The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

helmutavedon Guest

Default Eventing Barns near NYC

Hi all, I've haven't ridden in about 6 or so years (just occasionally when I go home to my family's farm) and am looking to get back into eventing. I rode competitively from age 8 to 15 (beginner novice to novice) and also did Pony Club. I live in NYC now and am looking for a barn somewhere within 30-45 minutes of the city where I can get back into riding. Does anyone have suggestions to a good solid eventing barn where I could ride school horses perhaps once a week?

Can't be done ... sorry.

There is a lesson barn in Riverdale somewhere, and another one in Kensington (Brooklyn) that offers up-down type lessons. But nothing better is within an hour. And then most of those places are high-end H/J barns. Two hours away you might have some options farther in NJ.

That is a tough one.

You are talking at least an hour to two hours for a decent barn and might not be an eventing barn as ciegostar said. Up towards Millbrook there may be some. Maybe you want to hone just your dressage or your just your stadium for a while? Then you may have options. But still at least an hour. I think Knoll is an hour by LIRR and there are dressage and hunter/jumper trainers there and its directly across from the train station. There are some barns in brookville if you are driving. There are many as you head towards Old Salem, but I do not know the availability of lesson horses...

helmutavedon Guest

I called the place in Kensington and they literally only teach walk trot, which is of no use to me whatsoever. I emailed the spot in Riverdale but never heard back, must try calling them. It's run by two former Olympians, so it can't be terrible I don't think...photos on their site look like they cater to dressage and stadium but that should be fine for now I think...

Trying to do once a week 4 hours round trip driving is way too much though...

I've been on the same mission. Just moved to NYC and have been trying for a couple months now to find an eventing barn that also has lesson horses. So far, no good. There are definitely H/J barns somewhat close in NJ and Long Island (visited a few last week), but i've been striking out for eventing barns. I've found a few people who are about an hour and a half into NJ so if I find out they actually have lesson horses I will let you know. The Paynes are in NJ and Marilyn has lesson horses but I can't afford her unfortunately . She's something like $110 for 45 min. (100 for the lesson and 10 surcharge if you use her horse). Sinead Halpin is also about 1.5 hours but she's a little busy right now at Burghley so I haven't heard back as far as whether they have lesson horses. Does anyone here know the answer to that? And whether she has any assistants who teach lessons since they travel so much?
    Heather

helmutavedon Guest

Sunken Meadow, I think that as it's been a while since I've ridden, you're probably write, working on my stadium (as important as dressage is, I find it a bit of a bore). I have access to a car, which I feel like helps the situation in terms of getting to places.

Do you know where Knoll (is that the full name?) is located, and if they have a website?

Also, do you know any of the names of the spots in Brookville?

Thanks for help guys, I'm just so excited/impatient to get on a horse again!

helmutavedon Guest

BogyNme, glad someone else is in the same boat! What level rider are you? Marilyn offers 45 min semi privates for $65 a person which is way better than $110. I'd be willing to do a semi private if we're possibly on the same level. I checked out Sinead too, but didn't find much about her or her assistants teaching any lessons...

Knoll Farms is in Brentwood on LI. Laura Hagen is the hunter/jumper instructor and there are several dressage instructors.

In Brookville:

North Shore Equestrian center, located on the CW Post Campus and Rice farms (Jimmy Rice) is right around the corner, both have school horses. I no longer have contact info, but someone just had a thread recently with all the barns and the trainers with their contact info...maybe plug Long Island into the search feature on this site?

Default NYC Eventers

...or maybe that should be Eventual Eventers (and I'm referring to myself here)

Seriously, I think I'm something of an authority on this and I'm tickled pink to that there of more of us in the Greatest City in the World (does COTH have an irony icon yet?) than I thought!

Here's the deal:

Forget about 30-45 minutes, just doesn't exist. The merits of various closer-in alternatives have been amply debated on here before, but basically, forget about them and figure out how to get yourself to one of the Paynes in NJ. It's an hour drive, not 2 hours (the train is 2 hours plus transit at the other end, don't even get me started).

I train with Marilyn, when the time and the money line up --which is so infrequently I end up there once every two weeks if that. ( She does do half-hours, which makes the $$$ slightly less). It is absolutely the best use of time and funds I can imagine--she totally nails what you need to do to fix yourself, gives you work you can practice on your own, and runs a top-rate but low-key and friendly operation.

Will I be ready to compete soon? No, and of course I wish I could train more frequently and get there faster. But am I making progress? Absolutely. I'm really convinced it's the best solution for this particular problem, given the givens in my life right now.

I'm keeping my car in NY right now for the express purpose of using it to get out to ride ( I did two years on NJ Transit, scarred for life), and I'd love to coordinate! Feel free to PM me--I'm boring all my non-horsey NYC buddies out of their minds, they'll be so grateful)

ETA: Another place I've heard great things about is Riverhorse (sp?) in North Salem. But that's not any closer.

helmutavedon Guest

Hey Patterson, as I mentioned earlier to BogyNme, Marilyn does discounted group lessons, eventual eventers perhaps? I think I would need to get back on and see where I'm at before committing to any group type thing though!

I think I'll definitely take a trip out there to do an evaluation ride or something like that once my zipcar membership comes through. NJ transit is such a bummer, plus 2 hours there and back on the train is not my cup of tea.

Glad to find others in the same boat (or saddle??)!

Well hot dang. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one in NYC trying to make this work

Patterson, I'm gonna send you a PM..

helmutavedon - i'm definitely open to semi-private so if it turns out that that would work, i'm all for it!
    Heather

I would totally be up for a semi-private group if we're anywhere near the same level! Or we could do each do 30 min privates, back to back.

Putting a group together might also be helpful to get the dreaded travelling trainer issue addressed--I've been taking my lesson Mondays in the summer but am planning to beg for an assistant, stand-in, or some other solution now that it's fall.

Heading out to Califon tomorrow morning if anyone's interested....( I don't think Marilyn's around, but the power just came back out there after a week, so who knows?)

Patterson- When would you be leaving and getting back tomorrow? I'd be up for coming to check it out. I do have somewhere to be at 3ish though... so if I could be back by then...?
    Heather

Sounds like you're converging on a solution. I thought I'd chime in anyhow and mention Riverdale in more detail. They're in the Bronx, in Van Cortland Park, one bus ride past the northern end of the 1/9 subway. This can be a bit of a haul if you're carless, but they have a lovely facility, for jumpers and dressage. The lesson horses seem to be good, and there is a mix of barn kids and grownups in evidence.

http://www.riverdaleriding.com/index.html

I guess the barns at Claremont and Chelsea Piers are long gone now, so this may be about it in city limits. Maybe I'm wrong!

Good luck!

Thumbs up Louise Merryman

Isn't Louise Merryman up there?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

We live in NYC. In terms of eventing barns, the closest "real" place is River Horse in North Salem, where Mikki Kuchta trains out of. It is about an hour from NYC. She is great, and it is a wonderful facility. However I am not sure if they have school horses...

Another option that has great show jumping training and school horses is Fox Hill Farms in Pleasantville. It is easily accessible by Metro North train (about 30 mins from 125th street and then a $10 taxi ride) However they are not an eventing barn per se