The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Evil, evil wasps

My poor horse was recovering from having his molar extracted last week and a few days after the surgery I got a frantic call from my barn neighbor that he had been lying in his stall then suddenly thrashing about, pawing and sweating and completely spazzing. She thought it was colic, which to me is always beyond scary because I lost my last horse after colic surgery one year ago. S I'm a bit paranoid.

Anyway, fortunately --fortunately!-- my vet was at the barn for someone else and quickly checked my horse who showed no signs of colic. He did think perhaps the horse was in a lot of pain still from the surgery and maybe got cast. Total mystery. Soon after vet left though, horse's face swelled up pretty bad and he developed hives on his back. I stayed til the reaction was gone and the next day realized that he may have been stung by wasps. The day before, I had noticed a few around his stall, and he still had some bloody discharge from his nose..from when we flushed the sinus (the root of the bad tooth had reached his nasal cavity. Then I remembered wasps like bloody things and by God...I'll bet the damn thing stung him right in the nose I told the vet my theory and he absolutely thought it was true.

Has anyone had a horse with this kind of reaction to wasps? I surveyed his stall high and low and have not found a nest. But

(sorry, I'm using an iPad and wasn't able to scroll down on that last paragraph!) to continue:

Anyway, I wanna go nuts and commit a wasp genocide! Ideas about how to trap and kill appreciated too

I have not had the hives or thrashing, but I did want to say that for some reason the wasps have been in a horrible mood recently, we have suddenly cool weather and I think thats the cause.

I and my horses have lived peacefully with a few wasps nests around the barn this entire year, no one bothering anyone. Then vicious unprovoked attacks started happening. First my one gelding, along the side of his body. Then my other, 4 stings on his neck the following day.

Then a few days later, unhitching my horse from a drive, I went to remove his bridle and his nose was swelled up like a moose! What a good boy to take a sting right on the schnoz like a man and not become unraveled (though that was likely the small spook he had in the ring ).

Putting him up, I then was stung on my shoulder for no reason other than just being there. I saw red I relocated the horses, had the safety of a car nearby and clear path to it, and used my hornet spray and destroyed every single nest right then and there.

I normally peacefully exist with all critters, but this had gone too far.
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

Ahh geeessshhhh. I get stung by those darn things everytime on a fire assignment. You would think that all the smoke would keep them away. But nooooo! And once you are stung you're marked with pheromone so that nasty's buddies can find you easier. I will get swelling, hives and even more thrilling I get very cold. Guess rather grumpy too...at least I am told. Go figure!

We had them in a wall of an insulated run in shed. Could not get the wasp bomb to spray up in there to do any good so we loaded a leaf blower with Sevin Dust and attacted a hose to funnel it down and blew Sevin up inside the walls. It took a few days but we nuked nasty and all his buddies.

Sevin is tuff on good bees too and other good bugs. So take care using it.

We are on sandy loam soil and the Ba$tards have ground nests everywhere which you dont usually realize until you cut the grass over top of them and get swarmed and stung. We have a little 10 lb dog and I am concerned that if she gets multiple stings, it wont be real healthy for her either ...

So - waged war on the latest one with a combination of foaming raid (so so effective), buckets of boiling water (cooked the vicious a$$holes), killex sprayed on them for good measure, dug their nest up with a shovel (it was about the size of a basketball - VERY impressive!) and then poured some gas on the remains and fried them for good measure before putting gravel and then soil in their nasty little hole. I took great satisfaction in knowing I killed whole families that way ...

We have another one in the soffit of our house so will get more foaming raid and attack that one tomorrow. A whack of little ones in the eaves around the barn. Just when you address one, turn the corner and you find another

Its truly never ending with them

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

PSA, I read somewhere that leaving the dead nests will help prevent new wasps from moving in.

It might work, I have a bunch that are 20 feet up in the barn, no way I can reach to knock them down, they were killed years ago by the exterminator, and I don't have any new nests in the barn.

TC - OMG -the size of a basketball, that would have given me heart failure!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Whistler: My horse has been stung by wasps but he did not get a reaction-long story about being stuck over a ground nest on a trail ride in the valley. But my horse has been bitten by spiders twice that gave him hives. Had to have the vet out and inject him with Dex and then gave him oral doses of dex for a couple of days. It is very likely that your guy may have an allergy to wasps. They are nasty and agressive, I hate them especially after being covered in the little buggers, it is hard to tell a sting from a bite with wasps.

Great ideas! We just killed a nest at our house with the foam spray today...what is it with these things?! Last year I got stung in a pool on my very soft -lol - belly and I saw red too. Was a big hard lump for almost a week!

Hi Stolen! Interesting about the spider bites. By the way, our dentist (your regular vet) did such a wonderful job with my guy. Poor man had to pull on that tooth for 3+ hours. He is very very good.

Maybe I should have some dex on hand for anything that comes up. He's had hives before. Sensitive TB!

Well I did something really stupid this year and kept a bag out the back if the barn for twine. Long story short, it became a nest. Yes I'm not proud and I'm an idiot. So because I was frightened for my horses I decided to tackle the problem myself. Read up on wasps and soapy water is a killer as it suffocates them. Now I am terrified of the buggers but one day I was in a foul enough mood that I was ready for action. Lined up 5 soapy bucket if water. Filled a real good spray bottle with soapy water and commenced operation Wasp Kill. Now I should point out I wasn't 100% convinced this soapy water would do the trick. Again to not be so boring, it does work. Got the nest with the 5 buckets then drug and flung into a ditch away from the barn, far away. Emptied for pick up in a couple of days when wasp anger subsided. Any left to fight me the enemy were promptly sprayed in a fierce all out battle.

