The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default looking for a backyard barn to retire my guy...

I am looking for someone with an extra stall that I could retire my guy to. Low key and calm is what I want. He is not being ridden, maybe just ground driving which can be done anywhere. I would prefer he has a stall to go in and out of and some company. We are located in the Orange county New York area...he is an easy keeper and very pretty to look at. of course...

Thanks
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Are you looking to stay in that area? It's cheaper up here/NH/VT area, a lot of the times, but it is a farther drive...

I'm 90 miles north of NYC in northern Dutchess County, near the CT border. I'm full, but if you want to look at the farm I'd be happy to show you around. The facebook page for the farm is in my sig. line below.

We offer retirement board down here in NC have several with "absentee" owners and send them frequent updates/photos. We have a very quiet environment even tho I do teach and train here, but everything is low key and lessons are private so not a really "busy" barn.

What are your rates?

Hi!
    I used to live in Orange County! I think you should be able to find something nearby, it is just a matter of making connections.
    First, I would network with farriers, vets, and any horse organizations you belong to. Check out the tack stores and feed stores bulletin boards. Try a poster there yourself - don't forget the feed stores that cater to all livestock, they may have more of the backyard type owners. You can also call the Cooperative Extension Office in Middletown. You can talk to the horse agent, but I think the 4-H Agent in charge of the horse program (used to be Tom Davis) might be able to tell you some 4-H leaders' names (they may or may not be suitable, do your due diligence!)
    Good luck! I was fortunate that my barn owner knew of a retirement barn when I had to make that decision for my horse.

I really want to keep him close. I had a really bad experience with one barn and he was 10 minutes away. If I hadn't been there god knows what would have happened. So at this point sending him away would not sit well with me but thanks for the offers. My farrier is trying to help me, I am actually trying to get him to take us on but he has no room!
    I am very protective of my guy..I want him happy where ever he lands...
    Unfortunately, cost is an issue or I would just keep him where we are but it is getting to expensive for me...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

I also do retirement boarding but I'd be about 90 minutes south of you, so that sounds farther than you'd like to go.

I agree with MsM's recommendation. Are there any local trainers that you respect that you could ask? Word of mouth does seem to be the best way to find some of the smaller barns.

Good luck!

I definitely would put the word out that you're looking to everyone you know in the horse world. I just took in a retiree (my trainer's) to board to be a companion to my gelding. If she hadn't needed a place for her horse I would have been looking for someone else. To find a boarder I likely would have put the word out to trainers, vets and farriers that I knew to avoid having to put an ad on Craigslist and deal with the crazies.

I'm sure I'm not the only one willing to provide full care board at cost plus a bit for my time to do feet/blankets/fly masks/grooming for the tradeoff of not having to take on the costs of a companion horse.