The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My right ear is plugged? Wax? Alien infestation?

So for the past week my right ear has been plugged. Because of this my hearing on that side is not as great and sometimes at night it starts to hurt just a bit. I just bought one of those ear wax remover kits from the store in case it's a build-up of ear wax, but I HATE HATE HATE putting things in my ears or having things near them in any way. I curl up into a little ball and squeal like a cat in heat. So I will have DH attempt to de-wax me tonight. But on the off chance that it's NOT ear wax, what could it be? It's been a week and it's not getting better.

On a similar note I remember sitting in my college Bio. class and the professor told the story once of a person who had a bug crawl in her ear canal, lay eggs, they hatched, and she eventually died.
    So what do you think I've been picturing all week, hmmm?

That story your prof told you was actually an episode on Twilight Zone or maybe Night Gallery.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/insects/bugear.asp

Sorry no help but hope you feel better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by fargonefarm View Post
    So I will have DH attempt to de-wax me tonight.
    And this sounds so naughty! lol

Hope it goes well!

P.

Every 6 months to a year one of my ears gets clogged and it's wax related. It's been happening since I was younger. I used to go to the doctor and they flush it out with warm water but I've learned how to do it myself (much cheaper )

Put the wax drops in your ear (I usually use Debrox) and it will sound a little weird but hold your head sideways or keep a cotton ball over the opening so the liquid stays in there and can try to break up wax. I have to do this anyway as preventative maintenance.

The wax removal kit comes with a ball shaped device with a tip that you fill with warm water and flush the ear out with. That works ok, but I think a small syringe works a little better if you have one of those.

Keep flushing the ear out. It will take 5-10 flushes IME to start getting wax out.

Once you do get the wax out your ear will feel AMAZING. It will feel clean and you'll be able to hear soo much better. It will make even your "good ear" seem clogged lol

So, if it is wax, and you do get it out, you should feel awesome after.

I don't like water and liquid in my ear but I put up with it for the end result.

If you see no results from this then I would head to your doctor.

If it is hurting it might be an ear infection. Supposedly there is now evidence to support going to a chiropractor instead of getting antibiotics from the doctor, but either way I suggest seeing a doctor. Before little green aliens start flying out of your ear!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

I had this problem this spring. Normally, I am able to get the wax out on my own (using a wax removal kit) but this time I had to go to my GP, who removed a hard wad of wax right next to my eardrum. A week later it was blocked again. I ended up trying some allergy medication and it went away so I can only surmise that it was partially caused by allergies.

If there is pain and pressure that changes with position, you may have a buildup of fluid behind the eardrum. That's a perfect environment for bacteria.

Normally the fluid drains out the eustachian tubes, but sometimes the pressure has to be relieved by a myringotomy (small puncture to the drum and then the doctor suctions out the fluid. It's normally done after other options have been tried).

How do I know all this? I am 43 and still have drainage tubes in my eardrums. Genetics blessed me with a practically non-existent set of eustachian tubes, so my ears cannot drain off fluid on their own.

Anyway, OP might be better off skipping the home wax removal attempt and seeing a doctor. If it is just wax, the doctor can get far more of it cleared out than her husband with a home kit.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    Every 6 months to a year one of my ears gets clogged and it's wax related. It's been happening since I was younger. I used to go to the doctor and they flush it out with warm water but I've learned how to do it myself (much cheaper )

Put the wax drops in your ear (I usually use Debrox) and it will sound a little weird but hold your head sideways or keep a cotton ball over the opening so the liquid stays in there and can try to break up wax. I have to do this anyway as preventative maintenance.

The wax removal kit comes with a ball shaped device with a tip that you fill with warm water and flush the ear out with. That works ok, but I think a small syringe works a little better if you have one of those.

Keep flushing the ear out. It will take 5-10 flushes IME to start getting wax out.

Once you do get the wax out your ear will feel AMAZING. It will feel clean and you'll be able to hear soo much better. It will make even your "good ear" seem clogged lol

So, if it is wax, and you do get it out, you should feel awesome after.

I don't like water and liquid in my ear but I put up with it for the end result.

If you see no results from this then I would head to your doctor.
    I've always had excessive wax in my ears too. I use this same method and it works great! i also use the Debrox. It always drains out of my ears, even with cotton balls in there, so I just lay sideways on the couch for about 10 minutes per side to let the oily stuff do it's job. Do that twice a day for a couple days and then rinse your ear with the bulb syringe.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Could it be sinus related? Whenever I have a sinus infection my ear becomes clogged and infected as well

yeah, am somewhat the expert in sinus infections and your ears get involved when swelling shuts down the drainage. They can itch or plain old hurt.

