The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can someone explain the Nook/Kindle thing to me?

So how does it work?
    If you *buy* a book, can you share it with someone who has the same device?
    How much do most books cost?
    Which is better? Or maybe, what are the pros/cons of each?

TIA!
    Visit us: www.integritysporthorses.com
    High quality retirement boarding: www.flattireranchtx.com

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I am curious about comparisons between these too. Am slightly biased towards to Nook at the moment simply b/c I like brick and mortar bookstores and figure I could browse for books in the store as I do now and then buy what looked good for the Nook. Not going to plan to browse at B&N and then buy for Amazon's Kindle.

To the OP - you can share with the Nook, but not sure about the Kindle.
    The Evil Chem Prof

My experience is with the Kindle only.

You can't share on the Kindle. Well, at least not most titles. They have a limited selection that can be shared.

Books cost about the same as actual books, for the most part. The only difference is it doesn't take up physical space and you can get the book in less than 60 seconds. Kindle does have free titles though, and I have gotten a lot of older titles pretty cheap (like Game of Thrones? Only $7.99)

I've never looked at a Nook BUT I have read a lot of reviews comparing the two. And the general consensus seems to be that Kindle still has the edge for ease of use and the backing of the very large Amazon inventory. And people feel with the color Nook, if you really want that kind of capability, people should just buy an iPad. I think once Kindle gets the publishers on board with sharing more titles, the Nook will kind of disappear.

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

I've got the Kindle and the Nook app on my iPhone and the Kindle app is far superior, to the point where I've been debating the past week whether I should just get a full-sized Kindle.

The books are often far cheaper than the print version and are delivered in seconds. You can look up words, highlight passages, and have the ability to carry thousands of books with you anywhere. I think those last three are the main draws for the Kindle/Nook/iPad.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

I have a Kindle and been a Kindle user since they appeared. I've played with a Nook, but don't really have much experience beyond that.

I adore my Kindle and wouldn't be without it. The ability to search for and download a book in five seconds is very appealing. You become awfully spoiled! If I hear about a book I want to read, I download it and it's ready whenever I am. I NEVER run out of books to read... you have the entire electronic Amazon inventory at your beck and call, 24 hours a day.

Right now, sharing for the Kindle sucks and is more or less nonexistent. This is frustrating at times, and is probably the only place the Nook really has an edge over Kindle.

I love having my entire library at my fingertips. If I feel like reading a book I downloaded two years ago, I do it - they are kept in your personal "library", and it's very easy to select the book you would like to re-read.

Cost of book varies... the most expensive Kindle book I've seen has been $12.99 or $13.99 for a just-released bestseller. Compared to the hardcover version you'd find at a bookshop for $25+ it's a bargain. There are zillions of titles that are far less than $10, and plenty of them under $5, and lots that are completely free. I suspect you could go a great length of time never paying for a Kindle book, though your library would be rather reduced.

Oh... and the dictionary feature is absolutely divine. Just scroll to the word you don't know the meaning of, and the definition pops up. So lovely!! Whenever I switch back to a "real" book I find myself unconsciously trying to do the same thing with words I'm not sure on.

I have absolutely no experience with the Nook, but I absolutely ADORE my Kindle. I LOVE reading and books, and never would have gone out and bought one for myself -- but my husband and kids surprised me with one year before last for my birthday. I cannot express how much I love it now that I've used it!!!!

I read in bed every night, and it is soooooooo easy to hold and turn pages -- with either hand, with both, whatever. I love reading long books, and those can be big and heavy and unwieldy, and the Kindle solves that. I'm also NEVER without reading material (a constant problem before), because in a minute I can find something to read, either paid or for free and there it is downloaded on my Kindle practically instantly.

I just love it. I love that it fits in my purse, and I'm never worried about dog earing pages and I can always carry it with me. It weighs nothing and it never "ends" the way a book does. Love it!!!!

I HAVE found a way to share my Kindle books. I also have an iPad (that I never use), and so I downloaded the free Kindle app on there.... and I loan my mom my iPad whenever I want to share a book with her. It makes it so that I can share and still keep my Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by IneedanOTdayAlter View Post
    I just love it. I love that it fits in my purse, and I'm never worried about dog earing pages and I can always carry it with me. It weighs nothing and it never "ends" the way a book does. Love it!!!!
    THIS. Exactly. And also--when you finish a book in a series at 2 am and MUST. HAVE. the next one, you can order it up and keep reading right there, instead of having to wait to pick it up at the store tomorrow or order it.

