The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Full scholarship?

This pretend student, wants to pay for 4 years of college with scholarships.

Application essay good
    GPA 4.0 on 4.0 scale--hard college prep classes
    ACT score 32
    SAT score 2200
    Involved in community
    Active in school leadership
    Wants to major in science
    Parents upper middle class

Where to apply: public or private, instate or out of state?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Hard college prep classes? There is no such thing as a hard college prep class, at least at my school Now, there are plenty of hard IB, AP, and even honors classes, but not college prep.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

If I were a counselor of M, I would tell her to check into state schools. They have a lot more funding to give away, and are looking for the best and the brightest. A good score on my state's standardized test = waived tuition. (Which in my state is all of $900 out of about a $7000 bill, but it helps!)

She can try applying at the private schools, as they sometimes have quotas to meet, but they are a lot less generous with their financial aid, most of the time. That's not to say that people don't get free rides to the Ivy Leagues, but it is a lot less likely.

Where she is going to be hit is her parent's income, as most scholarships are need-based. If her parents are not willing to fund her, then she needs to take the appropriate steps to declare herself independent of them. No school is going to listen to "But my parents don't WANT to pay!" without the appropriate paper work.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    This pretend student, wants to pay for 4 years of college with scholarships.

Application essay good
    GPA 4.0 on 4.0 scale--hard college prep classes
    ACT score 32
    SAT score 2200
    Involved in community
    Active in school leadership
    Wants to major in science
    Parents upper middle class

Where to apply: public or private, instate or out of state?
    Not sure where you are......

Case Western Reserve in Cleveland, Ohio (my undergrad alma mater) is VERY generous with their scholarship money. My stats were very similar to this kid--I was a high school valedictorian and wanted to major in biology. My ACT was a few points higher and my SAT was on the old 1600 scale so I don't know how it compares. CWRU gave me full tuition scholarship. I had enough community scholarships to pay room&board, so in effect had a full ride.

I thought CWRU was the best of both worlds. It is similar in size to a liberal arts school (~4000 undergrads), but because of the med school and science/engineering graduate programs, has the resources of a big school. The students are a quirky bunch, a mix of technology and science geeks, pre-med types, arts/music students from the Cleveland Institutes of Music and Art, with some humanities and business people sprinkled in. Really anyone can fit in and find their niche, and if you were the nerdy kid that didn't fit in during high school, it's heaven.

I will say that Case students, whatever their major, work harder than their counterparts at other schools. However, science/engineering majors are (were? I graduated in 2003 before the economy tanked) heavily recruited by both businesses and graduate programs, so there is a payoff if you stick with it.

In terms of public schools, lots of big flagship state u's have honors programs & scholarships, which may or may not be limited to state residents. I was offered full ride by Ohio State, half tutition by Indiana U. I have several friends who went to the honors program at U of Georgia Athens on full ride and one who went through the honors program at U of Michigan.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Does this pretend student have something special that makes him/her stand out? For example, my daughter played high school polo and had taken every science class offered by her high school, along with excellent grades, SAT and SAT II scores. She was asked to apply early decision (after the deadline) by her first choice.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'd advise this pretend student to apply for schools outside of her geographic area. For example, I know two kids from the north east who were awarded very generous *merit* scholarships from Tulane in Louisiana. Conversely if this student is from, say, Missouri, or Wyoming, she should apply on the East Coast.

My son's a high school junior and we've just started to look into this. A very helpful website, with discussion forums, is collegeconfidential.com.

If she's in the northeast, then apply to schools in the south or west of her. I would also advise her not to depend on getting a full ride. Apply to state schools because many have tuition waivers, but prepare to take out loans if necessary. If she gets a full ride, great - but either way, at least she'd be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Equestrian View Post
    Hard college prep classes? There is no such thing as a hard college prep class, at least at my school Now, there are plenty of hard IB, AP, and even honors classes, but not college prep.
    Dual credit classes & small private school. Not taking gym and home ec.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    If I were a counselor of M, I would tell her to check into state schools. They have a lot more funding to give away, and are looking for the best and the brightest. A good score on my state's standardized test = waived tuition. (Which in my state is all of $900 out of about a $7000 bill, but it helps!)