Now I know it sounds un impressive but you would have to picture me with helmet, goggles, scarf under hat, over face, gloves, jacket zipped up fully, boots up over jeans so they couldn't get into me. Then the flat out sprint and dash with arms waving madly. Well one arm. Quite why I went for this super hero outfit which would not have really protected me from the stings is beyond me. Seemed sensible at the time. I also did it when nobody was around, obviously.

I am proud to report. We have no wasps around the barn. Soapy water does work. We have the spray bottle in the barn. One morning a rougue wasp entered the barn as we were having muffins. I displayed my super power skills with amazing efficiency to destroy the invader. Now everyone has a bottle of soapy water. I have also disposed of the strings properly and all is quiet on the little Irish farm!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Good one Terri!!!

My worst (best???) ground nest encounter was moving a big pile of dirt from out front of the barn. I had this brilliant idea for a year or so after we built that I was going to make a garden there until reality set in ... ...

Got into the tractor (thank God with an enclosed cab and A/C!) and started moving dirt. Well - I guess I disturbed their home and they were pissed and it was BIG!

The tractor started getting swarmed with hundreds of pissed off wasps and the more I dug, the more swarmed. They stung that poor tractor bucket thousands of times Im sure!

I kepy watching the vents praying that there wasnt some way for them to get inside - thats all I would have needed - being trapped inside with a bunch of pissed off wasps and not being able to open the door and go outside because of the hordes out there!

I broke up their home and their happy family and took it all far away out back

I think they've had it in for me and our tractor ever since. I see them buzzing around and stinging his bucket occassionally just to remind him of what may happen if he attacks their home again ...

I am glad to hear I am not the only one. My sister was here this summer and was teasing me because there are cans of wasp spray in the barn, garage, house, screen porch. She thought it was overkill, till she was here for a few days. I even have to keep a can near the chicken coop or you can't pick up the eggs.

I hate wasps!!
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Don't understand the need to attack wasp nests.
    *******Wasps are not aggresive. *********
    I have nests all over my barn and they are fine. All my life I've been around them and they have stung me ONCE when I accidentally put my hand through a nest while moving a hay feeder. Once I was replacing a hose holder and felt little taps - the wasps were concerned for their nest but did not sting. They are great parents and beautiful.
    Now, hornets are very aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by xeroxchick View Post
    I have nests all over my barn and they are fine. All my life I've been around them and they have stung me ONCE when I accidentally put my hand through a nest while moving a hay feeder. Once I was replacing a hose holder and felt little taps - the wasps were concerned for their nest but did not sting. They are great parents and beautiful.
    Respectfully disagree. Find them to be extremely aggressive and nasty. To each his own.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Agreed and the thing about it is I dont want to take the chance one of my horses pisses one off and dies of anaphaltic shock. Or me. Sometimes it happens once. I'm not talking about wiping out honey bees. Wasps have no use other than to attack whenever it suits. If they want to live away from the barn I have no issues. I don't go wasp hunting but I can't have them around me and the animals including the dogs.

TC, at least you had the tractor shut tight. I mean they can kill you. And sometimes it happens even though previous stings have done nothing.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Think the description of ground nests relate to yellow jackets which, in my opinion, are more aggressive than hornets. They will swarm to attack you or your horse. If you ride over a nest, they can attack causing accidents. I really despise them and they are especially aggressive in the Fall.

Ugh, it has been a bad year for wasps around here, too.

They seem to be espcially drawn to building nests on my truck and trailer. Got stung on the face when I opened the passenger side door on the truck, and my son got stung twice. They were building a huge nest in the door crack there, and in the doors where the gas caps are. It's completely ridiculous how many nests I've cleared out this year. Have to douse the rig every time I want to drive somewhere
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I have "0" problem leaving them completely and totally alone if I come across their nest out back somewhere. I have "0" problem leaving the placid honey bees and bumble bees alone no matter where they are. These damned wasps build nests in my hay feeders and when I went to clean out and move one of them a few weeks back I guess I disturbed them in "their" home and one flew out and stung me in the face. Then it made sense why my stallion was refusing to eat from it and why he had a few hard lumps on his face- poor guy got zapped every time he went to eat!

They build them in the gates, the hose reels - bloody well everywhere - and when you go and do something simple like open and close a gate or fill up water troughs, the damned things sting you

Aggressive ? You bet. Will I obliterate every single nest I can find close to the barn or house? You betcha - without question

I have to respectfully disagree.

Some wasps made a nest in the front gate of my barn. Those nasty ass things stung me and even chased me up the driveway several times when I was trying to latch the chain on the gate. They did not want me anywhere near the nest.

I had to wait until they were all settled in for the night and then sprayed the crap out of the nest and destroyed it.

We also had yellow jackets this summer. They are very aggressive too. My horse and I both got stung.

Paper wasps are aggressive, if you get within a couple of feet of nest -- others a lot less so. I've been stung more times than I can count by paper wasps because I didn't see the nest.

Default Just Don't Understand

Yellow Jackets are aggresive, yes.
    but
    Wasps are lovely!!! I just don't understand these experiences. Maybe Georgia Wasps are nice, southern ladies. Heck, maybe I'm some sort of wasp whisperer.
    I believe you, I guess, but I stand by my personal experiences at my fathers and at my stable.