The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thrift Stores?

who shops at thrift stores?

I visitied one Saturday and got the exact $100+ Lowepro camera bag I've been looking for for $4. I was pretty happy

2 members found this post helpful.

I LOVE THRIFT STORES! Lol, my boyfriend and I just got some sick Jack Daniels tumblers for $1 a piece, and some really nice pint glasses. We used to go every Saturday, but now we go when we can. They always have nice coffee mugs, too.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I love browsing thrift stores!

The Goodwill store by me is awesome. I have found some great stuff there. I bought a pair of almost new black patent heels from Nine West for $5. Very exciting.

I have also bought cheap wine glasses and other kitchen items there.

I haven't been in a while because I really should avoid shopping for ANYTHING that doesn't get consumed or used up. No place to put anything else!

But you did remind me, I'm in need of some new skirts for work.
    hmmmm

I ALWAYS check thrift stores first for furniture.

Also literature, especially limited-relevance stuff, is an easy find at our goodwill. I mean books like What to Expect When You're Expecting, and other self-help type books. You can find some REALLY outdated stuff, but also new books.
    The WTEWYE section of my goodwill had about 25 copies at any given time, and many of those were the latest edition and in good condition.

Goodwill in my area had a half price on everything sale today. DH and I went early, found great stuff to eBay...

Lightly used Coach purse (new $300+) for $20
    New, but dusty Coach purse (new $240+) for $25
    Dooney and Bourke handbag, small mark on strap $10
    Merrell winter boots, new ($100+), $6
    Born fashion "riding" boots, slightly used ($210+ new), $5
    Coach leather belt, new $1

I clean these up if they need it, then list them on eBay. I usually make at least double my money back. I try to go once a week. If something does not sell, I donate it back to them!

If you are willing to do the hunting, Thrift Stores are the best places to go.

I personally shop often at the Salvation Army. Not only do I find decent barn clothes, I also find designer blouses and sweaters for work.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

I quit smoking several months ago. I have gained ten pounds. I have been haunting thrift shops since I cannot afford an entire new wardrobe.

I have found some nice jeans but have never seen a coach bag! I wish!

Our Goodwill is huge and I am not able to move the hundreds of items aside to look through them. My arms do not work laterally.

I do not know where the great shops are in my area but I know there were plenty up north! I miss them.

Some of the military posts have thrift shops that can have really good deals. And don't buy stuffed animals, or furniture with any padding-bed bugs and other vermin love that stuff, and you never know where it came from (Hoarders and other icky tv shows donate stuff regularly, but I'm sure trash anything with stuffing).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I do! Most of my work wardrobe comes from Goodwill stores in the Appleton, WI area. they have great stores out there. the thrift stores in Mass stink, literally.

I get my Barn/work clothes there! I also used to find suitable parade attire there!!

Great finds: 1) Breyer Bull/ Cat.
    2) Dress from Lord & Taylor
    3) Antique Whiskey DeCanter.
    and last but not least,

4)2 Vetrinairy Medicine books.

Thrift Stores rock!
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

1 members found this post helpful.

I almost don't shop anywhere else! I've gotten several pairs of Lauren shorts/pants/jeans that fit me perfectly and a lovely leather Aigner handbag for $20. My DH is a Dye Chemist for a textile company and regularly ruins clothing, so I buy his clothes at Goodwill as well. No luck finding horsey stuff though.

GOODWILL::::
    I'm in at least every other week. I have 4 really nice ones with in 20 mins. I have found TONS of excellent stuff....mostly clothes, books, and nice stuff for the house. (pottery, table runners, table cloths).

It helps to shop in the rich areas LOL.

I hate paying full price.

I used to go to other thrift stores, but I'm spoiled with the "color days" at Goodwill. Who doesn't like a coolmax-type polo for riding for 6 dollars, or awesome T-shirts for 1.50? Oh, and the perfect floor lap (oil rubbed bronze) for 6 dollars, plus found the shade there too!
    : )

I got 1 pair of jeans and 4 shirts AND 2 pairs of shoes for $17.

1 members found this post helpful.

BARN CLOTHES!!!

And usually every-day clothes too .
    I try not to go until I really need something or I'll come home with too much...

I really really enjoy being able to find a wide selection of different clothes in one day. It's like shopping in a big department store the just groups all the 'ladies shirts' together instead of by designer. Plus they usually sort by size & colour!! So you can't fall in love with something that has no hope of fitting you or is a terrible colour for your skin.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Another thrift store shopper--usually the local Goodwill. Was looking for a new
    barn coat years ago when the washer ate the zipper on my favorite one.
    Love the 1/2 off days but then so does the rest of Denton.

Yep. I love thrift stores. Here there is Fifi's Fine Resale -- All the rich people consign their clothese there. No $5 deals, but still 1/10th of the new cost.

And the 2nd hand shops for furniture -- Great handpainted lamps and cheap coffee and end tables which I can paint up and "repurpose". Lots of "thinking outside the box" at these places.

Also wonderful lampshades and glassware and kitchen utensils.

Love me some thrift stores!
    I have talked Maggie into running for President. She will be running on the Curly Haired Dog ticket. Her campaign slogan is "Don't be douchy or I'll pee on your carpet".

I am a ThriftStore-FleaMarket Goddess.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

a friend found a pair of ariat ropers for me for 3 bucks.

I gt a 25$ name brand dishwasher last trip.

I try to not look too closely tho. because I still have to muck 20 years of collected junk out of the house.

(I donate a lot to the thrift store down the road. They come and pick up)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

I was in my favorite Famly Store (Salvation Army) today. After I paid a bill, I visited to look over the chairs and sofas (again). I found a perfect blue floral design, comfy cushions, clean! and just the right size. Unfortunately, it's been Pouring rain today so moving it was not an opton. For only $50. If I gamble. and wait a week, it might drop 50% -- if its gone, I do know another great sofa will take its place.
    Lovely small recliner for $15!!
    I did pick up a huge wicker picnic basket for $5-perfect for tailgates and in near new condition
    Red nike jacket, just right for fall riding, & goes sharp with my black pants & boots too $4

Then to the Dollar General for the rest of lifes necessities, like candy for the horses
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680