The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Local Trainer/Barn Owner in Sex Offender Database - How Freaked Out Should I Be?

I infrequently check our state police's sex offender database, and am always surprised by the number of s.o.'s in a 5 mile radius. I happened to check today, and am shocked. Right there on the S.O. database was a guy who runs a large barn/summer camp/boarding facility (even trailered a friend down there once for a lesson a while back). The place has a ton of young girls who ride with him/work for him. The s.o. database said "Sodomy - 3rd degree". I had no idea what "3rd degree" meant, so I called the state police and they said it meant that it happened in another state. They said he was not classified as violent.

So what does it really mean? I'm freaked out that I trailered a friend down there a while ago for a lesson. Or if he's not considered violent by the police, should I even be freaked out?

It just makes me feel sick.

You might be able to call the police dept and ask if the terms of his release include no contact with minors. If so, I'd notify them of his current occupation, and notify his probabtion officer as well. And whoever else should know (Do they have a special dept that keeps track of so's not being around kids?).

It could mean he committed that act in a state where Sodomy is illegal. Prior to 2003 it was illegal in Alabama, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, and Virginia
    If only horses would use their athletic powers for good instead of evil. ~ MHM

I wouldn't be totally freaked out unless you know the circumstances under which he was charged.

There was a case in my neck of the woods a couple years ago: 18 yo young man convicted of rape of a minor. Sounds really horrible and scary right? Wrong! The boy was dating a 17 yo girl, they had been going out for over a year, high school sweethearts, both nice kids, good grades, etc. Girl's parents found out they were having sex and pressed charges against the boy.

I so wouldn't freak. It is not the people on the SO lists (who are also required to report to probation/parole supervision and are monitored) that you need to worry about. Especially not a person who has a business and is a taxpayer. It could be 20 year old conduct. It could have been something he or she plead to back when he/she was 18. Folks on the SO list have actually been living to the letter of a very onerous law. People who have owned up and paid their debt to society need to have businesses and be active in their communities and pay taxes. It seems to me that running a barn would indicate a very good outcome and result after a youthful brush with the law.

It's creeps not on anyone's radar that you should worry about and be vigilant for.

I work in this field on consequence of the public hysteria about sex crimes is to push more and more conduct (mostly, conduct from the far past) onto SO registration lists. Now people who flashed in the '70s, were homeless for awhile and got caught peeing in public, got in trouble for hazing on high school football team or some college frat, or someone who as a teen had an exploratory relationship he/she shouldn't have, all get crowded on the list with the 2 or 3 seriously sick predatory people. Unfortunately, this makes it much more difficult for the public to be alerted about the truly dangerous predatory people. People end up either distracted by the SO list or with a false sense of security about all their daily contacts with people NOT on the list.
    At all times, we are either training or untraining.
    Flying Haflinger blog: http://flyinghaflinger.blogspot.com/ Flying Irish Draught blog: http://flyingirishredhead.blogspot.com/

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'd do a little digging to be on the safe side but there probably isn't anything to be alarmed about unless there's more to be found by a criminal background check. If you're really worried about established sex offenders in the barn environment, they are usually found in the background and not front and center, though you can certainly find trainers who are on the lists if you make the effort to cast a wide net and recent history has definitely shown us that trainers can and do commit serious sex crimes with their younger charges. It's always better to be safe than sorry.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Yeah, that specific charge would be unlikely to bother me. It probably means the BO is a man who had a boyfriend in a very bigoted area.

There's a sex offender in the radius around my house who was convicted of molesting an 8 year old. THAT is a different story, and it's sad that the 18 year olds with 17 year old girlfriends (or boyfriends) get flagged in a similar way.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Sodomy is also a broad term which doesn't always mean anal sex. In certain states you could get charged under sodomy law for performing anal or oral with a same sex partner, an unmarried hetero partner or even with your spouse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy_..._United_States

Based on the charge, I couldn't care less and would send my daughter there if that his only criminal record.

The whole sex offender issue has snowballed completely out of control and needs severe reform.

