The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stubben vs. County Innovation

I am looking to buy a 17" medium saddle soon, and I was wondering what people preferred riding in. I have one trainer telling me that the new Stubben Portos is the saddle for me, while another trainer is telling met that the County Innovation would be better. I can't afford a new County Innovation, but a used one might work well for me.

Thank you.

I don't think there is any way to really tell which saddle is right for you without test riding them. The twist, balance, etc. of any given saddle affect riders in very different ways. What is perfect for one person can be horrid for another.

Good Luck with your saddle search!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    I don't think there is any way to really tell which saddle is right for you without test riding them. The twist, balance, etc. of any given saddle affect riders in very different ways. What is perfect for one person can be horrid for another.

Good Luck with your saddle search!

This, and those two saddles are going to fit pretty different horses. They're not really comparable in a "this or that" situation. You have to consider what horse you're fitting, what sort of rider you're fitting, etc.

Default Saddle

Thanks for your response. I ride many different horses, but mostly TB and Dutch Warmbloods. I have ridden in the Innovation and I definitely liked it, and I am going to test out the Stubben today so I guess we will see. I definitely like the price of the Stubben better, but more expensive doesn't always mean better.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyhamblin View Post
    Thanks for your response. I ride many different horses, but mostly TB and Dutch Warmbloods. I have ridden in the Innovation and I definitely liked it, and I am going to test out the Stubben today so I guess we will see. I definitely like the price of the Stubben better, but more expensive doesn't always mean better.
    Test them out, they do ride differently for the rider. In terms of saddle fit...as a general rule, Countys tend to fit the wide, more well-sprung horses better, as they have more of a hoop tree than the A-tree of a Stubben. However, in recent years, Stubben has been trying to broaden their market a bit (mainly since the introduction of the wider warmbloods) and have started offering wider trees. Doesn't mean a 34cm Stubben fits the same as a 34cm County, however.

If I were in your situation, pending a trial ride of the Stubben, I would probably go for the County in a wide tree. That way it has a good chance of fitting most wider horses, and you can pad it up for the TBs. But if you love the way the Stubben rides, just get a wider tree in that. I would do some searching around the web, too. Once you know what saddle you like and what size you need, it's easy to stalk places like Ebay where you don't necessarily need a return policy.

Woah, I would not go with the suggestion to get an Innovation in a wide tree. Do you know that the Innovation trees run a little wider than the other County trees?

I had a mare that wore a medium tree Amerigo, and then moved into a Medium/Narrow County Innovation.

I've got an interesting perspective on this.

I had, up until recently, a Stubben Genesis CS Deluxe (w/ that Biomex seat) that I absolutely adored. Very similar saddle to the Portos. Comfortable, balanced, put me in a great, stable position. It held up well to frequent (4x a week) use. The Deluxe buffalo leather is worth the price, and if you have a bad back, the Biomex seat does help.

Then I got a new horse. Said Stubben was too wide for him (and it was a medium - 31cm - tree), and the panels were just the wrong shape for him. New horse is a WBxTB, and I wouldn't exactly call him "narrow".

Now I'm in a (used) County Innovation in a narrow tree, w/ wither gussets. Saddle fits the horse well and for me is comfortable, balanced, and stable. Had the County rep come out to adjust the flocking for me and get the balance just right.

Both saddles ride in a very similar way, at least for me. Depending on your horse's conformation, one or the other might be better. If your horse is a bit high-withered and has those little dips behind the withers, if you can find an Innovation that has the wither gussets and is the correct width, you might be better off. The County Innovations do run wide-ish. The other thing: both saddles are wool-flocked, so assuming you have the correct size and shape tree, a saddler can adjust the flocking to fit your horse.

In short, you won't go wrong with either the Stubben or the County. I was in the same budget neighborhood -- I think a used (good condition) County Innovation will run about as much as a new Stubben. Stubbens tend to last forever, too. Had I not found the used County, I would have traded in my Stubben for one in the correct width for the new horse.

I hope that's helpful, having just gone from one to the other. PM me if you'd like more info.
    Why do I like most horses better than most people?

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Woah, I would not go with the suggestion to get an Innovation in a wide tree. Do you know that the Innovation trees run a little wider than the other County trees?

I had a mare that wore a medium tree Amerigo, and then moved into a Medium/Narrow County Innovation.
    Yes, you're correct. What I meant to type was "wider" tree (since County's are measured in cm's vs the standard "narrow-medium-wide) as a wide tree County, of any model, is a legitimate wide tree!

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Yes, you're correct. What I meant to type was "wider" tree (since County's are measured in cm's vs the standard "narrow-medium-wide) as a wide tree County, of any model, is a legitimate wide tree!
    Umm, actually, County tree sizes are measured as

Narrow, Medium, Wide, X Wide, XX Wide, Custom

I have not seen them measured in cm.