The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Safest way to heat tack room?

Even though it's 95 degrees out, the Southern States labor day 50% off one online item sale got me thinking about buying a heater of some type for the tack room this winter.

While I hate the thought of having to run a heater, last winter (before we bought the place) the pipes in the bathroom which is in the tack room froze and burst, creating a rather large mess. The pipes are fixed and the room is re-drywalled. Afterward I did the head-smack thinking we should have insulated the wall by the pipes while we had them open, but then someone said it would only attract mice anyway.

The room including bathroom in corner is 12x14. There are two large windows, but they are new so presumably have some insulating properties. The floor is concrete with no drain unfortunately. All brand new electric/panels, etc. Electrician said I have lots of "room" for whatever I need on the panel.

What kind of heaters do you all use? Should I open the wall up again (haven't painted it yet) and add insulation?

TIA

The safest thing to have the electrician come in and install a plug specifically for the heater (and with wire capable of handling the load). Then hang it in a corner and make sure you dust frequently. It'll be fine. You probably want one that has a built-in thermostat.

Nothing is more dangerous then putting a big heater on a wire that can't handle the load because the wire will get hot & set your barn on fire. I can ask my electrician when we gets home for a gauge, but yours should know.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

If your electricity is good, the safest heater is an oil radiator heater like this

http://di1-3.shoppingshadow.com/imag...tor+Heater.jpg

They shut off if tipped over, but truly, they don't get hot enough to cause a fire - even against a wall. or you could bury it in hay. We often use them for drying gloves , etc.

They do an excellent job of maintaining a decent temperature, even in real cold weather, but probably are not going to make it 80 degrees in a 12 x 14.

We don't have central heat in my home, and the only heater I felt comfortable using in my son's room when he was a toddler was one of these.

They usually have adjustments for 600, 900, and 1500 watt usage, plus the thermostat, so lots of control.

I'll ask about the separate wiring for sure. He is coming out to run a heavier gauge wire for the hot water on demand tanks.

The oil heater is interesting. I'll look into that. I don't need the room very warm, just enough to keep the pipes in the walls from freezing.

Thanks

We had an oil heater rad in the house & returned it pretty quickly because it didn't get warm enough for us. I bet it would work well in the tack room.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Need You Now Equine

If your electricity is good, the safest heater is an oil radiator heater like this

Absolutely..I have been using this type for about 8 years w/ 100% confidence

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    We had an oil heater rad in the house & returned it pretty quickly because it didn't get warm enough for us. I bet it would work well in the tack room.
    Yes, it actually does work extremely well in a smaller room though. My son's room was 10 x 14, and it was an addition, by itself to the house. In No VA, most nights, mid 20s to 30s, one kept his room above 70 degrees. If it was very windy or dropping into the teens, we added a 2nd, but again, that was to make it warm enough for a baby to be comfortable & safe sleeping/playing there. One would definitely keep it above 50 even on those zero nights.

Costco usually has them for about $70. They also make the kind with a fan on it, but IMO, the radiator by itself is much safer, and there was never a need for any type of circulating. For my kitchen/living room, I also had one that worked well at nights for both rooms to keep them comfortable, and not freezing - probably about mid 50s on colder nights. We used a kero hater for days when we were awake and monitoring it, to be really comfy, but 50-60s with blankets is also fine for sleeping

FHC Ours didn't work well at all, even in a small room. We have had a defective one though, we went of an electric fireplace instead.
    Need You Now Equine

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Another vote for the oil-filled radiator.
    About $50 at Target/Home Depot/Lowes, etc.

I had one in a 12X16 tiled (including 1/2way up the walls) master bath built below grade.
    The baseboard heat wasn't sufficient, but adding one of these radiators kept it toasty.
    We also used it as a towel warming rack : D

I use one now to supplement the forced-air heat in my West-facing LR when we get subzero temps with winds blasting.

You can probably keep your pipes unfrozen with the medium - 900w - setting.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I had been living with them (usually 3) heating my small home (650 sq ft) for about 25 years until 2 years ago, so we have tested quite a few, and love them, so I am surprised yours didn't work well.

Like I said, we did use kero during the days. Now I have switched to a wall mounted propane heater, and LOVE the convenience of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    We also used it as a towel warming rack : D
    OH, my GOSH!! Perfect!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

nuthin' like stepping out of a shower into a warm fuzzy towel
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I have these in my small house. They work great and since they're up high on the walls, I can put furniture anywhere. They're pretty easy to install, too (I did my own)- should be a piece of cake for any electrician. They're only a bit more expensive than baseboard heaters, which I have in my office and bathroom that are in my barn.

We also have the oil style heater that was mentioned. We had one of our coldest winters last year and it worked great. We were just setting it to keep pipes ice free and it kept it right around 40F (that was its lowest setting, I would up it when the farrier was there for a warm place to wait or thaw)
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I just want to point out that these oil heaters take a long time to heat up a room, so don't use them for a burst of fast heat. They are slow to get going, but really do a great job if left on for many hours at some level.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've decided to go with the oil heater since it sounds like a good solution for a small room and easy to take with me should we ever move. Thankfully winters here are usually not too bad so I should have fair warning to get the room heated up in time.

Too bad the one at southern states is not available to order online. No 50% off sale for me, although it is only $48 anyway.

They are pretty heavy, so you probably would not want to pay for shipping on one.