The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Barn Dust Control Help Needed

I know, barns are just dusty but I'm curious to know how other people deal with it. One of our biggest concerns is that the stall fans get coated and make us nervous about fire. One of our old guys has COPD and sometimes we have a hard time in the summer keeping him comfortable. I'm sure every other barn owner in the country has the same problem but I'm hoping to get some advice on how to manage dust (cobwebs too if anyone feels like addressing that issue). Thanks.

We use fans intended for barns, sealed motor, thermal protection. We also clean with a webster or broom. End of the season the fans get hosed off. The barn we use a shop vac and then pressure wash once a year. I also use the leaf blower to get at the cobwebs I can reach.

Fans we use are the valutek from qc supply, they have a website

I hate dusty barns, but like you said, it's almost impossible to be dust-free. Bedding no matter what kind is the biggest contributor. My one mare is so neat in her stall that not enough bedding is taken out before it seems to turn to dust.

What kind of floors are in the barn is also a big one. I find dirt floors in the stalls seem to stir up a lot of dust when being cleaned and mats help with that. Same with dirt or stone dust aisleways, even if watered before raking I find there is too much dust. Concrete or asphalt with mats down the center is a good solution. Even then a light misting with hose or watering can before sweeping up helps.

Also, sweeping up hoof pickings right away and not picking out in stalls saves the clumps from drying out to dust.

Shop-vac and Swiffer dusters on a long pole are great for dust/cobweb removal. It's just a never ending battle to keep up with it seems.

And keeping good airflow through the barn seems to keep the webs down some.

Our newest barn's doors face North and South so the air flow really helps. The old barn's doors face West and East - it is alway dusty with cobwebs.

Air flow seems to help quite a bit. I think clay stalls and cement walkways help too.

Enclosed motor fans are the only way to go. They cost less than a set of shoes on a horse and are much safer. I don't understand why people spend thousands on a barn, horse, tack, etc. Then $11 for a cheap box fan that is a fire hazard.

I just cleaned decades of hay/straw out of the loft over the horses to improve air quality in our barn. It's great for insulation but it holds down a lot of dust and mold spores!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by beaulilly View Post
    Swiffer dusters on a long pole are great for dust/cobweb removal. .
    Try a webster