The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I am a great fan of thrift stores. My local Salvation Army has a special on paperback books every week where I can get 12 for a dollar. It's helped me discover different genres and authors I probably would not have otherwise sampled.

I like them, but am I the only one who has noticed that the people doing the sorting/pricing are now way more aware of brands? As in, gone are the days when you could buy a designer item for a song. Now people know which things are "in" and price them accordingly. For instance, a Coach purse would be cheaper than retail, but priced much higher than the other random purses.

3 members found this post helpful.

I thrift furniture mainly solid wood items and then repaint/reuse them. I just purchased my first home and it is being furnished by essentially all used furniture. I cant do used couches or things like that but stuff that I can reupholster myself I do buy.

I cant do clothing or shoes for some reason it just bothers me. I am the super sale and couponing queen when it comes to cloth shopping though.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

The Salvation Army store is right on my way to and from the feed store and the local produce market. Great way to go on a shopping spree especially when they are having half-price sales. My latest kick is watches. Buy a semi-fancy watch for $3 and add a $6 battery, and voila! Beats the $10 Walmart watches I was getting before. I now have watches to fit every occasion.

LOVE thrift stores! Have found designer clothes; all kinds of clothes for kids, BIL who was in a nursing home; tons of houseware stuff (flatware, glasses, mugs); books ('til I got my Kindle). Great fun!
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I visit the Goodwill and Savers stores frequently. I prefer spending less than $10 on most pieces of clothing!

Sometimes I buy riding stuff to resell at the consignment shop.

And, a consignment riding shop is my most favorite thrift shoppinng place ever!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I love thrifting! I go to a big Sal. Army store in PA and always find exactly what I'm looking for. Work clothes, books for a toddler, you name it.

This store always has brand new Land's End clothes and stuff sold in Kohl's. I updated my winter sweater wardrobe with like-new LL Bean and Ralph Lauren classic cable/turtlenecks. Also got a pair of brand new LL Bean hiking boots for $6.

Lately I've noticed that the prices are going up in thrift stores. Anyone else?

1 members found this post helpful.

BIG Salvation Army score today. It's half price day so I went in looking for jeans for son who grew 2 inches in 6 weeks. Oy Vey.

And while in there I found a King size Down comforter.

For $5.99

I also found a Sure Fit slipcover for the loveseat for $5.99. Can not have enough of those things around here with the cats and dogs laying around all day on the furniture!

My Salvation Army gets donations from a lady who is apparently my size and has my taste in Talbots and Anne Taylor Loft clothing and rotates her closet frequently. Thank you who ever you are!

I always look at the fabrics [sheets etc], frames, furniture, and baskets. I buy cotton or wool blankets in decent shape. A little RIT dye bath and those babies come out fantastic.
    Other fabrics I use in reupholstering items or other sewing projects.
    Exposing faux rescues, backyard breeders and puppy/cat mills everywhere

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

If you can find pure wool bed blankets in Queen size - snap them up for horse coolers. Put a carpenter's clamp at the chest to hold it shut and it will cool off a wet horse fast, whip it off and put on its usual blanket. Pure wool, that is.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

My mom is always snapping up any pillowcases she can find there. Brand new they cost just as much as sheet sets.

Love them. Got a nice desk/bookcase for $30, brand new, and our Habitat ReStore has books for $.50 for paperbacks and $1.50 for hardcover-I got some really nice cookbooks. For the novels, I can donate them back when I'm done so they don't take up space forever (unless they're really good).

Next thrift mission: jeans. I have lost 23 pounds and am swimming in all my jeans. But I need to lose more weight, so planning to hit the thrift shop for some temporary pairs.