The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Southern Cali folks...where do you buy your dressage boots??

Mary's carries only Ariats and Cavallos, will measure for Dehners. Dressage Extensions seems to have the best selection, but is quite a drive for me. Am I missing some other place in LA or....??? I would like to try some on rather than doing the measure myself and have something shipped.

Try LA Saddlery at LAEC.

Also, for custom boots, try Voltaire.

http://en.voltaire-design.com/boots.html

They have all kinds of cool options.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I mail order mine from Dressage Extensions. They are fantastic about exchanges and returns. I'm in southern LA county and the turn around is basically 1-2 days.

I was able to get the exact right boots on the second try after measuring myself.

If you must try them on, you can try Broken Horn in Baldwin Park.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Try LA Saddlery at LAEC.

Also, for custom boots, try Voltaire.

http://en.voltaire-design.com/boots.html

They have all kinds of cool options.
    Are they mail order only?? I'm a hands on kind of person, I don't want to order through a catalog unless I've tried them on.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Are they mail order only?? I'm a hands on kind of person, I don't want to order through a catalog unless I've tried them on.....
    No, the rep boards at my barn in Pasadena. (He also buys and sells horses.) Most of his saddles are for jumping, so he goes to the big shows.

I just knew him from the barn, and we would always gab about his horses. Then one day he showed me the saddles and boots in the back of his truck. You could have knocked me over with a feather. They are gorgeous. He has several boots in various sizes that you can try on just to see what style and fit you want, then they are made in France.

PM me if you want me to get his number for you.

A helmet saved my life.

I got my Konigs years ago at Mary's, but if they don't carry them any longer.... I second the Voltaires, one of the trainers at my stable rides in their saddles and I met the rep at a show last weekend. Their boots look lovely.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

No, the rep boards at my barn in Pasadena. (He also buys and sells horses.) Most of his saddles are for jumping, so he goes to the big shows.

I just knew him from the barn, and we would always gab about his horses. Then one day he showed me the saddles and boots in the back of his truck. You could have knocked me over with a feather. They are gorgeous. He has several boots in various sizes that you can try on just to see what style and fit you want, then they are made in France.

PM me if you want me to get his number for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    I got my Konigs years ago at Mary's, but if they don't carry them any longer.... I second the Voltaires, one of the trainers at my stable rides in their saddles and I met the rep at a show last weekend. Their boots look lovely.
    Ok, two questions: First of all, I looked at the website a bit closer. I didn't see any boots that resembled anything close to dressage boots and they all had back zippers, which I don't want. What am I missing? Second, I had a pair of Petrie's Olympic sent to me, they fit beautifully *except* for the footbed, which is too narrow...is this typical for Petries???

I haven't had that problem with my Petries. Do you usually wear a wider shoe regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Ok, two questions: First of all, I looked at the website a bit closer. I didn't see any boots that resembled anything close to dressage boots and they all had back zippers, which I don't want.
    What zippers do you want? The inside zippers? I will ask the rep when I see him if they make a boot specifically for dressage and also about the zippers.

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    I haven't had that problem with my Petries. Do you usually wear a wider shoe regularly?
    Hmmm, interesting. No, I don't have to order wide typically in most shoes although I do in my Ariat terrains. I have more of a "hang-10" (wider in the ball than the heel) foot versus a "slipper" foot.

What zippers do you want? The inside zippers? I will ask the rep when I see him if they make a boot specifically for dressage and also about the zippers.
    Well, yeah in the front. I was asking about dressage boots and you and someone else recommended him but I don't see them. Maybe you just meant hey this local guy sells great boots...??? I already have a pair of soft, comfy field boots though so that's not what I'm looking for. TIA!

I just got a new pair of paddock boots and did notice that they seemed narrower than usual. I'm hoping the leather stretches out. They are snug but are loosening up. You might want to call the folks at Dressage Extensions and ask. Good luck!

BTW: I thought it was just me but I didn't see dressage boots on the Voltaire site either. Michael Jackson boots yes ...

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    BTW: I thought it was just me but I didn't see dressage boots on the Voltaire site either. Michael Jackson boots yes ...

Point taken, but if you saw the boots in person, you would agree they are lovely. Some of the options...not so much.

Anyway, I saw Regis today and he said right now, a dressage boot is not in their product line, but they are working on it.

So, sorry to lead you on, Dune. Good luck finding what you want, and if you are in the LA area, do visit LA Saddlery at LAEC. They carry a couple of lines.

A helmet saved my life.