The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default If you lived in Baltimore...

...and had never hunted before, but REALLY wanted to give it a go, where and how would you begin?

I have a strong hunter/jumper background and have been invited on numerous hunts, but due to scheduling/finances, have never been able to go. When I lived in NC, I boarded and rode at Quail Roost, which is host to Red Mountain Hounds. Irmgard Hill gave me a lot of insight to fox hunting, and is probably the reason I am now convinced it is what I would prefer to invest my heart into.

I live in NE Baltimore county, and I have my office in Perry Hall. I do not know when I would be able to begin actually taking part in any cubbing or hunts, but I would like to begin my information-gathering. I tend to research a lot before making an investment.

I have "lurked" on this board and occasionally posted for many years. I have gleaned a lot of information from many of you. I am hoping that some of you might have some more detailed/specific information to share about my specific area that you would be willing to impart. Thank you in advance!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Call the secretary of the Elkridge-Harford Hounds.

http://www.ehhounds.com/
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Carrollton would be a good place to start too. They have a slow field/non jumpers so you can acclimate yourself and your horse (if you have not already had exposure).

They are very welcoming to new folks, and their membership dues are reasonable (compared to say Greenspring and Elkridge). The quality of hunting/territory is not the same, but it is still a good time and good people.

Carrollton I believe has a good website that will give you some phone numbers.

I cannot speak from any experience at all, but Pleasant Prospect Farm in Maryland has opportunities to ride their horses for hunts/chases.

Elkridge Harford is fast moving hunt over rolling gallop territory and Big jumps you may well want to start some where low key or GASP unrecognized until you get your feet wet, have a proper mount and all the correct turn-out.

Talking

Elkridge-Harford and Greenspring are closest to you as is Mt. Carmel. It depends on what sort of ride you are looking for. If you like to jump big and gallop all of those clubs would fit the bill with Mt. Carmel being a bit cheaper to join but not quite having the territory Elkridge-Harford or Greenspring does. I believe all three do have a second flight although I have no idea what each is like.

If you want to take it easy to start and are looking for the friendliest group of people around, Carrollton would be a good place. I live in northern Balto. Co. and hunt with Carrollton. Do check out the website! www.carrolltonhounds.org
    \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

Default would have to agree...

that as a "beginner" foxhunter, Carrollton would be a good first place to start...that said, you have laded yourself in the middle of prime time MD foxhunting in the Baltimore area, so depending on how interested you eventually become, there are some great options!! Have fun!!

Mt. Carmel actually shares territory with Greenspring...so you could come across the exact same fences with either hunt! All that may vary is the speed at which you approach them.

You guys rock! I'm reading these and thinking to myself "how much am I allowed to drink before the hunt?"

I have much to ponder...with wine...
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

I second getting in touch with Pleasant Prospect Farm. http://pleasantprospectfarm.com/about.htm

Okay, here's a question for you hunters, Because I am also interested in foxhunting this year. Does anyone hunt in this area on fridays, saturdays, and sundays? I work full time, so I want to maximize my opportunity. I get every other friday off, and weekends. Also, glanced online at River Hills and Rosetree in southern PA, as these areas are very doable for me. Any info on them? ALso, couldn't find much info on Mt Carmel? I could never afford EH or Greenspring, so they are both out of the question. Also, Howard County- Iron Bridge. Plus they are a little further than I'd like to go. Someone mentioned Farm-something to me, but couldn't find anything except a club in VA. I don't have to hunt with a recognized club, I'd just like to have some fun, get my eventer out, and hear some hounds work. Thanks!!

Another vote for Carrollton! They are super nice, and it's not death-defying to ride with them. If I'm not mistaken, GSVH hunts Wednesdays and Saturdays, and Carrollton goes out Sundays.

I would also advise checking out opportunities for hunt clinics & mock hunts in your area - something like that will give you an idea how your horse will take to it.

Kkindley, feel free to PM me for specific info about Rose Tree. They hunt Saturdays (as well as Tuesday & Thursday) and are very welcoming to new members!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Greenspring hunts Tues,Thurs, Sat formal season. Formal cubhunting is Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat (till 1st week of November).

Mt. Carmel hunts Thurs and Sat.

Carrollton hunts Wed and Sun.

Unsure of Elkridge's schedule except for Sat.

Contact the hunts and see if you can get someone to be your wingman. It will save you from many faux pas and they will explain the hows and whys when it happens. No matter how good a rider you are, you will greatly benefit having an experienced wingman with you. It has helped me.

Ride with many hunts before your decide which to stick with. Different hunts have different vibes, different country, etc. Be aware that while drinking does happen, some hunts may frown upon it - so ask your wingman about that.

If you can go the Harrisburg Horse Shows Hunt Night, there will be people from a lot of different hunt and you can network.

Check the Equiery for any Foxhunting 101 clinic going on.

Also, Mt Carmel's hunt days are Thursday and Sunday.

Good luck and happy hunting!