The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Love my local thrift store. Mine is an off-shoot from the hospital and run by volunteers and prices are dirt cheap. I bought a bunch of cute plates to decorate my kitchen wall with, some glassware, art, posters, and a couple odd books. My favorite finds are the postcard of the Mountie and his horse (10 cents) that I will have framed and the hand bound and mimeographed book by one of the hospital founder's relatives about her travels overseas as a nurse.
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.

I am obsessed! I go to the Goodwill almost every day on my lunch when I dont have another errand to run. Almost weekly I find an amazing pair of new-ish shoes in my size. The thrift gods smile on me!

My best finds:

-Awesome new frying pan for $3
    -Paul Mitchell super fancy hair dryer for $5
    -Silver tray for my dresser to catch watches, perfumes, etc for $6
    -Cool jewelry tree for $2
    -Random shelving and stuff for my living room, like $2 each
    Click here to feed a rescued animal for free!

Sponsors feed rescued animals for every free click!

Goodwill is my friend. I use it particularly for costuming (if you do steampunk, you need to make friends at the thrift shop) and for my etsy store. Also good for ebaying--I love it when I stumble onto old embroidery and needlepoint kits. People WILL pay for those.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by spurgirl View Post
    Goodwill in my area had a half price on everything sale today. DH and I went early, found great stuff to eBay...

Lightly used Coach purse (new $300+) for $20
    New, but dusty Coach purse (new $240+) for $25
    Dooney and Bourke handbag, small mark on strap $10
    Merrell winter boots, new ($100+), $6
    Born fashion "riding" boots, slightly used ($210+ new), $5
    Coach leather belt, new $1

I clean these up if they need it, then list them on eBay. I usually make at least double my money back. I try to go once a week. If something does not sell, I donate it back to them!

I scored a couch, chair, and entertainment center with two display cabinets for under 200 at the Goodwill Half Price Labor Day sale in CT!!!
    It has made me finally feel like I have a home here now!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I used to work for Goodwill in administration. They often have contracts with big name places to buy their overruns, old stock, etc. Like Chadwicks and Target.

I have bought lots of stuff at the Goodwill's but haven't been in ages. Don't work there anymore and haven't for 10 years but you can get some amazing stuff!!
    Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

I love thrifting. (I'm an equal opportunity spender- I'll hemorrhage money at Nordstrom as well)
    We just had a new Value Village open up in my town- I havent made it over there yet. No time and no perfect "thrifting buddy".
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I scored a cobalt blue cannister set for 1/2 price! And a copy of The Help during my last thrift run.

Have you guys checked out Thrift Horror? Because there are always clowns. Always.

http://thrifthorror.livejournal.com/
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

rofl

nobody wants them, why do you think they end up at the thrift store!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by EponaRoan View Post
    I scored a cobalt blue cannister set for 1/2 price! And a copy of The Help during my last thrift run.

Have you guys checked out Thrift Horror? Because there are always clowns. Always.

http://thrifthorror.livejournal.com/

well, it wasn't a clown...
    http://thrifthorror.livejournal.com/566806.html#cutid1

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

The MOTHERLODE for barn clothes!

Who cares when it gets slobbered on when it cost you $1

I've thrift-shopped since I was a youngun - some 40 years worth.
    Used to be able to find lots of well-made vintage clothes, nowadays it's mostly polyester X P
    Still have dishes I bought in college - diner-style platters & some Depression glass pieces.
    And I still regret passing up a carton of apple glass - service for 8!!! for $5...

Still, I've scored lots of well-worn - i.e. broken-in - namebrand jeans and the occasional Major Bar-Gain:
    Chicos canvas blazer for $.99
    Woolrich barncoat for $.99

Long live Goodwill & Salvation Army
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

gosh!!! I want to find thrift store coach bags!
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

I always ask Mackelmore if we can go thrift shopping..

...couldn't resist

I love it. It is hard to find clothes to fit and I always feel like I have better luck at thrift stores.

2 members found this post helpful.

We do - too many bargains to list. Stuff with tags still on them, almost all our clothes . . . actually I don't remember the last time we bought clothes in a regular store. I know I'm wearing better stuff than I could afford new. Also kitchen stuff - a Romertof for 3.99 that I make chicken in all the time, commercial cookware, stuff for our daughters, down jackets, a Basset couch for 50$ that looks brand new, swivel chairs that also look brand new - the list goes on & on.

I love going shopping for clothes at the thrift store. It has been years since I have paid retail for anything. Some of the bargains you can find in the thrift store are amazing.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

The local Goodwill store eliminated the dollar racks which is where most of my clothes came from. Now you have to look thru everything. I got a monitor for $3. with 25% seniors discount. Back when I lived in New Jersey I got some things from and donated to Friends Of Animals thrift shop which helped fund their spaying clinic. I used to go to yard sales frequently and found lots of good things cheap. Dollar General and Walmart sometimes have new items very cheap on clearance. Got 4 new T shirts for $6.50 at DG recently. Got a couple at Walmart a few years ago for $1. each.

My favorite pair of jeans came from a thrift shop. I got them for $7, then went home and looked up the brand. Turns out they were $100 new!

I love thrift stores...but the best sale ever is the Johns Hopkins Women's Auxillary sale. Wear tights and a tight fitting t-shirt or turtleneck and go early.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I love thrift stores, but the ones around here, in Mass, are terrible. My in laws are in Wisconsin, where they have GREAT Goodwill stores. I must get 3/4 of my wardrobe by touring all the Goodwills around Appleton when we go there each summer .

We have a great Goodwill and Sal Val here. All my jeans are second hand and alot of my other clothes come from there, too! Great deals and when I get tired of it/spill something on it/tear it on something in the barn....no biggie!

I used to shop for clothes at Goodwill and Sal Val, but hit Ross more often if I need anything. Figure I can buy new and usually designer for the same price. But it's a great place for books, household stuff, picture frames and sometimes fabric bolts. I'll pop in now and then. Once the garage is finished, I'll have a workshop area and I can start up again with furniture work. It'll hopefully be a nice side business.

Oh, my son picked up a brand new Stetson for $4 the other week. Too big for him, so he's going to resell it, at a significant profit!
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.