The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you talk to yourself?

I'm home alone a lot. I just finished undergrad and am job searching, so i'm not currently around people much during the day. I try to get out of the house for awhile every day (gym, grocery, barn, etc) but I spend most of the day alone.

I find myself chatting to myself! I know that it's entirely normal to talk to yourself a bit, but good lord, I think I need to interact with people more often!

Do you talk to yourself? And do you ever feel a little crazy for doing it?!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Yes. Although ever since I got caught talking to myself in the hallway in high school once, I try to keep any conversations in my head and not actually spoken out loud.

Of course, you can still sometimes catch me smiling or making odd faces while I converse with myself.

And no, I don't feel crazy for doing it. My dad always did it, so maybe I'm thinking (hoping?) it's genetic.
    The dude abides ...

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

All the time, though I try to be conscious and not do it when people are around because it makes me seem crazy and absent-minded.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

Yep...I do it when I'm trying to make a list (usually when I have to pack, lol) and I will do it when I'm acting out scenarios in my head...usually in front of the mirror, but sometimes in public when I start daydreaming too much! The horses don't mind, I'll have full-on conversations with them. :-D
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Haha I try not to do it in public either...which is easy since i'm not around people very often right now! When I get a job, this could be a little awkward!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

All. The. Time.

I also sing to myself in public.
    Out loud.
    And badly. (I'm tone deaf)

I also talk to everything else too...animal, vegetable or mineral.

(although my husband objects to being called a mineral)

I'm alone often...who the heck else am I going to talk to? Plus...I crack me up.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley688 View Post
    Yep...I do it when I'm trying to make a list (usually when I have to pack, lol) and I will do it when I'm acting out scenarios in my head...usually in front of the mirror, but sometimes in public when I start daydreaming too much! The horses don't mind, I'll have full-on conversations with them. :-D

Totally talk to myself lol. I tend to talk out scenarios to myself as well. For some reason I tend to do it in my car a lot... I'm hoping the people that see think I'm singing a song or on a bluetooth lol.

Yuppp.

Anytime I am in my car alone, 90% chance I am chattering away to myself.

When I lived alone last summer for a little over a month it got REALLY bad. I got super lonely and felt pretty pathetic about it.

But on the other hand, when I don't talk to myself--and I'm not talking through issues/stuff with others I really feel the effects of holding things in.

And a may or may not mumble to myself while I walk down the street.

What can I say--I'm a Gemini. We are chatty.

I live in NYC. I think it's a requirement here.

Yesss. I also spend a lot of time alone, so I talk to myself, the horses, or any other nearby object. And I do wonder if people think I'm crazy when I do it in public, but, well, it hasnt stopped me, although I really try not to!

Sure, but I don't take on multiple personalities and have conversations. When I lived in England, my friends noted that I would talk to anyone or anything. They attributed it to my being American, but I think it was more to do with my personality not my nationality.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Only when I frustrate myself or do stupid things, or remind myself of something stupid I did in the past.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    All. The. Time.

I also sing to myself in public.
    Out loud.
    And badly. (I'm tone deaf)

I also talk to everything else too...animal, vegetable or mineral.

(although my husband objects to being called a mineral)

I'm alone often...who the heck else am I going to talk to? Plus...I crack me up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    Only when I frustrate myself or do stupid things, or remind myself of something stupid I did in the past.
    Can totally relate to this! I'm the only one who really gets me, so I need me to kick myself every now and then and if it has to be done verbally, so be it!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

BlingDuck2011 Guest

All the time, its my way of boosting my confidence and encouraging me to do better once I failed with my tasks or I did a miserable thing

Yep
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

So happy that I am not alone!

I've always had a bit of a tendency to talk to myself (or to animals and inanimate objects so I don't feel like I'm talking to myself). With the horses at home and being self-employed, I find that tendency increasing. Not sure if it's a subconscious way of battling feelings of isolation ... or if I am just one of those people who likes the sound of my own voice.

I suppose that cussing the pitchfork out when I am turning the manure piles ensures, if nothing else, that I am the crazy neighbor, so if I ever have anyone bad move into the area, they will be too unnerved by my insanity to bother us.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I think most people do, and I'm not sure why talking to yourself out loud from time to time has been deemed evidence of some kind of problem. Probably different if it is incessant.

Not much different in kind than yelling something when your horse steps on your foot. Or any other kind of exclamation.

Often when I have a startling revelation I'll repeat whatever that discovery was out loud to myself, almost like getting it clearer in my mind.

If I am working on something very systematically, I may say each step aloud as I'm going through the process, too.

No big deal.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

Yes, I converse with myself constantly.

But what's worse ... If I'm eating something particularly tasty, I hum to my food.

Yes, I talk to myself as well. A lot while I'm driving. My 7 year old son makes fun of me for it

The worst is when I'm mostly talking to myself in my head, but then I'll suddenly say one word out loud. Like I'll be trying to decide what to make for dinner, I'll decide on beef stew, think about what I should make to go with it, and then suddenly while walking down the sidewalk, I'll exclaim "BISCUITS!"
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

some of the best conversations I have are with myself (or the dog). I do find that I tend to think more about situations than react to them... or always think of the best rebuttal AFTER the fact. Whether the 2 are related I don't know, but the latter is extremely annoying.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike