The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default to sell or not to sell...

my saddle.

I have a Collegiate Event Saddle that has been sitting on its very padded stand in the corner of my room for the past several years. I love this saddle, it is very comfy, fits most horses with its wide tree, the flocking is in great shape, the leather (besides needing to be conditioned,its squeaky). I have had it for over 10 years and I have been its sole owner. The billets are in great shape, and I even still have the big billet keeper flap thing still on there! There is only one cosmetic blemish where my leatherman poked a hole though its holster and rubbed a small star on the seat, but it buffed out quite well.

I have not used it in 4 years. I do not have my own horse, and most likely will not own one in several more years. I graduate with my undergrad in May and then start grad school in the fall. I hate seeing it sit around and not get used, its such a nice saddle, its like a sofa. Am I holding on to the past keeping it? I would not try to make much money off it, just a couple hundred bucks.

But what I am afraid of happening is, I sell it, and then a opportunity arises where I get a ride and then I need it.

I should just keep it shouldn't I?
    also, just because I am completing my undergrad I do not want you to think that I am in my early 20's, I am in my mid-30's if that info helps you.

advice? opinions?

TIA!

Keep.

I should have read "Tack Hoarders" first....you guys are all going to tell me to keep it.

Keep. You know what you have; you know its quality, and its fit for many horses. Trying to replace a saddle like that...nope. It isn't like the saddle's feelings are going to get hurt just sitting there looking pretty! and if you get the chance to ride, you'll be grateful to sit in something that nice.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Keep. Just look up on line what saddles are selling for and you will go hug that saddle, I promise you.

It doesn't cost you to keep it. Give it a good conditioning and toss a towel over it to keep the dust off.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

thanks guys,

I will do just that. I am off to get some conditioner.

MSJ~ it sits perched on a very padded saddle rack IN a fleece saddle bag. I am too anal about the care of my horse stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    thanks guys,

I will do just that. I am off to get some conditioner.

MSJ~ it sits perched on a very padded saddle rack IN a fleece saddle bag. I am too anal about the care of my horse stuff.
    Hee hee hee, You're as bad as I am. Well then, take it out of the saddle bag, condition it, and put it back. Do keep it though.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Go read some of the threads regarding people and their great saddle search sagas. You will go hug your saddle and apologize profusely for ever even thinking about selling it. I've been through H3LL trying to find a saddle to fit me, and I found one. It's a med tree, and my horse now needs a wide. I cannot find this saddle in a wide at all, in fact, I've never seen another saddle like the one I have. You will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands-- in fact, I might just be buried with it. On that note, has anyone ever come across an 18' Millers (aka Crosby) Bruce Davidson edition DRESSAGE saddle with a wide tree? I've found a lot of jumping saddles, but this is a dressage saddle. I've decided that the next time I'm looking for a horse, the #1 priority will be that my saddle has to fit.