I have a friend who shares his Kindle purchases with me by giving me his account info. Not what you want to do with someone you don't trust, but it works for us.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I luff my Kindle. I just wish they had more of the books I want to read. They are a little spotty outside of the best-seller lists and there are tons of weird things that you have to sort through to find what you want through the Kindle's search functions. It's definitely easier to just use your laptop or PC to pick what you want and have it zapped to your Kindle.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I bought the Nook as it uses the same format as that used by Project Gutenberg. Also the Nook accepts most or all eBook formats, I was 'told' that at the time the Kindle was restricted to Amazon format only. That may have changed.

Both allow you get magazines and newspapers. Barnes and Noble offers many books for $.99 and for free. Plus many books with expired copyrights, such as many classics, are available for minimal $$.

I enjoy my Nook and may consider upgrading to the color Nook soon.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I've got the Nook, as do most of my friends and family. I simply love it! It's easy to share books, and there are forums where people share, so the feature can extend beyond just your immediate circle. Since it's tied in with Barnes & Noble, purchasing is a breeze and books load Directly to your nook. No need to sync with your computer. Also, your " library" is backed up by Barnes & Noble, so even if your computer crashes, house burns, Nook gets stolen... All your purchased books are safe and can be reloaded at any time just by syncing to your online Barnes & Noble account. It's a great back up feature and makes file transfers to new devices a breeze.

If you buy books through a network outside of B&N, then you download those to your computer and sync with your computer. The B&N app works on most devices now, so if I'm reading on my Nook, but then go to my iPad, I can pick up at the same spot. Books cost about the same, slightly less through B&N. Plus there is Amazon and Google Books.

I read... A lot. Now my husband has no clue how many books I read and can't complain about me filling up wall to ceiling shelves with books. He never sees them!

I never thought I'd give up paper books. But the Nook is so user friendly and the reading experience so easy that now I wonder why I was such a doubter.

Another Kindle lover here. Last weekend, when the power was out, I read two books that I didn't have, but could order and have downloaded. Finished the series I was reading. It is always in my purse and I can switch among as many books as I like. If someone tells me about a great book, it is mine in seconds. I adore this thing.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Amazon also has free books for the Kindle, as well as $0.99 books. Every once in awhile there are some gems on the list, and many are from new authors. You could have plenty to read, and never have to buy anything except the Kindle itself. Lots of cheap/free classics.

I also have en iPad with the Kindle ap, and it sincs to the last page read on the Kindle. I love being able to travel and take all the books I want with me.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'm gorging myself on the classics right now since I didn't get to read them when I was a kid. I'm reading a lot of Verne, Wells, and Burroughs. Their writing is nothing like what you'd find today (style-wise, not the material itself), making it rather sensationalist and it takes some time to get used to the pace at which they go which is due to the serialized nature of their writings. I just wish the selection of those kinds of books was more comprehensive so I could actually finish the stories with ongoing books rather than just reading one or two in the plotline.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Mr P travels a lot for business and he loves his Kindle. He would need reading glasses for a regular book but he can adjust the font size on his Kindle so he can read without glasses. And he can buy a book at the airport without paying airport prices. Plus it's smaller and lighter than a book, or even a magazine
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I think they are both similar with book prices, ease of use etc. I got the Nook because Kindle had proprietary format and the Nook allows me to check e-books out of the library.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

I have 280+ books on my Kindle, and have also found a way to share them with close friends. In fact I bought my best friend a Kindle and gave her a ton of books because she, like me, loves to read, but finances prevent buying anything more than bargain priced books.

At this rate, I will never run out of things to read, and I read very quickly and often.

It's a library. In my hand.

Anyone with experience using the Nook/Kindle while living in a foreign country? English-language book options are limited here, but I'm wondering if some services might be limited to US-only.

amazon has a comparison of Kindle features and country specific info here
    http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wire...pf_rd_i=507846
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I prefer the Nook for the look. I don't like the Kindle look -all those buttons. I think they pretty much do the same thing though; you can put alot of books on them, you can share books with each other, I'm assuming you can get on the internet with Kindle just like you can with Nook. You can borrow books from the library on the Nook, but I haven't tried that.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).