The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Welcome to my Pity Party.

My summer has not gone to plan that is for sure. My good jumper strained his suspensory at the end of June so I am rehabbing that. We are already up to 15 minutes of walking under saddle Yippeee!! and he is expected to make a full recovery. But with ligaments it is always long and slow.
    Of course we missed a few weeks of showing and a clinic or two. But I was accepting of it all because I have a OTTB that I rescued from a feed lot.

I planned to do everything right with him. He was turned out for two months. Then came home where I have been playing with him a little bit and getting him used to civilian life. He is super cute and has an amazing brain. Even trail riding with dogs at 7:45 at night. He has definitely started to grow on me in a big way.

Tonight I took him out, and since I haven't sat on him for about 10 days I put him on the lunge line. As I was letting the lunge line out he bucked and pulled it out of my hands. I had neglected to shut the gate, so after one fast lap he sped out the gate and ran down the drive way. Unfortunately he slipped and fell sliding into the fence. He got up and by the time I caught him was a shaky bloody mess.
    Cuts on all 4 legs, road rash on his hip and super super sore. Probably a 4 out of 5 in vet talk. I scrubbed everything out. Put triple antibiotic cream on everything. Wrapped the worst wound, and gave him some bute. He normally lives out, but I left him in tonight.
    Ugh I am so mad at myself for not shutting the gate, for not holding on tighter, for not leaving it for another day. The poor boy is just crippled. It will take a while for him to be back to normal. And if he did something hugely catastrophic I will never forgive myself.

And now I have nothing to ride as well. I guess the best laid plans and all that but come on universe. Cut me a break.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

yeah, there are days like that!
    That's why they invented adult beverages and bubble baths!

(and no, I don't think you could win a tug-of-war with a 1200 pound animal)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Stupid things happen. I am so sorry! But you know, something equally stupid could have happened in the pasture (ask me how I know this).

Here's hoping it looks much worse than it is, he's right as rain in a few days, and all that will happen is you will be obsessive compulsive about the gate from now on!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

We all do stupid things. And don't believe anyone that tells you different when dealing with horses.

I can tell you about those injuries as my forever hurting herself Abba did the same. She jumped out of her field and came trotting down the drive. I heard the noise that I shouldn't hear and went running to the drive. When I called her name she whipped around on a slippy wet drive and splat. So needless to say she had road rash and lovely cuts on her legs. After cleaning and bandaging what I could, I gave bute too. Now the fun part. She ended up with a rather large hematoma between her hip and end of ribcage. This had to get as big as it could but we couldn't let it get hard. As soon as I thought it was large enough and squishy enough vet was out to drain. OMG I will never forget that sound. It was like someone turning on a faucet. Then she was on antibiotics for a week. So this is something that could happen. Abba still has 2 tiny lumps on front and hind fetlock from that day. Don't worry she's been x-rayed all around and it's just cosmetic. Actually a 4 legs have a cosmetic blemish of some sort. I just tell everyone every leg tells a story of her growing up!

I'm sure your guy will be fine but look out for an abcess thing growing from a pinch as he fell. It was a pain because I had the vet out 3 times before it was ready to pop. I kept thinking it would get hard and she'd look like that forever!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I hope your boy is feeling better really soon It was an innocent decision not to close the gate. Try not to beat yourself up too hard.

So sorry! We all break our pony club rules from time to time. I ripped my shoulder apart a coule of years ago moving fields "real quick" for the hay guy without a lead rope. Let him heal and find something positive to focus in the mean time. There are a lot of 1/2 leases in my area, maybe yours too?!? Jingles!

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    Stupid things happen. I am so sorry! But you know, something equally stupid could have happened in the pasture (ask me how I know this).
    Ain't that the truth. My horse, who is normally very quiet and level headed, busted through the pasture fence a couple months ago. We think he was cribbing or chewing on the top rail and broke it, spooking himself. He managed to battle his way through all the fence boards and take off to the other side of the farm. He was a shaky, sweaty, bloody mess when they found him. Thankfully all the wounds were superficial and healed quickly. The deepest ones on his butt scarred and all the hair grew back dark (he's fleabitten gray) but other than that he was fine. I shudder, though, to think how badly he could have gotten hurt.

OP don't beat yourself up too much. We all make mistakes. We all do, or don't do, things that leave us going "If only I had done/not done this." Hopefully your horse heals fast and you get back to work with him.

Thank you all.
    Leperchaun - that is exactly what it was. Bad pony club. I really do know better and if someone else had been taking him out I would have reminded them to close the gate. But he has been so good and I was in a hurry.

The poor boy is very sore today. But time in a small paddock seems to have helped a bit. He is back in a stall tonight and I am now hopeful that a bit of TLC over the weekend will find him back out in the big pasture.

I hadn't thought about the hematoma aspect, but will be watching for it. He has road rash on the back of his butt, so I am guessing that area took the greatest hit. I plan to scrub his road rash again tonight and rewrap the one leg I could. Surprisingly despite being a tb his legs were not swollen this morning even though they have cuts everywhere.

I guess even though I fell like I have learned this lesson before I needed a reminder. And since he is so young he will hopefully heal quickly.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457