The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Angry I just need to vent - "diaper rash" is back on my older gelding

I'm not looking for advice, just a need to vent.

The past two summers, I did battle with what I call "diaper rash" on my older gelding.

Basically, he gets itchy or something between his hind legs (where they rub together), and he chews them bloody raw (pretty athletic for an older arthritic horse).

The first year, I must have spent a bundle on creams, salves, sprays, vets, and finally found that the only thing that works is Desitin and panalog.

This year, I made sure I checked every single day for any signs of irritation, etc.

Today - I noticed my younger mare hanging out by his backside, and sort of licking him. Sure enough he has the big raw spots again - ARG!

This is really getting old. I love this horse, but he sure is high maintenance.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I feel your pain. I have more creams/sprays/lotions and potions now for anti-itch, healing, and re grow hair than brushes right now for my old guy (34). As soon as one spot stops bugging him another is bald. My vet said it is probably his immune system isn't what it used to be so every bug and insect just causes more irritation than it "back in the day"

Poor guy has enough bald/thin hair spots he had to come inside the barn to a full stall (he has a run out) tonight because it was going to be too cold for him!

Becky
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

Quote Originally Posted by crthunder View Post
    I feel your pain. I have more creams/sprays/lotions and potions now for anti-itch, healing, and re grow hair than brushes right now for my old guy (34). As soon as one spot stops bugging him another is bald. My vet said it is probably his immune system isn't what it used to be so every bug and insect just causes more irritation than it "back in the day"
    Thanks, while I don't wish this on anyone, nice to know I'm not alone.

This horse is only 24, but he has been a "special needs" horse almost his whole life, just a long series of minor aggravations to keep me on my toes.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Thumbs up A&D diaper ointment, not just for babies

My older gelding had the same problem last year. What I did this year was to start preventative action right when warm weather hit by applying a small amount of A&D ointment right where his "butt cheeks" rub 2x daily. It has worked wonderfully! Not only does the greasiness of of the ointment condition/protect the area by preventing chafing, it seems to have discouraged insect bites in and around the area.
    I've actually started rubbing it on his sheath 2-3x a week and have noticed marked reduction in bite wounds there are well. It also seems to heal minor, superficial scrapes in record time.

The A&D I'm talking about is not the white (zinc oxide) based type, but rather the yellowish, creamy variety. Target sells it in big containers for around $8.

Thanks for the pointer on the A&D ointment. As soon as this heals up (and I think by catching it so quickly, and knowing what to do about it is helping), I will give that a try.

I have to say, the person that finds a way to eradicate gnats is going to be an overnight millionaire.