The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What's Your Biggest Vet Bill Ever?

Arising from a single event - can involve multiple treatments during that illness/injury of course.

I just thought it might be an interesting survey. I'll start out, but I am a total wimp at this game, thank God, and expect to be blown out of the water in short order.

$1858

Chicken feed... 4 week stay including 2 colic surgeries. 5 digits...

Not a horse, thank God but a cat, indeed, an "alley cat" whom I got with her 2 siblings as a kitten. At 13 yoa she contracted cryptococcus. Total vet bill over a year (and the drug ketaconazole was experimental so it was FREE) was over 20,000.00. And she lived to be 18 yoa. Thanks to Briarcliff Animal Hospital. And this was in 1982 or 1983. I'd hate to know what it would cost now, as the she was part of the UGA experimental use of ketaconzaole for systemic fungal infections. Her vet wrote his board certification on Dominica's case. (This includes costs from the drug causing hepatitis and the ensuing stomach tube for 6 weeks to compliment her iv line in her front leg for months.)

Cloudy and Callie each were about 2000 a year for various hoof issues. Piece of cake. Cloudy's up to about 1000 this year so far, and fall shots coming next month.

My friend paid 6500 to my vet for colic surgery. Successful. This cost didn't include the aftercare costs when he came home.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Aug. 31, 2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo

for workup (rads, u/s, bone scan, joint injections) and then surgery and stem cell therapy and follow up adequan and joint injections for a torn medial meniscus:
    $7500

Colic.
    $12k-$15k I think it was.

Not a horse but a dog. She got into some Christmas candy that my mom had wrapped and put under the tree. 10 days at the vet and over $2000 in vet bills. That was our Christmas gift that year. Totally worth it though.

I had a pet ferret growing up and my mom dropped around $3,000 on him when I was 16 because he had some sort of ferret cancer... He had chemotherapy and lost almost all his hair (pic included from shortly before he died)... All that for a ferret!

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...43029495AxILhk
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.eVetPractice.com - talk to me about your veterinarian practice management and farm management needs!

1800 for a horse - gelding chipped cannon bone during rough play in the pasture with his buddies. (1991)

2700 for a cat - complications from spaying. (This year)

I've gotten off easy so far.

$21,000

Horse got sick with asyllium poisoning - the symptoms mimic Potomac Horse Fever. Was on fluids, ice, multiple drips of DMSO, 2 dozen sets of xrays, special shoeing, medications, round the clock care. Had rotation and was supposed to be retired, but he is showing again in the adult amateurs and the juniors occasionally. I owned him jointly with another person, but I paid the expenses. I did finally sell him, but for a tiny fraction of what he is still really worth.
    Thank God for insurance.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

I make a point never to add it all up- I really don't want to know as long as I can pay the next bill that shows up in the mail
    That being said, I have had more than one equine injury where the vet bills at the end of treatment were (at a conservative minimum) over $7,000. Luckily these horses were insured so I was not out the whole amount.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Purpura hemorrhagica

Five days in the clinic plus multiple vet visits once she came home... in the vicinity of $6,000

Having my equine soulmate (and intellectual equal ) still giving me sass and love... PRICELESS.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Dog had to have a plate in her hind knee from a torn cruxious (sp?) ligament - $3,500 not including aftercare.

Horse - $1,700 treating for pnumonia plus a bunch of other infections brought in by a sickly horse where I was boarding. The whole barn contracted something.

Horse - $1800 for colic, mare had a history of mild gas colic but this time was the worst. 2 days in ICU having fluids pumped into her.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Over $7k for laminitis and all I got was my heart horse buried in the back pasture I have no regrets trying to save him but it just sucks
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Dog: $1200 on left front foot. Cut his pad wide open, $600 for the stitching, and another $600 in follow-up visits and meds.

Even when the corgi was poisoned by tea tree oil and spent the night at the ICU at Angell, that didn't break a thousand.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Almost 10k for colic surgery - unfortunately he refluxed and the motility never resumed so I had to make the hard decision anyway.

The cat who ate the Holly berry was almost 3k.

$1972. (Healthy happy horse: Priceless!)

For a little icky wound on RF coronet band that I called vet for because it wasn't getting better on my usual regimen that heals everything (until this).

Vet wanted Caesar to have some meds to prevent secondary infection...the meds made him feel pukey and sent us into a week of IV fluids, bloodwork, and ulcer meds. The wound healed before the adverse reaction to meds did.

Thank heaven for major medical insurance!

$4k for a midnight exploratory surgery on my (apparently) cancerous, in shock, labrador. (Another $1200 8 weeks later for another open-up "surgery" and then PTS. sad)

Her daughter had an 1800 pyo surgery the same year.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

About $7K for a shoe ripping across the back of his leg (1 nail held and the rest swung along the back of his leg instead of comming free) 2 surgeries, x-ray and ultrasounds. Loved my insurance company for paying no hassles
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

$10k for neuro EHV1, week in intensive care with experimental drugs. Horse lived.
    $6000 colic surgery 5 years later, same horse. Lost the horse on the colic table.
    $2,500 fighting cellulitis infections in retired horse last winter. Lost the horse.
    $2,500 for cat surgery. Ate elastic string and blocked intestines.
    $3,000 in lameness stuff, including bonescan at Virginia Equine Imaging, SI injections, etc. Retired horse. Year on back 40, horse was sound. Returned to work. Still a mystery.
    Just spent $1k removing tumor from the dog's leg, and $500 having 3 teeth removed from a cat.
    And all that is still cheaper than insuring the menagerie over the years.

hasahorse, what is apsyllium poisoning and how can I avoid it? Ouch!

BTW, please don't show my husband this thread. He knows all this stuff in the abstract but some things are, um, better in the abstract.

$2650.00 for my dog with ivermectin poisoning. That was money well spent. It's been four years, and she is happy, healthy, and active.