The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Default Sketchy "rescues" soliciting on COTH - AC4H

So, the mods decided to move the fundraising request for AC4H to events. Now, no more responses can be posted.

I think it's high time that COTH take a good, hard look at their requirements for soliciting funds on this forum.

Personally, I don't think just having a 501(c)3 designation is enough. Anyone else ? It's time to make our voices heard.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post

Personally, I don't think just having a 501(c)3 designation is enough. Anyone else ? It's time to make our voices heard.
    So what do you suggest? Voting people off the island? I'm not sure what other specific and provable qualifications are available.

BTW as leeches/mooches/free loaders, we are not entitled to any voice. Sorry.

Edit: On a more serious note, while I don't think anyone needs to be kicked out, I do think people in general need to be encourage to take a closer look at just exactly who they are giving their money to. Although that goes for all aspects of daily life, and who am I to stop people taking money from idiots?

Kicked off...maybe not. At one point, a separate forum was suggested for fund raising and soliciting. I still think it's a good idea.

My biggest problem is the posting on the Events Forum, with no posting allowed. Yes, there's a sucker born every minute, but should COTH help by enabling the frauds?

Do we have to go through this every time AC4H shows up?

From my understanding the only time the rescue arm came under fire was when a PITA buyer met PITA operator. I suppose both got their money's worth out of the public mooning incident.

The mods move the thread, as it is in their discretion to do so.

Personally I don't have the energy to devote to a personal vendetta to an operation 10 states over. I have enough causes near by that need me in shining armor....
    Last edited by Alagirl; Sep. 3, 2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: shpellin...as always
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Do we have to go through this every time AC4H shows up?
    Absolutely, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Absolutely, yes.

I hope you are employing the body's natural defense against stupid: Sarcasm!

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

No, I'm dead serious. After having the pleasure to deal with Christy Shady and seeing what she is really all about I feel it is my duty to expose her at every turn available to me. I didn't have a dog in this fight until experiencing direct harassment by Christy as payback for her friend Beth (of NEER and another one I would like to expose at any opportunity).

You can call it a personal vendetta. I call it an opportunity to warn and educate others who have not yet had the 'pleasure' of being subjected to AC4H's greed and unethical behavior.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think that it is wise for people to look into which charities and other 501c3 orgs they donate to. I however stand behind my opinion that most "rescues" even the 501c3s are hoarders and it really irks me how they beg for money but still bad mouth owners who can't afford to take care of their horses. The truth is that most rescues aren't much better than the people they rescued the horses from. Even if a rescue has its 501c3, that doesn't mean that they are better than those that don't. I do realize that there are some very legitimately rescues that are operated well but there is an overwhelming majority that aren't and I don't want to see them turn COTH into a beggars paradise.

You go sketcher. I was snookered by $am and her sham group CBER years ago, so I thought I smelled a rat when I tried to "deal" with Chri$ty to get a pony sized draft off the dealer's lot. The availability and price just kept changing and changing and changing.

Then I was told that horse had already been bought and "rescued" by someone else- She then tried to pawn off a smuch smaller pony with "trust issues" off on me.

A year later, I saw the draft pony I had wanted to help originally listed on the AC4H website as one of their own rescues at the farm - now available for more than twice the original price from the broker's lot. Remember, I had been told she had been bought by "someone else" and had a new forever home.

Gimme a break. IMHO she is working hand-in-glove with the KBs to bilk gullible and uneducated people of their money by playing on their emotions- just like old $am of CBER fame.

Educate to you heart's content. Maybe eventually people will see through AC4H and friends, too.

Laura, What is it that you have against rescues? I'm asking you a genuine question. I've noticed that in the past few days you have started two threads now about suspect rescues and you questioned the actions of a third. Did you get burned by a rescue in the past? I'm honestly curious.

I don't often read the rescue threads. I don't have money to donate, I often think the horses should be put down rather than have heroic measures taken and so I save the heartache of even looking. I am no fan of AC4H since I live close enough to know exactly what they are up to. Just as it is my choice not to read it is someone else's choice to read and respond.

Some people on this board have spare cash to donate to rescues, some have even had good luck with AC4H and it is their time and money to spend. So why waste the energy getting angry. Why not just ignore those threads?

I have dealt with her personally at AC4H and I give her a lot of credit. Imagine going EVERY week to try to get horses in homes so that their next stop isn't at a meat factory. I don't know how she does it because she clearly can't save them all. You know she does check your application and maybe she was not liking the answers she got back on your application and hence the horse wasn't available. Also, she might have placed it and it got turned back. That happens. Any who I got two little poopers off her who I just took for a nice hand walk and grass. That's all they do! Thank you Christy!!

Quote Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
    I have dealt with her personally at AC4H and I give her a lot of credit. Imagine going EVERY week to try to get horses in homes so that their next stop isn't at a meat factory. I don't know how she does it because she clearly can't save them all. You know she does check your application and maybe she was not liking the answers she got back on your application and hence the horse wasn't available. Also, she might have placed it and it got turned back. That happens. Any who I got two little poopers off her who I just took for a nice hand walk and grass. That's all they do! Thank you Christy!!
    If this remark was directed at me because I related my experience with AC4H ----Well then- She should have been honest and just said that she didn't like my answers. Why lie?

And apparently she liked my answers well enough to try to pawn off another horse on me- her actions reminded me of the bait and switch tactic used car salesmen use.

And believe me there are reasons this woman and her friends go to the auctions week after week and "do this." These reasons all have the portraits of dead presidents on them, and I never cease to be amazed at what SOME people will do to get their hands on more and more of such "reasons."

