The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is this normal?

So I am a working student at my barn, and I have a very good relationship with my trainers. So heres the situation, a friend of my is searching for a new horse. She is going to look at one in a couple days with my trainers. My trainer asked if I wouldnlike to come. Is this normal for the working student to go? Or should I just stay out of it?

It's a learning opportunity that seems (to me) directly related to your job - why would you not go?

Why wouldn't it be normal? I'm assuming as a working student you are interested in the day to day running of an equestrian business...well sales are a part of many.

If you feel uncomfortable because it is YOUR friend - ask her if she's okay with it. A good friend wouldn't mind you coming along and may want your input. If all is okay, then go and have a good time :-)

I'm not worried about my friend, I think she would like the company actually. I just didn't know if it was more a trainer to client type of thing, but I do think it would be a good learning experience and I want to go. Thanks everybody for your help!

ditto, not weird. I had someone tag along when I was looking at horses and it was actually nice to have some company!

I think it would be good for you to go. If you feel that you are intruding at any point, just step back out of earshot and let them talk, for example if they start talking $$ and you don't want to be in the middle of it

I go EVERY time my trainer asks me to accompany her on a shopping expedition. I've never been with her while shopping for a friend, at least not that I'm aware of. Never pass up on an opportunity to learn, or make connections!!!!!
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Oooh I would definitely go! Allintexas has a good point about stepping back if more sensitive issues are discussed (usually just money!), and probably waiting to ask any questions later on with your trainer.

I sat in on a PPE for a pony (it was really a re-evaluation since the lease was expiring and they needed to decide to buy it or continue shopping). It was just my trainer and the vet there (other adults and the rider were at work/school) but it was really interesting! I had a few questions but waited until there was an appropriate moment so I wouldn't interrupt. But I learned a lot, and it was fun to live the experience vicariously
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

If trainer asked you to go then go, but be more ears and eyes then mouth... except to complement the horse if the horse deserves it.. oh he's lovely/sweet, nice jump etc but not over the top..

have fun