lived until you've had a sh*t-eater puke his guts out on your best rug

We used a basket muzzle for our poop-eater whenever he was let loose outside.
    Hilariously, he just learned to smash the basket muzzle into the pile of poop, so he would come back with his face smeared in it.

But he couldn't "hoover" it like he could without the basket muzzle, so it ended up working. He eventually grew out of eating his brother's poop.

My Shepherd loves poop. Unfortunately, a basket muzzle doesn't work for him because he can still lick poop, and our sheeps' poop are quite a bit smaller. His diet isn't lacking any nutrients. He isn't doing it to establish himself "in the pack." He just LOVES poop.

We keep a close eye on him when he's with us in the pastures - a quick "LEAVE IT!" does the trick. If we can't keep a close eye on him, he's leashed or put on a long tracking leash (at home.)
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    Hilariously, he just learned to smash the basket muzzle into the pile of poop, so he would come back with his face smeared in it.
    p.
    now THAT is a lovely picture EEEWWW!!!

As far as dogs eating out of the litter box... I had to give up on training the issue, and just put up a baby gate.... Cats can get over it just fine to use the box, but doggie can't. It's kind of a hassle for ME to go back and forth, but the cats seem to think it's a game.
    "The best hearts are ever the bravest"

Try Fig Newtons. I think it's one or two a day. My friends swear by them.

I am so glad I don't have a poop eater. My neighbors do, and it turns my stomach - UGH!

Has anyone tried meat tenderizer in the food? I've read that it is another option if Forbid doesn't work. I had one that snacked on poop in the backyard. Forbid did work for her, and she eventually outgrew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Has anyone tried meat tenderizer in the food? I've read that it is another option if Forbid doesn't work. I had one that snacked on poop in the backyard. Forbid did work for her, and she eventually outgrew it.
    I've known people who used it, but it obviously doesnt address the delicious "strange".

Also, meat tenderizer is 100% MSG, is it not? That CANT be good for any animal, esp. every day.

I went through several months of poop eating with my great dane. He only ate his own. Tried a couple of products from PetsMart and feeding pumpkin, but nothing slowed him down. He finally outgrew the habit thank goodness.

All three of my dogs are horse poop junkies. Only one can get into the pasture on her own and her little white beard frequently has a green tinge that is just charming. The dane grazes the muck cart while I clean the stalls on the rare times the ponies are in.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Also, meat tenderizer is 100% MSG, is it not? That CANT be good for any animal, esp. every day.
    No, certainly not what I've ever had in my cupboard. Adolf's is an enzyme extracted from the papaya plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    No, certainly not what I've ever had in my cupboard. Adolf's is an enzyme extracted from the papaya plant.
    You mean I've been eating cheap tough steaks due to a misconception? D'OH!