The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rec. Your Bareback Pad

I'm looking for some plugs for great bareback pads. After spending a month trying on a zillion saddles for my horse, I've decided to wait a few months, save some money, let my horse's back readjust from the poor fit of the former saddle, and ride bareback before I try another saddle search. I've never used a bareback pad before, always just ridden ON the horse. However, to ride my shark withered OTTB bareback, there has to be something in between us, perferably with a lot of padding!

Let me know any brands that you like, stirrups or no stirrups, etc. Thanks!!

I don't like the ones with stirrups at all. My concern is that without a tree, having stirrups makes you much more likely to have a nasty accident if your horse spooks and you wind up underneath them because the pad slips.

I have a Best Friends that I love! Not the best for shark fins, but better than some. I've seen the ThinLine one and I'm coveting it. If you can splurge, that's what I'd go for.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

"Relinquish your whip!!"

This is hands-down the absolute BEST bareback pad EVER! It costs a fortune, but is worth every penny. I've had mine for about 2 years and use it at least a couple of times a month. It really holds you in like a saddle and is super comfortable.

Christ Premium Bareback Pad
    http://www.horsedreamimporters.com/p...?product=C6302

I do not recommend using ANY bareback pad with stirrups!

PS - The L'Aapogee bareback pad is a copy of the Christ one. Having sat in both, the Christ is nicer.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ages ago, I got to test the prototype of the reinsman tacky too bareback pad and keep the altered prototype with my tweaks (like wither relief and no more D rings for stirrups) I'm pretty sure that's what they are rollin' with now.
    Tacky Too means they don't slip... at all, and the fabric on the seat is pretty grippy too. For bony backs, I put a gel pad down first then the bareback pad.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I, of the ilk that haven't ridden in a saddle but once (last night, with disastrous results - see thread in Eventing!) in the last three months, do the following:

Thick, quality western pad. Mine's a thick felt type, and then I throw whatever cheap bareback pad I can find on top of that. It works on my sharky gelding, but if you need even more padding you can always throw a gel pad or something between the two. This is comfortable enough for me to have used 5 days a week since June without being ouchy.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Paintlady - that looks like the most luxurious bareback pad I could ever imagine! If I had $450 laying around I might have to give it a whirl.

Here's another vote for the Best Friends bareback pad, though, because I've used that one quite a bit. You can always throw your regular dressage pad underneath for a little more cushion. I've used my Best Friends bareback pad for years and it has held up beautifully, doesn't slip, is very comfy, the suede-like covering is really nice and secure, and it's only about $50. Plus, my mare is uber sensitive and rubs really easily in the girth area, and this actually doesn't rub her (it's a miracle, lol).

I just googled them and they actually also have a new model out with extra padding in the seat. It's a little more, at $69, but that might be nice for you on your OTTB!

This might be a dumb question, but how do y'all get on your horses if you use the ones w/o stirrups? I'd have to have a ginormous mounting block!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but how do y'all get on your horses if you use the ones w/o stirrups? I'd have to have a ginormous mounting block!!!
    If you use the ones WITH stirrups you'd probably end up under your horse's belly if you tried to mount with them. The ones with stirrups are flat-out dangerous, in my opinion.

I just use a mounting block, but my mare's not huge. Or you could use a fence, whatever's higher… and then hopefully have some spring to your step as you hop up there

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

I climb on top of the picnic table and hop over. lol. My mare had so much back atrophy after our last EPM episode that I rode all spring/summer in the bareback pad until she regained enough muscle for the saddle.

I go with "The thicker and fuzzier the better"

mine looks like this:
    http://www.statelinetack.com/item/tr...pad/SLT901732/

It's not the *same* brand, but same fleecy goodness, and in NEON purple. Aw yeah!
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Quote Originally Posted by esdressage View Post
    If you use the ones WITH stirrups you'd probably end up under your horse's belly if you tried to mount with them. The ones with stirrups are flat-out dangerous, in my opinion.

