The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When Migraines take over?

Hi, what have others done for Migraines? I am at the point where they are getting too intense and too frequent. I plot what I eat, but it does not always help. Avoiding stress is out!

KH
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Coslave has them bad. After years, went the Cleveland Clinic and found a dr who deals with them. Shes on many drugs and still gets em but its better than it was. Change in wheather gets her, cycles, but until theres something to cut the nerves nothing is better.

I feel for ya. Maybe someone closer to you can help?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

My son had frequent migraines and saw a pediatric neurologist. The neurologist put him on co-enzyme Q10, and poof! the migraines went away almost overnight.

My son had bloodwork that showed he was deficient in co-Q10, which is why supplementing him produced such dramatic results. But the neurologist said that many people (like, 70%?) w/o deficiencies could alleviate their migraines by taking it.

You might want to have a blood test and see if that would help you.

I have had migraines for the last 20 years or so. For many of those, I took verapamil, which helped cut down the frequency to 3 or 4 per month. About five years ago I read about nutritional support that helped me. I now take Co-Q 10, Vit B-2, and magnesium daily. Some people also take butterburr as well. If you choose to take magnesium, take a small dose as it is a significant in your body's regulation of the heart.

Now I'm off the verapamil, and only on the others. I get two or three migraines a month, but they are directly linked to hormone levels. I take Imitrex(sumatriptan) to stop them, and it works well for me. Today there are several prophlactic medications to stop the migraines from starting, and more meds that work to stop it once they start.

I would start by seeing a neurologist who works with migraines, rather than a family doc or internist, as they will be much more in touch with what is available. Be prepared to try several different drugs before you find the one that work for you.

Good Luck!

See the migraine thread on the Equestrians with Disabilities section of the COTH forum.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Do you have allergies? Mine are much less severe with a spoon of local honey am and pm.

Aside form that, I've not found anything that truly helps. Mg hasn't helped, haven't tried the co-Q10, but drugs just make them way worse. Aleve for the worst ones, at most 2 doses per day, and only one day in a row. Getting enough sleep, and sometimes a good ride when they get bad. I have to force myself to ride when I have one, but it does help.

Topimax. Worked well for me.

NR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

I will try the co-q 10 enzyme, and honey, as I do have allergies! I am currently on Imitrex, but it does not always work! I just fear I am headed towards the injection road. I seriously don't think I could inject myself!
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I take topamax every night as a preventative and take imitrex at the first sign of a migraine. Works like a charm. The key is to take it the minute you feel a headache coming - even a slight one. That way the imitrex can stop it in its tracks. I have to take the 100mg pills but started at 25mg. If it isn't working maybe you need to up your dosage?

The injection for imitrex is with a little itty bitty needle. It is really nothing. When I did IVF some of the injections were with the drugs/hormones in oil and required a much larger needle. I use to inject the imitrex but my current dr is not keen on self injecting. I have 75mg pills, and when the migraine is real bad I have to take two.

The vomiting is the worst with my migraines so I MUST take the imitrex pretty quickly, I have it on me 24/7 with a water glass by my bed so that I don't even have to get out of bed to take it. If I wait too long the vomiting makes taking anything impossible and I then have to go to the ER.

Hope you find something that works.

Funny you should mention vomiting, I used to get what I thought was sinus drainage that caused me to vomit for 12 to 24 hours which would then usually be followed by a severe migraine which I thought was due to dehydration. Went to my GP for that and he told me to try taking the imitrex at the first sign of nausea. It worked! Stopped the nausea, no vomiting, no migraine. I couldn't believe it. Turns out I was getting the vomiting way ahead of the headache. Changed my life.

I never leave the house without an imitrex. Get down right panicky if I find myself without one. Luckily they are tucked into every purse, wallet I own so I can usually lay hands on one.

Have you tried the nasal sprays, stolen virtue? I cannot take oral Imitrex, if I am not vomiting already they make me start. But the nasal sprays work pretty well 75% of the time, the rest I do an injection.

I would be getting a new doc if he tried to take away my Imitrex injections. It doesn't even hurt really, just a pinprick. Injections are not rocket science.

I also take metaclopramide for nausea when I take an Imitrex, which helps significantly. I added it to my artillery recently and it has been very effective in reducing rebound migraines.

Yes, I use to get the nasal spray but my dr doesn't like it so I just go with the pills. I have no issues with injections, I think my current dr is not aware of my IVF expertise.

I am a heavy imitrix user and so I will do anything for that drug. I am not fond of my dr but my husband really likes him so.....I go to the er when my vomiting is in full swing. I just have to say that I feel terrible for the er people when I get there. I say I have a migraine and I need a bucket NOW. I cannot even fill out the paperwork I just hand them my card and drivers license with my head in the bucket. It is so violent and constant. I hate it which is why I go through my 9 imitrex a month.

OMG, that is horrible. My husband does not get to have an opinion since I am the one that does the puking!

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    OMG, that is horrible. My husband does not get to have an opinion since I am the one that does the puking!
    LOL that is funny. My husband slept throuh an episode and I had to drive myself to the er last year. I get to bitch about forever...But he likes the dr and I just try and avoid seeing him.