The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Needlepoint belt recommendations?

Has anyone ever made themselves a super-cute needlepoint belt? I've needlepointed a little, am a pretty crafty person (I'm a pretty accomplished knitter), and think that with my mom's help I could take this on. (And I assume that it will get sent off for "finishing" or whatever.)

So...any should I buy a kit? Are any websites better than others? What sites have the cute hunter-y jumper-y stuff? What should I know before dropping some cash on this?

These kits are great (though pricey): http://needlepointshop.com/store/EquestrianBelts.html
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

You don't need a kit - you'll probably do better on your own! I've made several, and they're dirt cheap as well as really fun to do. Pretty sure I used 14 guage canvas - small enough for some detail, big enough to get it done. My favorite is one I made in college for derby day - it's like a fantasy race. Blue background, green line at the bottom for turf, single white with a few uprights for the fence - but first the fun part: horses of all different colors. Paints too, and even an app or two. It's better than any kit I've seen (except Eliz Bradley floral pillows - totally diff league). The best thing about needlepoint is that you can stitch and unstitch so easily - just play. Bring it to a leather shop to finish for you.

Great, now I want another!

You just transported me back to 1993, scary! Even better if this were for your chaps, though.

Do it with bling, combine the best of old and new into the next big thing!

Good luck!

I think I've posted this in every needlepoint thread we've had.

THE place for needlepoint belts is M's Canvashouse in Lexington. Enjoy.

www.mscanvashouse.com/

ETA - they do superb finishing as well
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

so much fun, though, to go to a leather shop that specializes in biker stuff to have your belts finished... and they did a gorgeous job.

You need to PM Nickelodian! She made a wonderful needlepoint belt for my custom chaps back in 2001... I wanted PRINCESS instead of my initials and she complied.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    You just transported me back to 1993, scary! Even better if this were for your chaps, though.

Do it with bling, combine the best of old and new into the next big thing!

Good luck!
    I remember needlepoint belts and chaps from the early 1980s. Didn't know they made a comback in the 90s.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Needlepointing a belt is a relaxing way to deal with nerves and waiting times at horse shows. I learned the hard way not to work on light/whitish areas at dusty shows (gets dirty) and on hot days in the sun, using a magnifier thingie so you can see the stitches easily if your eyes aren't the best...well, it can burn your fingers (a la days at summer camp using a magnifying glass to burn a hole thru a leaf...) Hmmm, I will say that hardly anyone I know has had the patience to complete a whole belt, but it's kind of fun to work on anyway.