Sex crimes must be relegated to those offenses between adults and minors and any acts in which there is less than 100% consent between adults.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

yes, that particular violation depending on the state could just mean the state is bass ackwards and a complete ass about basic human rights, not that the person represents a danger to minors or anyone else for that matter. It needs more investigation to know for sure.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    Yeah, that specific charge would be unlikely to bother me. It probably means the BO is a man who had a boyfriend in a very bigoted area.
    When I read what the NON VIOLENT charge was, this was my thought as well.

In some parts of this "fair land" a person can end up on a "sex offender's" list for all to see... because they had a same sex relationship.

Actually, in this person's case, it was sex with a minor in the State of New York. He was in his 30s. I would be concerned.

If you're brave enough to send your daughter there after seeing him on the SO site, I'd be brave enough to respectfully take him aside, say that you saw the info, and allow the man the consideration of letting him explain himself.

Saw a recent piece on the Today show where a guy was convicted of rape. Like another case above, he was a year older than his girlfriend who was still a minor when they were having sex. Her parents went berserk, pressed charges, he was convicted and served time for it.

When he got out, he married her and has children with her now. Says that some neighbors will shoot him the hairy eyeball from time to time and occasionally, he's offered the consideration of explaining himself. Others that jumped to conclusions have found out and ceased allowing his children to play with theirs.

If I were in your shoes, I'd have the balls to politely ask the guy. He's wearing the label. At this point, nothing fazes the guy, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainer View Post
    Actually, in this person's case, it was sex with a minor in the State of New York. He was in his 30s. I would be concerned.
    A "minor" at the time of the crime could be 17 years and 364 days old. And it could have been consensual.

I agree with pulling him to the side and asking him about it, directly. Unless he is on the board here himself, or the other party is, it's the only way to hear at least his side of the story. Then make your decisions on what you learn from the conversation.

and it could have been with a 17-year-old man (very probable considering the charge) thus the girls training with him are at less risk than those training with a non-convicted heterosexual trainer...

Quote Originally Posted by bluemooncowgirl View Post
    A "minor" at the time of the crime could be 17 years and 364 days old. And it could have been consensual.

I agree with pulling him to the side and asking him about it, directly. Unless he is on the board here himself, or the other party is, it's the only way to hear at least his side of the story. Then make your decisions on what you learn from the conversation.
    And... am I missing the part that said anything about the BO having a charge related to a minor?

I do usually mind statutory in a 30/17 situation, even if it's almost 18. That's just rarely an ok situation... but could be, depending on the situation.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Confronting him before knowing the facts is not a good idea. Asking him about it without anything other than "Hey I noticed you were on the sex offender registry...", is definitely not a good idea unless you have a pattern of behavior or other recorded instances that gives you cause for concern. The thing about sex offender records is that they are generally neither concise nor are they accurate. Offenders get re-classified and removed from the public registries all the time, so the only way to get a handle on what is in front of you is to go as far back as you can to the actual criminal records or police reports to see what they did and how it was handled. If all this guy has to his name is a sodomy charge and the facts show that it was just an incident of wrong place and wrong time, then there is no need to even bring it up, but if you throw it out there and ask, then there are likely going to be complications.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

To netg...

Quote Originally Posted by Gainer View Post
    Unless, of course, Gainer wasn't referring to the same person as the OP.
    Last edited by bluemooncowgirl; Sep. 2, 2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: finish my thought completely

Quote Originally Posted by bluemooncowgirl View Post
    To netg...

Unless, of course, Gainer wasn't referring to the same person as the OP.

I have no idea who Gainer was referring to. That's who I meant to question, only the board doesn't let you include the quoted quote. Sorry for the confusion!

Gainer's a new member with 8-ish posts? I have no idea who that is, or to whom Gainer is referring, but nothing in the OP indicates that.

Sodomy can mean oral sex. And underage can mean a day shy of legal age. There is a trainer around here who was convicted 23 years ago of "indecent exposure" and who is BANNED from local shows as some of the holier-than-thou mothers googled him and found out. As far as I know, he has lived a sex-offense-free life since then, but the stigma and the label will be with him forever.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!