The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bike Helmets

Do you wear one? Just curious to see if there is a correlation between those who do/don't wear helmets while riding a bike vs. riding a horse.

I wear a helmet virtually every time I swing my leg over a horse, but feel less inclined to when I hop on my bike. I don't think I'm alone, but I can't explain exactly why.

Always. Every time. Just like on a horse. Why would you NOT?

Always on my bike, always on a horse. No questions.

Cars and pavement are scary, so I can't imagine not wearing a helmet.

Helmet for both
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

City of delusion in the state of total denial

On a road where I'm going at a solid clip, yes. Biking to classes, where half the time I'm stuck behind a slow-moving pedestrian group, no.

Horses, every time every ride. I'd be falling from higher up and if I'm taking a nosedive, I'm probably going faster, or at least achieving a greater terminal velocity.

It's funny, after my riding helmet, the bike helmet seems woefully insufficient because it's so light. As a kid I used to bike to and from the bus stop in my riding helmet, not the bike helmet.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Horses, 99% of the time.

Bike, not so much. I don't often ride a bike, but if/when I do it wouldn't be on a busy street. More apt to bike in the driveway/gravel road/trails/fields/yard. I wouldn't be going fast enough to hurt myself any worse than if I fell down running or walking.

Plus I have waaaaaay better balance on a bike than a horse, and the bike won't spook out from under me!
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    Plus I have waaaaaay better balance on a bike than a horse, and the bike won't spook out from under me!
    You would be surprised. My DH used to bike a lot. And ride. Wears helmets for both. Had dog run in front of him on his bike. To make a long story short, when he came to there was a woman standing over him asking him if he was ok (sprawed out on the pavement, bike in shambles...Duh). She called an ambulance, etc. He suffered a concussion and a pretty deep scalp laceration. Thankfully it was the helmet that cut his head. The helmet was cracked open like melon.

Wear your helmet.

I wear a helmet all the time when riding my horse. I didn't used to wear a helmet while riding my bike but I've started to recently. Mostly because 1) I'm not the most coordinated person and 2) I have bills to pay and a splattered brain isn't going to help me do that
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Both all of the time. Don't see a reason not to. I was thinking though that maybe my 15 year old bike helmet should be replaced. Is there a recommended replacement period for those?

I always wear an approved helmet when I ride. The only exception was when I was competing and wore a shell-type hunt cap. On a bike, I still don't wear a helmet. However, since a friend of mine was bumped by a car last year and knocked over in the road, I keep meaning to get one. I actually have MUCH more confidence in my ability to stick in a horse saddle than on a bike saddle.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Always on horseback.

Didn't used to on a bike, but the paved trails and roads where I ride on are pretty hard and once on the trails I get going at a pretty good pace.

Once I got a lightweight, ventilated horse helmet (Tipperary 8500) I decided to try it while biking and found it works just as well as it does on a horse. It's comfortable and cool even in 90+ degree days, so I wear it now every time I bike.

I've seen people take MUCH worse tumbles on bikes than on horses- biking slowly on a gravel road, hit an unexpected rock or something, go headfirst over the handle bars onto one's head. Also one should consider that usually you are riding horses on a soft surface (arena footing, grass, dirt) but biking you are usually on a hard surface that is going to cause more head damage when you crash-land.

I always wear my helmet - biking or riding. Seeing the Courtney King-Dye video made me decide to wear a helmet skiing, too. I'm very invested in keeping my brain in one piece so that I can live like I want to. I'm very glad CKD made that video.

If a helmet exists for a sport, then I wear it 100% of the time, including on my bike and when horseback riding. Also, I always wear my seatbelt when in the car and a life jacket when kayaking. I would rather be mildly uncomfortable than brain damaged or dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post

It's funny, after my riding helmet, the bike helmet seems woefully insufficient because it's so light.
    I feel this way, too. When I bought a bike helmet last year, after getting my first bike since high school, I almost immediately went out to buy a helmet, and was shocked at how insubstantial they felt after wearing a riding helmet for years and years. I also feel like they don't have the same amount of head coverage that my GR8 does.

It's been years since I've been on a horse without a helmet, and I only rode the bike 3 or 4 times before I got one. There's just too much traffic and congestion around here, even on bike paths, to go without.

Always on a horse, and always on a bike. The thought of my head meeting the pavement makes me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    If a helmet exists for a sport, then I wear it 100% of the time, including on my bike and when horseback riding. Also, I always wear my seatbelt when in the car and a life jacket when kayaking. I would rather be mildly uncomfortable than brain damaged or dead.
    Agreed.

For horses Yes All the time.

on my bike? No. Only when I am going on a long ride on roads. Usually I just ride around the camp ground, or on the trail, no cars, no pavement.

Horses are unpredictable, they spook, misbehave, buck, bolt or purposely try to dump you. They have a mind of their own.

Bikes don't.