The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Anyone Ever Have Blunnies Re-Soled?

I love my Blundstones, but the cheese-grater stirrup inserts have worn the soles almost completely through to my sock.
    Anyone ever have them re-soled? Can one get the soles from Australia?

I have blown out the soles of numerous pairs, some via hard labor and some that just failed. The hard labor boots are sent to the great trashcan in the sky because by the time they get to the hole through the ball of the foot with me the tops are pretty much trashed as well. I had two pair that the soles just literally rotted off of them with minimal wear. I contacted the company I purchased them from even though I'd had them a few years at that point. (They were not two pair I wore with any regularity.) Was informed that due to hit and miss usage a bacteria had eaten the rubber. RUBBER EATING BACTERIA! WHO KNEW?!? I did take them into a boot repair place and was told due to the injection molding that they were unable to be resoled. $350 bucks straight in to the toilet... I was not pleased at all. They were the lace up Cuthbertsons and there wasn't a mark on either pair save for the soles shredding off of them. It took me several months before I finally worked up the courage to drop them in a trash can and abandon all hope of restoring them to new.

This outfit specializes in resoling Blunnies and Danskos: http://www.myshoeman.com/blundstone_shoe_repair.htm

I have never seen a reason to use them since I can usually replace my Blunnies/Danskos for less than the cost to resole.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Thanks - both replies were helpful

Not very helpful, but I keep reading this as 'Bunnies'
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    You're not the only one.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I hear tell that resoling bunnies doesn't go over well either.

But it makes my heart hurt all over again to see there was "someone" who might have salvaged my two pairs of boots...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    This outfit specializes in resoling Blunnies and Danskos: http://www.myshoeman.com/blundstone_shoe_repair.htm

I have never seen a reason to use them since I can usually replace my Blunnies/Danskos for less than the cost to resole.
    Just got my Bluns back from them - shipping and repair for 65$. Good on 'em!

myshoeman did mine in the spring and while the toe changed shape a bit (more round - I have the lace ups), it's still better than not having my blunnies! It took about 3 weeks - well worth the wait and $65.

Ahem - www.SierraTradingPost.com

I just got two pairs of blunnies for $57 each - my last pair also suffered from the rubber eating bacteria that apparently lives in my closet!!!!

But Sierra Trading Post does have coupons - I got 20% off, plus free shipping, and they were also on sale. Even not on sale, they went for $82 (#528s). The beauty of these is that the color is "weathered brown" (on their site, Blundstone with typical Aussie humor calls it something else) but they always look like they have just come through the indoor, whether they are clean or not, so they always look clean, right??
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

So Sierra didn't have Blunnies in my size. Any other idea where they are on sale?
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Just wait...they will! Their catalogue changes...and call them up, they're usually ver helpful! I think they do an alert when there is an interest.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Weird - the rubber bacteria thing happened to mine too. I bought a pair off of ebay that weren't the normal Blunnies I usually get and even though they were basically new; the soles quickly deteriorated into nothing.

I was thinking of spraying them with some kind of rubber coating or moisture repellant as the actual boot is still in perfect condition.
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

I think Blundstone should innoculate their soles against this bacteria or develop a vaccine or something! It sounds like it's becoming a dangerous epidemic!!!! I'm putting masks on mine!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    I think Blundstone should innoculate their soles against this bacteria or develop a vaccine or something! It sounds like it's becoming a dangerous epidemic!!!! I'm putting masks on mine!
    It's funny how none of the other shoe companies have this issue with their rubber soles. I have a nearly brand new pair of Blundstones that the soles just shred off. I can't believe that Blundstone doesn't stand behind their product & offer replacement OR just stop manufacturing inferior products! I must mention, that I debated for several YEARS before I actually broke down and bought a pair - needless to say, it was the biggest disappointment! I will never buy another pair and have since gone back to Ariats. I'll probably send them away to be resoled, because I least then I can wear them!
    Cindy

Wait, what?!?! Rubber-eating bacteria cause the soles to dissolve?! Wait 'till I tell the BF that's what happened to his boots! (He's a science nerd working in phage research - viruses that attack bacteria; maybe he can help solve the problem!)
    If we have to nail on talent, it's not talent.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Hahah! I just came on to say the same thing!!

i wear Rossi boots, they are narrower for those of us who need it. Never resoled mine, they used to be around $120 new, I'm sure the $au has changed this...and ST is always an awesome deal if you can find the right price. I would think that it'd be hard to resole the aussie boots because the sole is so integral.

I need to find a good Birk re-soler now that fall is here.
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

FWIW Blundstones are no longer made in Austraila but in Thailand I belive.

I just got a pair of Blundstones and a pair of Gloria Vanderbilt jeans at the 2nd hand store for... you won't believe this... $5.45!!! Seriously. I actually said, "are you sure?" to the girl that rang me up.