The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where are all the UL riders for the AEC's

Is it just me or does it seem that the UL divisions for the AEC's are a little thin this year for entries? I figured with 20k up for grabs in the advance division there would be more riders going...

Boyd? KOC? Hannah Burnett? Phillip Dutton? Jennie Brannigan? Lainey Ashker? etc....

Is it just an odd time in the calender with many riders going over seas? Is 20k in prize money not enough to draw big names/ horse/ rider combinations? Curious

Last year's footing, I have a feeling has a LOT to do with this. The footing at Chatt. Hills was ROCK HARD CLAY and many did not run xc due to this last year. In addition, the Advanced championship was not a championship course. It shared many fences with the Intermediate. Five Points and Plantation are both in Sept. and have better footing. So many horses ran Richland as well. The AEC being in GA is just so far out of the way for many. With so many going overseas this fall, I doubt driving to GA is in the cards.

The UL divisions have always been thin at the AECs, and rarely filled with "championship" caliber horses, despite various ULRs making special efforts to bring their horses and students and support the event in different years. Maybe it's the timing in relation to fall three-day schedules, maybe the location is sometimes a problem, but it seems as if it's never really taken hold at I or A.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Last year was also the final selection trial for the WEG which brought a bunch of the ULR's who don't ordinarily do the AEC's.

Do you think the Pan Am games contributed to this?

I've always wished they would hold the AECs closer to the end of the season.

Sept is still so flippin hot!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Since Richland Park was a mandatory outing to make the Pan Am Team, I believe that most riders chose to go there.

However, that being said, there are several riders who rode at Richland who are entered in the Advanced divsion at the AEC's.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

All of the above, plus I wonder if it just isn't that financially efficient for them? At an average local HT they may be riding multiple sales horses and clients' horses, but at AECs they may just have the qualified horse to ride. They could be leaving money on the table by leaving home for a long-distance event with just 1 or 2 horses or clients.