The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 19 hands OTTB - Canter AZ

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ainer-listings

"Sir Phil
    Sir Phil (better call him sir) this bay gelding stands 19h and is even more impressive in person than in his pictures. He started 58 races and won seven. He never had a serious injury and is sound to this day. Altough 11 years old he is still strong and athlectic and could probably pull the Budweiser Beer wagon if they let him. His trainer says he is very intelligent and tired of being unemployed. Should have a long productive second career. "

Big fellow!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I thought 17h was tall!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Wow! Now I want a beer cart and Sir Phil!

Dang, the tallest TB I have ever seen was 18 hands, and he really took your breath away... I can't imagine a 19 hander!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

are we sure its not a typo?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I'm voting for a catch your eye sales ad. Usually when someone has, oh, I dunno, one of the taller TBs on the planet, they like to stand 'em up with a person next to them.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

19 hands and over are for the world tallest horses out there.
    I seriously doubt any TB ever reached 19hds.
    More than 17 yes, 18 maybe but 19? No way.

And as for me, he doesn't look that impressive in the pictures.

ETA : How the hell would this horse fitted with its rider in the starting gate?

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    19 hands and over are for the world tallest horses out there.
    I seriously doubt any TB ever reached 19hds.
    More than 17 yes, 18 maybe but 19? No way.

And as for me, he doesn't look that impressive in the pictures.

ETA : How the hell would this horse fitted with its rider in the starting gate?

My cousin had a 17+h TB, it was a very tight fit...caused some problems down the road...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My TB's about 17hh (maybe more now, d@mned horse keeps growing) and I that's big enough for me... 19hh would be a little terrifying.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

In looking at the photos I can tell you he's not an honest 19 hands. Nope. I had a 17 hand TB if you measured him at the tippy top of his Shark fin withers, just like this guys but his real height was about 16.2 1/2.

I have owned an 18.3 Clydesdale-yup we sticked him(at his back) and My stick goes to 18.3 hands. We would either stand on the pool deck or the back of the truck to mount him. In case you want to do the math, Doc was just a 'smidge' over 6 feet tall at the back.

don't get me wrong, that's a tall TB, but I doubt he's a true 19 hands. I don't typically measure then at the shoulder, just b/c Tb's especially can have those big withers. I measure them at the center of the back and at their hip for a more true height.

Nice looking boy though, I wish I were closer.

Typo. The fence he is standing next to would probably be 4ft. 19 hands is 6'4"
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Ha! I saw him on the Canter AZ site the other day and thought "Hm...", and then "I don't think so "

I can only imagine the special considerations that would go into having a horse that size... trailer, hay, blanket, trying to get him around a dressage sized arena! Hopefully he finds a good home soon, seems a lot of people are into height.

I had a TB who was just shy of 18h, but he also had tall withers. He was a BIG guy and (obviously) not very fast with his long and slightly uncoordinated legs. He finally grew into himself at age 7 and is currently doing well as a jumper as he can practically step over 3'6
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I used to work in a racing stable and the stable next door had an 18hh 3yo, he was a pretty solid build too, he was only in work for a couple of weeks before he went out for a spell with knee problems.

According to this website the tallest Thoroughbred recorded was Le Grand Cheval who measured 19.2hh and was inducted into the Guinness Book of World Records in 1994, at the time tying for height w/ the largest living horse.
    I love the quote on the website! "People often asked me why I bought a horse that big. I told them that I had to buy him because if I ever told someone that I saw a horse that big they would never believe me."
    So it's not impossible, if we believe these sources. I doubt the horse pictured on CANTER is 19hh, though.
    As an aside, I recall reading a quip in the Quarter Horse Journal several years ago about an 18.1hh QH who was tallest currently registered.
    Those outliers can happen w/ any breed. Though in the case of AQHA they seem to be breeding them ever larger as time goes on.

So do they make 7 step mounting blocks?

Cloudy had a girlfriend at one barn who was 18.2. She was still growing! But not a TB. She was an american holsteiner, whatever that is.

Someone get the guy. He can step over the jumps.

I can't imagine anyone wanting a 19 hand TB or a 19 hand anything to ride...but then I think 14:2 is about a perfect size. I've ridden an 18 hand TB and it was like mounting a camel and he moved like one. No thanks!

The tallest TB I've known was a solid 18hh. I'm 5'9" and to really groom him well over his back and rump required a step stool; I could reach but I couldn't see from the ground to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Sir Phil sure looks nice though, I like his face a lot. He would go nicely with my Sir William Lewis, too bad he's in AZ and I need another horse like I need a hole in my head.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

Sir Phil sure looks nice though, I like his face a lot. He would go nicely with my Sir William Lewis, too bad he's in AZ and I need another horse like I need a hole in my head.

Well as an enabler only can, I figured I would mention the fact that I live near this horse and will be hauling an otherwise empty trailer to east Tennessee (close to Knoxville) in 4 weeks. Anyone wants to meet me there or on the way just let me know
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by classicsporthorses View Post
    In looking at the photos I can tell you he's not an honest 19 hands. Nope. I had a 17 hand TB if you measured him at the tippy top of his Shark fin withers, just like this guys but his real height was about 16.2 1/2.

I have owned an 18.3 Clydesdale-yup we sticked him(at his back) and My stick goes to 18.3 hands. We would either stand on the pool deck or the back of the truck to mount him. In case you want to do the math, Doc was just a 'smidge' over 6 feet tall at the back.

don't get me wrong, that's a tall TB, but I doubt he's a true 19 hands. I don't typically measure then at the shoulder, just b/c Tb's especially can have those big withers. I measure them at the center of the back and at their hip for a more true height.

Nice looking boy though, I wish I were closer.
    I guess I don't understand this? I guess I thought that if a horse measures 17h at its withers, it is a 17h horse. I have never in my life seen a horseperson measure the center of the back.

Not to say there aren't lots of "17h" horses that measure 16.2 at the withers, but one that measures a true 17h but happens to have high withers is still 17h.

That said, I doubt the thing is a true 19h -- but after about 18 who cares, it is TOO BIG!

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post

Well as an enabler only can, I figured I would mention the fact that I live near this horse and will be hauling an otherwise empty trailer to east Tennessee (close to Knoxville) in 4 weeks. Anyone wants to meet me there or on the way just let me know
    LOL, will he fit on your trailer?
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.