The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bruno Delgrange saddles

Over the next few months I'll be saving for a new saddle that fits the new horse correctly. Have been considering multiple options and looking at used as well as considering new.

I was thinking about a devoucoux but today my coach also mentioned looking into the Delgrange saddles.

Any opinions/reviews on these. How are they to ride in, which model do you find best for jumper land. How are new ones to break in (my current saddle took forever and a day to break in).

Our local rep will be at shows near me for the next few week, so will probably go check them out.

Thanks.

I have a newer Delgrange - it's about 10 months old at this point. The model I went for was the Etoile, which has a medium-ish memory foam(!) seat. Suuuuper comfy. Flaps are as far forward as Delgrange makes them and I daresay it's the first saddle that's properly fit my leg. Best of all, it fits my difficult-to-fit gelding.

When I had my Delgrange rep out, I test rode every saddle in their line, save for the dressage and cross-country monoflap models. With every saddle, the balance was absolutely exquisite. I've never found two-point easier, and the first time I jumped in one it felt like I was wearing a seatbelt.

Ultimately, it came down to which model I felt most comfortable actually sitting in. For some reason, the Delgrange pommel bothered my lady bits in some models. Once I eliminated those, I just had to figure out the one that suited the shape of my butt the best.

The Partition is probably the most popular model, and I know a fair number of jumper riders who ride in it. Mario Deslauriers rides has one and there are a few upper level jumpers who use them here. I do the jumpers (1.0m/1.10m, and hopefully a bit bigger next year!) and feel extremely secure in my Etoile. I know of a 1.40m rider who rides in the Athena and feels fine in it, so I think it really comes down to which one you feel best in. I will say that Delgrange is terrible about updating their website, and have come out with at least two saddles that aren't online - the Etoile (which came out sometime last year - I got the third one ever made, or maybe fourth) and the monoflap XC saddle. Your rep should have the full lineup available, though.

Mine broke in very quickly. My rep oiled mine before she handed it over, and I started out feeling like I wasn't riding in a brand new saddle. It's never been slippery, and it's only gotten better with time! The leather is soft, grippy, and has broken in absolutely beautifully. I know people who have shown with them days after delivery and been completely fine.

In my personal experience Delgrange customer service has been second to absolutely none, and that is a significant reason I went with Delgrange. My rep has a great reputation, and I never worried that, if the saddle was wrong in some way, they would hesitate to replace it or refund.

If they fit your horse, you like them, and can afford one, they are divine saddles.

Thank Across Sicily. I like the sounds of it as I'm growing more and more unhappy with my current saddle the longer I have to keep it lol. I'm also in Ontario so would probably be using the same Rep (Sara?).

My new horse doesn't look like he'll be hard to fit but he is a big wb cross (not even entirely sure what he is) and is a bit of a different shape then my old TB. Plus I just started getting my back fixed by a chiro as it was very out of alignment. So my current saddle was broken in being ridden in crookedly. So now that I'm sitting straight the saddle shifts to one side

Default I vote for Delgrange as well.

I will admit bias. They are working on updating the main website as well as creating one for North America.

Sara will do a great job of helping you find the right saddle and fit your horse as well.

Canadians have had the rep side a little easier than the US. The same company that handles Canada now handles the US so the customer service will keep on getting better.

I've had my Bruno Delgrange for a little over a year now and I am still gaga over it. I LURVE it. The balance is lovely, the leather is beautiful. It's just a wonderful piece of tack, daresay the nicest I've ever been around. Sometimes I just stare at it, it's sooooo pretty.

I have the Athena, which is the flattest seat available. I do had a problem with the pommel on the Partition and the Virtuose. I was going to get the Athena with a "female" pommel (read: lower), but once I tried the Athena, I didn't need it.

I NEVER felt like I had a break-in period. The rep oiled it before it came and it was pretty supple from the first moment I put it on my horse. I rode in it at a show after having it four days. It's never been slippery. I didn't get full-calf because I want this saddle to last forever. Even with the thicker leather, it felt broken in right away.