She can try applying at the private schools, as they sometimes have quotas to meet, but they are a lot less generous with their financial aid, most of the time. That's not to say that people don't get free rides to the Ivy Leagues, but it is a lot less likely.

Where she is going to be hit is her parent's income, as most scholarships are need-based. If her parents are not willing to fund her, then she needs to take the appropriate steps to declare herself independent of them. No school is going to listen to "But my parents don't WANT to pay!" without the appropriate paper work.
    Parents are willing but haveseveral kids/adults in college so funds are tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    I'd advise this pretend student to apply for schools outside of her geographic area. For example, I know two kids from the north east who were awarded very generous *merit* scholarships from Tulane in Louisiana. Conversely if this student is from, say, Missouri, or Wyoming, she should apply on the East Coast.
    Can you share why? This seems strange.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I went to a smaller private school and they bent over backwards to get me money to go. Aside from the usual financial aid, they also gave me a yearly 'gift,' since I didn't qualify for a scholarship.

I may be completely wrong, but it seems like private schools don't have the limitations public schools have in what they can do with their money.
    The dude abides ...

Quote Originally Posted by Paige777 View Post
    Apply to state schools because many have tuition waivers, but prepare to take out loans if necessary. If she gets a full ride, great - but either way, at least she'd be prepared.
    Its like getting a car--she wants the best deal for her brains. Shes worked hard in HS--should help in college right? Or should she party the rest of HS?

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    I went to a smaller private school and they bent over backwards to get me money to go. Aside from the usual financial aid, they also gave me a yearly 'gift,' since I didn't qualify for a scholarship.

I may be completely wrong, but it seems like private schools don't have the limitations public schools have in what they can do with their money.
    From webpages (which maybe smoke/miror) private schools dont "advertise" full scholarship. They limit you to a couple of them then charge $35K, with $12K off. Wow. Is this just an act?

Wow, I was going to say the opposite! At my state school (Texas A&M), academic scholarships (even needs-based scholarships) were almost impossible to come by and even harder to keep. Now I wasn't a 4.0 student (could have been, didn't see the point), but my SAT scores way above average (and when did they go up? 1600 used ot be highest!) and I had all of the above credentials (except the upper-middle class parents... we were lower middle on a good day, but I was the fourth through college. money=nada). Kept great grades in college... never got any of the few scholarships that were floating around out there. Most scholarships were directed specifically for attracting minorities. Of course, Texas doesn't exactly relish in funding public education, so even the major schools like UT and A&M are poorly-supported financially.

But folks that I know that went to private schools (mostly Baylor) found scholarships MUCH easier to come by. There were a lot more privately funded scholarships available, and more wiggle-room in the school's budget to make adjustments for some folks.

My suggestion (and I haven't read all the replies, so it may be out there) is to fill out a FAFSA on January 1st EVERY YEAR, whether you think you're eligible or not, even if you don't want loans. Grant money will almost certainly come up. I got a state grant of about $2500/year just for having graduated high school on the "recommended" plan instead of the base plan. Most people didn't realize that was available. There were a few federal grants in there sometimes too (Pell grants, I think-- needs-based). The earlier you fill it out each year, the more grant money is still available. It will offer you federal loans based on your parents income and how much tuition you'll owe after grants, but you don't have to accept the loans.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Ooh. Not sure about other colleges. Mine never did full everything, but they had full tuition scholarships, which was 2/3 of the total cost. (And that's not counting financial aid)
    The dude abides ...

Can you share why? This seems strange.
    What seems strange, the fact that the kids got $$ from Tulane, or that kids should apply out of their geographic area?

The kids got $$ b/c they were great students and Tulane really wanted them. In fact, those kids decided to go instead to Cornell and Mt. Holyoke, neither of which gave them money.

Out of geographic area -- all colleges want to say they are diverse and draw from a wide geographic area. They are looking for students theoretically from every state. If only a few kids from Missouri apply, say, to a school in upstate NY, they will have a much better chance than an identical kid from NY -- the school already has a lot of NY kids, but probably very few if any from Missouri.

