The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ontario <Living life for the journey not the destination>

Thumbs up How many pregnancies did you try for and what...

Now that the 2011 breeding season is over lets talk about the season.
    How many mares did you try to get pregnant? How many did you get pregnant? How many cycles did it take each mare to get pregnant? What was the biggest issue you dealt with when trying to get the mare(s) pregnant? Also if you could include the age of your mare(s) that would be helpful too. Was your weather normal or did that play a factor in the results?

I will go first.

I tried to get 6 pregnant. I did get all 6 infoal! Weather here went from a really WET spring to a super dry/hot June/July. But overall I do not think that played a role in my pregnancy results.

3 of them caught on the first cycle easy with no issues. They were all 11 yrs old and under.

1 took two cycles and with her she did not ovulate on time the first go around. Second cycle we used a drug to help her *let go* of the egg This mare was under 10 yrs old.

2 of them took three cycles. One mare had a foal at foot which was taking a lot out of her and she is getting older now. She is 15. The third cycle we flushed her after breeding and used Oxytocin. The other mare who took 3 cycles is 18 yrs old and has a couple cysts in her uterus and we also found out she needs to be on a thyroid supplement now.

I am happy with how the season ended, although I hope to get the mares pregnant 1or 2 cycles in 2012. 3 cycles puts my foals born too late into the year.

I have 3 due in April, 1 due in May and 2 due in June. Here is a link to my mares and who they are in foal to http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com/mares.html
    Anyone interested in new pictures of my mares and foals can check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blazin...88357061189488

So how did all you guys do this season? Were you pleased overall with the efforts or hope 2012 bring better results?
    http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com

Join us on FACEBOOK
    Living life for the journey, not the destination.

Mid May foal

Waited 30 days and 15 year old mare came back with an infection. Recultured and yep... it was a true positive.

Then a cyst that was ruptured.

The mare never cycled properly. It was July by this point.

Missed a cycle so now we're into August.

The mare never really had obvious heats this year like she did last year but we went ahead and bred (frozen) and there was an embryo but it was small and was gone on the next check.

Vet thought the late season had something to do with it. She would come in soo quickly and big but wouldn't have good cl's.

Didn't try again and will start earlier next year.
    Last edited by back in the saddle; Sep. 4, 2011 at 09:47 AM.

My mare is 18 and caught first try with chilled semen on her first cycle after foaling heat. The stud where she lives had 11 of 12 mares catch first time with a variety of frozen and chilled. The mares vary in age from 3 to 18.

The only mare that didn't get pregnant first cycle is notoriously difficult to get in foal. She scanned in foal after her second attempt and had a positive heartbeat scan but has subsequently slipped the foetus. She is being retired from broodmare duties and brought back into work as she is only young, 6 or 7 years old.

The weather was a very long, very cold winter followed by a hot, dry spring and a cool, wet summer. I don't think it played a part in whether the mares got pregnant or not.

Bred 2 and both caught first try. 1 mare is 17 and was open (by choice). The other was short cycled after her foal heat and is 12. Both were bred with fresh chilled
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I bred two mares this year both caught first try.

First mare is 14yrs old and was bred on her 30 day post foaling heat with fresh cooled.

Second mare is 6yrs old and was bred on her 30 day post foaling heat with frozen.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

I bred two mare this year.

The first mare is 16 years old with a foal by side. She took on the first try with cooled semen.

The second mare is 16 years old with a foal by side. She took the first try with fresh cooled, checked in foal at 18 days, slipped the foal by 35 days. She is on her second try with cooled semen and has checked in foal at 18 days. She is on regumate and hopefully will stay pregnant as it is too late to try again this year.

I bred three, and all three took first cycle.
    One was barren (12 yrs old, last foal in 2010)Bred with Fresh , the other two were in their 30 day cycles post foaling. (10yr old- Frozen and 16yr old - Fresh)

Weather here has been strange, we had an endless spring then a really hot spell, and now it feels like fall.

What month did everyone inseminate?

Ontario <Living life for the journey not the destination>

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    What month did everyone inseminate?
    I started in May so my mares who caught first cycle are due in April.
    http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com

Join us on FACEBOOK
    Living life for the journey, not the destination.

