The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default schooling show questions for hunters

I grew up showing hunters but we did not do a ton of schooling shows - I mostly did rec shows but the world of hunters then was quite different. I was huge into large pony hunters. Since that time, I went into dressage and jumpers - did a bit of fox hunting and still gave jumping lessons - as I can teach equitation and teach people how to ride well - not just 'pretty'. We do little schooling shows mainly and unrec events because money is tight and they still want to show. I personally do a little eventing and a lot of dressage now for my own fun.

However, it is so super for these kids to work on equitation and there are a lot of opportunities around here for hj schooling shows.

Several of the kids are young and have nice safe ponies who CAN canter but prefer to trot (Lol) and these kids are new to showing. SO - question: do judges want to see these kids in 2 point over a pole? I mean, the ponies step over them in a trot stride.

Yes, even if the pony can and does trot over the crossrail, the judges want to see the child knows the proper two point position. Since the pony "might" hop over the jump, the child should be ready.

Also -- not what you asked -- but the kids should NOT change diagonals between the poles but SHOULD change them after the line when approaching the corner. Like you would do with leads.

Definitely have them get into their half seat over the poles.

If it were crossrails I would say definitely yes but this is poles and these ponies do 5-6 trot poles in a row and I really never see them hop over the pole on the ground. They do a lot of 2 point work so this should not be hard to do - just my telling them when to go into it.

I have them change diagonals as they turn - are they supposed to do it before they get to the end of the line?

Thanks!

To your first question: Yes. Absolutely.

To the second: Honestly, in the ground poles, I'm happy if they change at all! But, ideally, they should change just before entering the turn, just like with a lead change.