Best bet, if the wax is not the problem, and this is an unsual problem for you? You should see a doctor. Usually a quick visit, not too involved.

You may also have allergies and OTC antihistimins can help-some pretty good ones out there these days.

But I got the most relief from recurrring sinus and ear probelms by changing my diet referred to in another thread...and seeing a chiroprator. Your sinus and ears drain down near your neck. It makes sense. But get a good one, preferably with additional training- the one I see has taken regular MD courses in Orthopedics and Neurology and regularly takes advantage of additional opportunities offered in association with a leading US medical school.

Most of the good chiroprators also work with holistic MDs (licensed in the USA as MDs), accupuncturists and other alternative methods.

Might want to look into it.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

No ear problems here, just sympathy for your sad ear. Hope it gets sorted soon and painlessly!

But I love your title, and thought I would share my cool vision of aliens exploding out of an ear. (Not yours of course.) Like the movie Alien. Awesome.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Great advice from Thoroughbred Fancy.

I do something similar, as I get the "clogged ear thing" every 4-6 months or so.

I use the blue bulb thing that comes with the ear wax kit.

I get in the shower and let hot water run into the bad ear.

I wash my hair, etc, refilling ear with more hot water a few times.

I fill up a glass of hot water and fill the bulb completely -- this means sucking up a bulb full of water, turning it tip up, squeezing out the rest of the air, then sucking up more water.

I then fit the tip into my ear canal, and use both hands to squeeze the bulb.

It takes anywhere from 5-15 times to clear the blockage, but it works 100% of the time, and as TB Fancy wrote, it feels so good and so clean once you've gotten it clear! It will be sudden and miraculous when you can suddenly hear again - -and you will also be (no doubt) grossed out and amazed at how much comes out of your ear! AND.... some of it will likely be black, the part in the deepest recesses that is stuck there and causing you problems now.

It's very easy to remedy this at home by doing the above, but I personally have had zero luck with the ear drops that came with my blue squeezy bulb.

Thanks for the advice guys!!! I too can't resist the image of aliens exploding out of my ears. Yes, it would suck. But sure would be cool-looking!

I've never had this happen before - I guess there's a first time for everything I haven't had any allergies lately - never been an allergy person really. So I will give cleaning it out a try (I like the idea of doing it in the shower!) and if that doesn't resolve it, off to the doc I go. I hate going there though...lots of sick people. Ick.

The "shower thing" really does work.

Just keep in mind that you are trying to jet that out of there with water, so be forceful in your bulb squeezing. Keep after it -- it WILL work!!!

I have this happen if I sleep on my right side (my left side doesn't clog up, just the right side).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Sometimes I sleep with a heating pad under the side of my head (ear) and that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by IneedanOTdayAlter View Post
    The "shower thing" really does work.

Just keep in mind that you are trying to jet that out of there with water, so be forceful in your bulb squeezing. Keep after it -- it WILL work!!!

Doesn't that hurt?
    My ears stay clogged for days after a swim, and I can't even dive anymore because it HURTS...I can't imagine forcing water down inside my ear canal...ugh.
    But that "clean, miraculously sharp hearing" feeling sounds sooo good....
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Doesn't that hurt?
    My ears stay clogged for days after a swim, and I can't even dive anymore because it HURTS...I can't imagine forcing water down inside my ear canal...ugh.
    But that "clean, miraculously sharp hearing" feeling sounds sooo good....
    Doesn't hurt a bit!

I should have added that I always suck back OUT of the ear 5-8 times after it is all clear, and that gets the remaining water out of there. Then I dry it well and go off on my merry way!

Has anyone ever tried the ear wax candles? I found them once at a shop in the middle of nowhere. They have a tapered end and are hollow. You insert them, light them and the chimney action sucks up the gunk in your ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Has anyone ever tried the ear wax candles? I found them once at a shop in the middle of nowhere. They have a tapered end and are hollow. You insert them, light them and the chimney action sucks up the gunk in your ear.
    I saw them on TV once and thought they looked neat, but I'm enough of a klutz that I'm pretty sure I'd either set myself or the curtains on fire, and so I've never tried them!