I bred three with a very late start. The mares I bred had all been open for a couple years. First year in the PNW and the rain just didnt stop so it messed up my sense of timing. Started getting everyone done at the beginning of August. First mare (13 yrs)with frozen, everything went fine- she is a new mare for me so we'll wait and see. Second mare with fresh (20 yrs).. we had a string of bad luck for the past two years with her, so Im really hoping its a go. And the third mare (11 yrs)with frozen... she has not kept her embryos past the 45 day mark so we have her on regumate to see if that will help things. Since we may be moving 'again', I called it quits and let the mares that foaled this year have a break.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

I bred quite a few mares. If I don't sell those foals, then I will leave quite a few open next year, but I had tons more people that wanted to buy the 2011 foals I had for sale than I actually had foals to sell them!

Everyone caught fine. I had a couple that needed a second cycle, but those were mostly because I tried too early in the year and I think they were still transitional.

I had one mare that I could not get in foal. She is imported, big show record, an absolutely fabulous mare. She is 10 years old, and her last foal is 4 this year. I have not been able to get her in foal since him. We cultured her last summer and found a psudamonas infection. Treated that, no dice on breeding, cultured again -- fungal infection. Vet thought she cleared it on her own, so tried to breed her this spring. Nothing. Cultured again -- still had fungal infection. Sent her to the vet's to be treated. Vet was haying -- treated, but not diligently. Brought her home, tried to breed. Nothing. Sent her with a friend to California to be worked on by her repro lady. Still had the fungal infection. Treated. Just go the biopsy results back yesterday..... IIb. I am heartbroken.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Do you think all the fungal infections cuased the IIb?

I bred 2; both youngish, proven mares (ages 7 & 9). One had a foal at her side. One was open.

Bred the open mare x1 in late June for a May 28th foal.

Bred the one with foal at foot x1 early July for a June 28th foal.

Both caught with chilled shipped semen from 2 different stallions. No big issues (knock wood).

Just had everybody checked and they are both still in foal at 64 days & 92 days....

Now, watch 'em both foal on the same day!

Both these mares are good girls and in the past have almost always caught w/1 insemination.

BTW, I have bred as late as mid-Sept and got an early Aug. foal....in fact one of these mares was born Aug 7-9th (thereabout) and she was frozen semen foal.

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    Do you think all the fungal infections cuased the IIb?
    What is IIb???
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I had two bred after synchronizing both and only on one cycle. Both are pregnant. Both were maiden mares at 12 and 10 years old. Weather has been typical for the desert, HOT. I too bred my mares in May.
    Last edited by exvet; Sep. 4, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyadawn View Post
    What is IIb???
    Biopsy score.. IIb isn't good. see this post: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=233581

I tried to breed 6 mares. 5 got pregnant on the first try.

Mare 1 (12yrs) was bred on foal heat (frozen)
    Mares 2 & 3 (6yrs & 10yrs) were short cycled after foal heat (frozen)
    Mares 4 & 5 (7 yrs & 6 yrs) were open (fresh & frozen).

Mare 6 (6 yrs) was open (fresh) and had a discharge at the 14 day preg check. She was diagnosed with a pseudomonas infection which we battled for the rest of the summer. No pregnancy.

We had a VERY wet spring and it took a long time for the open mares to start cycling, but once they did, it was smooth sailing.

W bred 4 and all 4 took on first cycle. A first for us.

3 year old - fresh; bred in April - Maiden
    12 year old - fresh; bred in April - Open
    6 year old - frozen; bred in May = cycle after 30 day. folicles at 30 day didn't look right so we skipped.
    6 year old - fresh; bred in June = short cycled after foal heat

We usually use all frozen so this is a first for us breeding with 3 fresh. Time will tell next year if the fresh foals sell as well as the frozen. A proof of concept year for us.
    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.

We tried with 4 but only have 2 confirmed in foal (in the 2 week wait with a 3rd)...weather here was really wet then really hot and dry. All mares currently have a foal at foot.
    1st mare (13 yrs old) took 2 tries with frozen, due 5/28/12
    2nd mare (10 years old) took first try with fresh, due 6/27/12
    3rd mare (16 years old) tried 3 times with fresh then switched stallions (also fresh) and we are awaiting her preg check (fingers crossed!!). If she's pregnant this time, she'll get next year off. She's never been a problem breeder before and I was so hoping for a full sister to this years colt that I LOVE...
    4th mare (18 years old) tried once with frozen then she shut down and was not cycling and it was already late so we will start early next year, possibly even do ET.

Its interesting that most of the people posting have had good luck this breeding year and most of them have used fresh, chilled semen. Is this just conincidence? Are there any frozen breeders on the board willing to add their experiences to this thread?