This is it the first time I sat it on my horse. It's a little pommel high in that picture as the front of the panels were built up a bit for my very narrow TB, with the typical TB dip behind the withers. It was only the second saddle that has been on that horse that stayed put...and there have been a lot of saddle tried on him. The flaps and skirt have darkened to the color of the seat and knee rolls (two months ago). I've only oiled it once since I got it when I got caught riding in the rain.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Jive - yup, Sara! She's fantastic. I could not have been happier with the service I received. She is super easy to work with and a lot of fun! No pressure sales tactic either. I spent a few weeks hemming and hawing over the saddle and there was never any push... she was always available to answer questions and she is one that gets back to you incredibly quickly. Only good things to say about her.

I ordered mine around this time of year (early October I think? It was a week or two after Tournament) and had it by the Royal. They are good about staying on or ahead of schedule, which my horse's poor back appreciated! Definitely check them out The most you have to lose is a couple of hours.

I love my PJ Pro, and so does my horse, who has a shark-fin wither but is a big WB and can be hard to fit. It is the most comfortable saddle I have ever sat in, and it takes a whole lot to get me jumped loose in it (which was an issue in other tack). Mine broke in right away, I'd say within a couple of weeks. The leather quality is excellent and it has held up beautifully over the past couple of years with very minimal amounts of TLC (I usually just wipe down with a damp cloth). I couldn't be happier with the purchase! Happy shopping!

Love mine! I have the PJ Original.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Quote Originally Posted by alteringwego View Post
    Love mine! I have the PJ Original.
    Me too! I bought it used off a lady that bought it (used) at Indio in 96, I think? I had a Stackhouse for a bit prior to it and my Delgrange is on a whole 'nother level.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I now have the Rep scheduled to come out later this week. Hoping it will work out and I love one of the models.

Have been riding in my trainers saddle this week (devoucoux oldara). Riding in a comfy saddle that sits straight on my horse is heaven.

Of course I'm being told to try out the other brands too. Antares, but not sure if I quite like the look of them. CWD is out for me though.

Hoping the delgrange will be my dream saddle.

I actually just bought a used older Bruno Delgrange, and I love it more than the Butet I had! I felt so balanced and it fits my horse great! I'm in love!

I tried a Delgrange, although I never found one that fit me quite right.

I was always fighting to keep my leg under me.

I ended up with a Devoucoux, however my friend just got a delgrange that is a less popular style that I really really liked.

I think by riding and jumping in both you will be able to tell.

Both are great quality saddles! I hear nothing but great reviews

Test rode the delgranges last night. LOVED it, ordered one. 6-8 of suffering with current saddle and then having saddle bliss.

Horsey loved it, jumped amazing and his trot was floating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive View Post
    Test rode the delgranges last night. LOVED it, ordered one. 6-8 of suffering with current saddle and then having saddle bliss.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Jive View Post

What model did you end up getting?

I really want the Partition!

Congratulations on your new Delgrange!

Which model did you end up choosing?

It's funny how, when you sit in the right one, you just know.

I have a PJ Lite and love it! It is very comfortable for me and my horse, and fits her very well. It broke in very quickly and has turned to a very lovely color that complements my horse perfectly.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I have had both PJ (PJ Light) and Devocoux. Both are wonderful and I think you just have to ride in them to see which fits you best. I think my Equitation was better in the PJ but I love the feel and ride in my Devoucox (which is my current saddle that I traded the PJ in for)... Hard to go wrong in either! I bought both used so don't know about break in...

I ordered the partition (with the added extra cushy memory foam seat )

The depth of the seat was perfect for me. I have a hard time getting my seat out of the saddle over bigger jumps in my current saddle and the partition just made it so easy.

Does anyone know who to go to for fittings and trials in Alberta?
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!