The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mac Cone as a Clinician?

I was wondering if anyone here has ridden with Mac Cone and would be willing to share their experience? My Dad and I have signed up for a clinic with him the end of October, and we're both super excited to ride with him. Any words of wisdom as to what we should nail down before the clinic, or his general approach to teaching in general would be greatly appreciated.

I took a clinic with him a few years ago. He was pretty good. Quite grumpy, but good. It was a while ago, but IIRC he did lots of square turns. So instead of a circle he would have you do a square or rectangle. He would make you gallop down the long side then sit deep through the corner and to the jump. That's about all I remember but overall a good clinic.

Hmm... So with that being said, do you think he'd be more appropriate to take a jumper to than a hunter, or would he tailor his exercises to a hunter a bit? I've got the option to take either a really nice (but somewhat green) hunter, or my super hot but brave 1m jumper. Dad will be taking his nearly made 3' hunter regardless.