LCW579, burned personally, no. A very dear friend of mine discovered the disaster that was Nancy Mackall's Polo Pony Retirement Foundation. Read the thread: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=219440
    This was my introduction to COTH.

Twenty dead horses, ten starving horses, a starving dog (Afghan) in the house locked in a cat crate, so matted that she was unable to walk with double ear infections. She still has ongoing ear problems. My friend called AC, another horse died overnight. One horse was so weak she had to be lifted into a trailer, she was unable to walk on by herself. They had no water, no grass, no feed. I had talked to Mackall a year or two previously...it sounded like she was providing a needed service. But something just didn't add up and I didn't act on it. I let it go. After I found what had happened, I decided never to just let it go again. So, if I have questions, I ask until I get reliable answers. My friend still has nightmares and has to deal with awful guilt that she didn't discover it sooner.

And by the way, there are reputable rescues. I support a cat and dog rescue in Kentucky (just adopted a barn kitty), a collie rescue (my new collie) and New Vocations.

Why allow the questionable ones to prosper by allowing them to solicit fund in the easy way...on COTH with sorry sob stories. Unfortunately, there are too many good hearted peopled who will donate to them, falling for the sob story (which may or may not be true). We should be rooting out the sham rescues. They give all rescues a bad name.

Just my 2 cents, for whatever that's worth in today's economy.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Sep. 4, 2011 at 05:52 PM.

Laura, thanks for your answer. I remember that thread. And I just spent some time looking back over it. A truly horrific situation. I can see where being closely involved with that case would turn you into a permanent skeptic.

Laura, I quite agree! Christy was very accessible when I made donations. But in my recent attempts to contact her and everyone else who was listed as a contact, along with my friend who sincerely wanted a horse that was listed as available, there was absolutely no response. The horse business certainly has it's share (or more) of shysters and likewise unsavory and dishonest people, so when I find out there are trust issues, that's it for me. It is a shame of course for the horses, who are the ultimate victims on so many levels. I think it is very important to flush out those rescues who are not trustworthy and separate them from the ones who are honest so those doing a good job are supported. It's becoming more easy to winnow out the suspects with the internet and the improved methods of communication. Maybe it would be helpful to post when we have good experiences so those who are truly above-board can be recognized. I'm all about helping the animals! I wonder if those who are dishonest could be reported to the tax-shelters for close scrutiny?
    PennyG

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'd rather they get rid of solicitation all together. There are plenty of other places where they can communicate more efficiently to those who are interested.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Question

Ac4h is not a horse rescue. It's a horse trader's sales office that uses a 501c3 tax classification to be tax-exempt.

Does it save horses' lives to buy from ac4h? I'll dare to say no. Brian Moore will continue to fill slaughter contracts no matter how many horses he can get Christy to re-sell for him. He will NOT ship trucks half-full to slaughter. Ac4h has outright said Moore will not stop accepting contracts to ship to slaughter, no matter how many horses he can sell to individuals. Net number of horses saved from slaughter = zero.

Buying from him to "save" a horse is about as constructive as going to the mall petshop and buying a $1,000 puppy-mill puppy to "save" puppies.

If you want to save a horse's life, go direct to the livestock auction. You'll pay about half the price -- and you can see the horse you're buying before you commit to buying. Or adopt from a rescue program, so they can take the next horse in. If you want to support an organization, donate to one that actually touches the horses they're selling (such as knowing the horse is healthy, giving them a few vaccinations, or paying for a single farrier visit).

Non-profit status can be much more than a tax shelter. The charitable organization status allows donations to be used for salaries. So more than saving on taxes, it can generate income for family and friends. If not carefully audited, who knows what donated money is ever spent on actual charitable work that benefits something beyond the pocketbooks of the organizers.

Guidestar provides ratings and information. However, nothing beats personal experience and contacts. The IRS does not have the resources to adequately audit so many small non-profits cropping up like mushrooms.

It is so frustrating that people are making money on the backs of horses in great need. Sharing experiences on the internet can go a long way to shining light on both the very deserving and above board charities and those that are just shady front organizations.

Buyer beware!

The reason this should be brought up is that there is a never ending supply of horses, and she is not a "rescuer" who goes to "killer" auctions and "saves" horses. Our tax dollars are supporting her bait and switch operations. If this were not the Obama and Bush legacy of allowing crooks to operate then what is it? Anything that anyone can do to stop this saves us money (as US citizens) and many people heartache. Because she does a few good deeds does not mean much measured against the enormous bad that has and will be done. Plus, I don't want my government to be supporting such s$!t anymore! If she wants to register as a dealer, have at it. That is what she is and no the COTH should not be allowing this to be publicized.

I would not like to see the baby thrown out with the bathwater however. No, I don't want solicitations to be stopped. I like that people get together and can do something good in this community. We just don't have to let sleezy operators do their magic any more than we should let sleezy speculators get a dime more of bailout money while the rest of the country is thrown to the wolves.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Wow.
    So a bunch of you would much rather doom a horse to slaughter than, god forbid, some person make money off their sale.

Really, really sad!

The horses do NOT thank you!

Buyer should always beware. And if someone "loses" money saving a horse from slaughter, that is their own problem.

I'm sorry, I only care about the horses and whether or not they are saved from the horrible fate of slaughter. I really don't care if someone "loses" money trying to save them.

I only care if they have been saved. And if she could talk, I am sure my formally "broker owned" horse would be quite glad I stepped in and gave her a home when I did.