By the way, I agree with the others that say private schools have more money to give away than state schools, especially in this economic climate (when state support for their universities is being cut).

Its like getting a car--she wants the best deal for her brains. Shes worked hard in HS--should help in college right? Or should she party the rest of HS?
    With the 32 ACT score... and she is a she... check the private girls colleges specifically Sweet Briar College.

These schools are looking for diversity in the enrollment. Our oldest daughter had a 32 ACT and got a nearly full ride to RMW because they wanted some people from Texas.

The quality of the education they get in a private girls college is superb

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    With the 32 ACT score... and she is a she... check the private girls colleges specifically Sweet Briar College.

The quality of the education they get in a private girls college is superb
    Not just Sweet Briar but women's colleges in general. It's usually not tops for girls wanting to go out and meet guys, but the education is superb. (I'm actually kind of embarrassed about what I do in life compared to those I went to school with. Vets, doctors, lawyers, PhDs ...)
    The dude abides ...

Quote Originally Posted by archieflies View Post
    Wow, I was going to say the opposite! At my state school (Texas A&M), academic scholarships (even needs-based scholarships) were almost impossible to come by and even harder to keep. Now I wasn't a 4.0 student (could have been, didn't see the point), but my SAT scores way above average (and when did they go up? 1600 used ot be highest!) and I had all of the above credentials (except the upper-middle class parents... we were lower middle on a good day, but I was the fourth through college. money=nada). Kept great grades in college... never got any of the few scholarships that were floating around out there. Most scholarships were directed specifically for attracting minorities. Of course, Texas doesn't exactly relish in funding public education, so even the major schools like UT and A&M are poorly-supported financially.

You could be my youngest daughter...she was the fourth in college and went to Texas A&M ... the others went to out of state schools

But I have to correct you about funding... The Permanent University Fund collects the mineral royalties from about 2.3 million acres and has about 10 billion dollars in it..and the schools treat that fund like candy

There are some schools that will give automatic academic scholarships - I also had a 32 on my ACT and got 1/3 off tuition at College of Charleston (SC), and essentially paid the same as an in-state student although I was coming from Texas. I didn't apply for anything; it came as a complete surprise, and a very welcome one!

Also, don't aim for a reach school. A safety school gives you MUCH more room for academic scholarship opportunities, and to be perfectly honest, she'll get out of her classes what she puts into them. You can get a great education somewhere that isn't Harvard, for a heck of a lot less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    Not just Sweet Briar but women's colleges in general. It's usually not tops for girls wanting to go out and meet guys, but the education is superb. (I'm actually kind of embarrassed about what I do in life compared to those I went to school with. Vets, doctors, lawyers, PhDs ...)
    Agree, loved my women's college education and there are many options with different colleges with varying atmospheres and degrees of "women's-college-ness" - I attended one with strong academic cooperation with a nearby coed college, in an area easily accessible to the city and other colleges. And with the economy I think more merit based scholarships are being given out to all sorts of colleges. I was able to scrounge up a few scholarships that helped a bit even though according to the FASFA my upper-middle class family wasn't eligible for need-based aid at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LulaBell View Post
    There are some schools that will give automatic academic scholarships - I also had a 32 on my ACT and got 1/3 off tuition at College of Charleston (SC), and essentially paid the same as an in-state student although I was coming from Texas. I didn't apply for anything; it came as a complete surprise, and a very welcome one!

Also, don't aim for a reach school. A safety school gives you MUCH more room for academic scholarship opportunities, and to be perfectly honest, she'll get out of her classes what she puts into them. You can get a great education somewhere that isn't Harvard, for a heck of a lot less money.
    Some of the best bargains are just outside of the top 20 or so schools. My alma mater (CWRU, see above) is typically ranked somewhere around between 40-50 in the USNews rankings (fwiw, not saying the list is valid or anything). The story of the vast majority of kids there, myself included, was that they were accepted to one of the Ivy's, but came to CWRU because it offered more scholarship or grant money.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique