The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

sparklingprouncer1 Guest

Default Best stallion for half arabian mare out of Rubignon?

Need a suggestion for a preferably, Oldenburg stallion. Mare is cute but nothing like her father Rubignon. Going to take pics tomorrow. She is a an oookaaay mover. Needs tons of work. Has only been a trail horse. Her current owner is looking to sell her asap and I am considering taking her in to breed. Love the Hilltop stallions but too close of a relationship? If anyone else interested she is for sale cheap! Will try to post pics as soon as I get back from the barn tomorrow! Thanks

First of all, your title is a little confusing: "out of" means the mares side and "by" means the sire, so you are talking about a mare "By Rubignon" (not out of Rubignon).
    Secondly, if she is only "oookaaay" she probably shouldn't be bred, particularly in this market. If you are just talking about her trot, and her walk and canter are good, and her conformation is great, then maybe you can think about breeding her. however, if she is just a cute little mare with 3 mediocre gaits, you should pass. Sorry :-(

Sorry, not to breed was my first thought too based on your description and the urgency (for cheap) with which you'd like to sell her.

The OP is brand new here. Two, she is not the current owner. Three, she is interested in picking up a mare whose owner cannot keep it. She is asking for suggestions on stallions who are proven to IMPROVE gaits. She didn't ask should I or shouldn't I.

OP, I'm a little confused by your post. Are you buying the mare to keep and breed? Or are you trying to find a buyer for the mare?
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Cant talk about improvements without photo and video. Though as others have mentioned stallions can 'help' but rarely improve any major flaws. I have a Rubignon, but she is outstanding, so my choices are going to be different than if I was looking at a mare that needed a lot of help. OP if you can at least get photos that would give breeders here a chance to give more helpful advice.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

sparklingprouncer1 Guest

Thanks for the ... If I do take this mare I would breed to keep the foal not sell it. Im not a breeder so the market is fine. I have a TB mare that I will be breeding next spring to either Bugatti or donnarweiss so I thought it would be great to let the foals grow up together. She isn't hideous or anything. I got to play with her to try and get some pics and she moves out way better when not under saddle. I only have one horse so if 1 turns to 4 no biggie and thank you oakstable that is exactly what I was thinking but now im afraid. I think you are a neighbor oakstable! My mare and the half arab are at Sundance Ranch! But if anyone really has any suggestions on a stallion it would be cool. Thank you. (P.S. yes she is by rubignon. Sorry) I can't figure out how to post pics! I can email them! Thanks

sparklingprouncer1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by misita View Post
    OP, I'm a little confused by your post. Are you buying the mare to keep and breed? Or are you trying to find a buyer for the mare?
    Im sorry it is a bit confusing. I am just hoping she gets a good home. I was just going to ask about stallions when I realized I should have posted her for sale first! To try to help. The owner is stuck because he has no time for her and he doesn't want to pay board for her to just sit. He has been asking me to help and I posted a pictureless ad on craigslist and equine.com but nothing and I didn't have time to take pics of my own. So if she gets a good home that's awesome but if she is still hanging out I might take her and breed her. I am gunna start to play with her when I can now.

Since you dont have any photos (yet), maybe start with a critical eye and write down what you see needs to be improved. For example, length of leg, overall height, better neck placement.. then a list of what you like about her or her strengths. Certain stallions are known for stamping traits better than others. Are you breeding for a lower level dressage horse for yourself, an eventer, or hunter ? Has the mare been inspected with a registry or do you want to look at a stallion whose offspring may be eligible for a studbook with an unapproved dam? Those are good places to start and everyone can throw out their ideas. If you are already looking at the Hilltop stallions for repeat /multi mare discount that will also help narrow things down too.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Without seeing her, this is really a shot in the dark, but here goes...

Frohwind has been a very successful cross with Arabian mares. Rubignon seems to have similar conformation to a sport type Arab (shorter neck and back from what I've seen in pix) so my guess is that maybe this mare could use a little more length here? Certainly something to look into, though I believe he is only available by frozen semen now, so not sure if you're willing to do that.

As for Hilltop stallions, Bugatti would be line breeding to Rubinstein so you would need to consider whether you would want to do that. Would probably be a great temperament :-) (and I'm not dissing Arabs here- I love Arabs, I am pointing out what Bugatti and Rubinstein are known for)
    Contucci can add size, which might be nice for a half Arab, but consider the length of back first. He did add freedom of shoulder to my filly, which I was hopiong for.
    Donnerweiss has nice movement and a good jump too. He tends to improve the hip and would probably keep a pretty head on the baby.

I don't have firsthand experience with any of their other stallions but if you send pictures or video or just a good description of the mare to Natalie (the Breeding Director) she can help you make a good pick. Best of luck.

OP, Yes, I'm just over in Live Oak Canyon.

Merijane Malouin, a USDF sporthorse breed judge, lives in Banning. Contact her and see what she'd charge to come evaluate both mares, assuming the TB has not been scored.

Merijane bred Arabians back in the day so appreciates them but also knows what to look for to improve.

She does a fair amount of judging so sees sporthorses across the spectrum.

Once you have the objective evaluation, you can ask for insights on stallions with success in improving x, y and z.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    The OP is brand new here. Two, she is not the current owner. Three, she is interested in picking up a mare whose owner cannot keep it. She is asking for suggestions on stallions who are proven to IMPROVE gaits. She didn't ask should I or shouldn't I.
    THIS! ..

I would second and third Frohwind. He is a known 'nick' with Arab type mares. I have three Frohwind offspring. Two I bred, and are out of a half Arabian mare who sounds much like yours - she was not a 'world beater' but had been my #1 show horse, was mostly a 7 mover in our dressage tests, not built super uphill, but had a heart of gold and more 'try' than any horse I'd ever owned. I bred her the first time because she had a tendon tear and needed close to a year of rehab, with an 'iffy' prognosis to return to work. I knew whatever resulted I would keep. That first foal is now 11 and I just earned my USDF Bronze medal (third level dressage) with her this past winter. She is the first horse I've trained to third level. I liked her so much I bred my mare to Frohwind again - and then also found and purchased a half Arabian weanling by Frohwind. Those two are both 6 now and are both doing super under saddle.

Maybe I just got lucky, but from my experience, Frohwind kids seem to have super work ethics. Every time I clinic with someone they always comment on how hard my horses try and how obedient they are. ONe of my foals out of my half Arab is a bit more like her mom, and the other favors him. the half Arab that I purchased as a weanling definitely took after dad, as he is now 16.3! he is the most talented - last year he was in the top 20 in the nation in the USDF amateur standings, and his median at training level was a 69. And that was with me, a middle-aged amateur, riding and training him. My younger filly won her Old/NA mare performance test with a premium score.

They are only doing frozen with Frohwind now, as I think he is 28. But the quality of his frozen is very good and I have a friend whose mare is in foal to him now.

I have another friend with two Frohwind half Arab offspring and they've done super in the show ring in both open and Arabian competition.

Here is a clip of my half Arab Frohwind gelding during a recent clinic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOx4CIaPm2Q

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    I'm not sure any of the people who posted their opinions that the mare maybe should not be bred asked to be scolded by you either, but it did not stop you.

I strongly feel it's a legitimate opinion, and the OP can decide whether to stop and think about it, or disregard the opinion. It certainly would be nice for the horse population as a whole if MORE people spent more time evaluating whether or not a mare should be bred at all before asking for stallion suggestion. IMHO of course...