I just use a mounting block, but my mare's not huge. Or you could use a fence, whatever's higher… and then hopefully have some spring to your step as you hop up there
    My mare is only 15.1 hh. A mounting block or even the back of my truck works for us.

I use a mounting block, one of the 3-step ones. This worked last year when I was riding a 16.1 hand gelding bareback a lot, and I am short. You do want a horse who will just stand there as you flop around getting onto its back. Wouldn't try it with something young and/or squirrely.

I used a suede one like the Dover one, except it was rigged for a dressage girth, which is nice.

Agree with everyone who says the ones with stirrups are dangerous!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by esdressage View Post
    Paintlady - that looks like the most luxurious bareback pad I could ever imagine! If I had $450 laying around I might have to give it a whirl.
    It was definitely a splurge, but worth every penny. I had a Best Friends bareback pad before this one. That one is a good value for the money, but I was never comfortable cantering when using it. With the Christ pad, I do everything that I'd do if I was riding in a saddle. It's very secure.

You might like the Cashel pad - http://www.cashelcompany.com/Product...ProductID=8725

I didn't like it on my wide-backed Arab, because it actually felt like too MUCH padding on him, but it might work well on a bonier back...

I have a Cashel Soft Saddle that I have had a lot of fun with. The biggest downside is that it tends to slide back. I cut a sort of triangular notch in the wither of mine and use it with a breastplate, which works pretty well. It does have stirrups, but I took them off. I feel secure enough in it to do most everything I would normally do in a saddle... I even used to go on trail rides in it.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

My mother rides in a Cashel Soft Saddle. She loves that stupid thing. We call it her "Purple Pad".

I have a plain 'ol Weaver Leather el cheap-o with flece on the underside and knit fabric on top. No stirrups. No handles. Just mane if needed.

I've been riding bareback since last December. Much of this was because I wanted to improve MY skills before buying a saddle, (which I just did, last Saturday). My leased horse is very round barrelled and flat backed, so I just hop on with no pad whatsoever.
    But I agree with you, you'll need something if your horse is shark withered.
    I also agree with the others: stirrups are dangerous on a saddlepad. Use a mounting block.
    I've found that wearing suede, roughout chaps, or even half-chaps, helps a lot in keeping you aboard when you're riding in a bareback pad.
    You may also want to consider keeping doing a saddle clip on him, next spring. When it comes time to clip him, leave the hair on his back so that it serves as a natural bareback pad. He'll shed it out, but that's okay.

Good luck! I love riding bareback. While I don't do a whole lot of trotting while bareback, it has improved my seat tremendously. Plus, it's a time saver: groom the horse, throw my breeches in the washer, voil a', done.
    The best thing to do on a golf course is a GALLOP!

I throw my longing surcingle on over a western saddlepad because I own them both already and I'm a cheapskate
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I just got the western version of Best Friends. I like the amt of padding (it doesn't feel like a pillow or too much, it is just enough to dampen some of the stride's noise). Good grippy suede and tacky-type bottom and girth. Has a water bottle holder and bottle on R flank, and a pouch on the left. I did some good hill work in it on a big moving horse and it stayed right where it should.

The one thing I don't like is how narrow the 'overgirth' is- it's maybe 2", maybe? I should measure. I don't cinch it down super tight so I'm not TOO worried about it, but I'd prefer that it was wider. One billet per side, so that gives you an idea of it's width. The billet is doubled for strength and seems to be good quality.

I borrowed a Lil Jo BB pad a few years back- at this point I'd say it was better than the Best Friends, but it's also 3-4 times pricier.

I have this pad:

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/re...pad/SLT900321/

with this cinch (because the girth that comes with the pad is SAD):

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/we...uckle/E000900/

It fits my OTTB's withers perfectly, and feels very secure and comfortable. It also "breathes" better in the heat than a saddle and pad.