The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canter Cuties needing homes

I volunteer for CANTER KY and got a call from the coordinator letting me know to spread the word that River Downs in Cincinatti OH is ending its meet, and there are quite a few horses up there in the cheap/free range that need to find some new homes quickly. I thought Mister Macho was super cute. Just thought I would spread the word!

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ent&Itemid=457

My horse has the same sire as Mister Macho (Is It True), and is one of those great all-rounders. He'll putz around quietly with a timid rider and move out nicely with a more experienced one. He's always been relaxed over fences and trail rides alone or in company. I'd take another one in a heartbeat if I were looking.

Careerist has Exceller in his line. Really hope he gets a soft landing!!!
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Wish we had a drooly icon! This little mare is just my style with a nice booty, and a cool and collected look about her.

If it wouldn't result in marital strife she'd be in my barn tomorrow. I need a COTHer to get her so I can live vicariously through them and stop tormenting myself with the fact I just can't have her.

Burning Paris:
    http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ainer-listings

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Promise Her Damoon (Equineline name) has a droolworthy pedigree. I really like Sandpit as a sire.
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y

His pedigree has Sassafras, Busted, Precipitation, Green Dancer twice, Forli, Snob, Dan Cupid, Exclusive Native, High Top, Aureole--it's as nice a pedigree for sport as I've seen in an OTTB.

What I don't understand is how his hind legs are set under his butt. I watched the video, and he seems to have a fluid walk. Gotta say, though, that if I were younger, could afford horses, and didn't mind an occasional bullheaded moment, I want to look at him.

With 134 starts, retiring sound at ten, those legs have held up exceptionally well.

Somebody here please get him.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Aug. 31, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Bump
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

This was Careerist when he was at Delaware Park. He was a lovely type.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3562/...21ff5efc63.jpg

I want Mister Macho! I wish board wasnt so expensive....(cant afford a farm for a more couple years)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

Ok, I am probably about to get attacked here.

I have never been a huge TB fan but I love the idea of adopting a horse from this kind of organization. Tb's have always seemed kind of air headed to me. Not to mention that their hard keepers(the ones I've been around) and thin skinned. My defense is this--I was raised around QH's. Working cow horse, level headed, easy going. Ok, you get the picture. What is the draw to a TB? Other than the athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebm91 View Post

I have never been a huge TB fan but I love the idea of adopting a horse from this kind of organization. Tb's have always seemed kind of air headed to me. Not to mention that their hard keepers(the ones I've been around) and thin skinned. My defense is this--I was raised around QH's. Working cow horse, level headed, easy going. Ok, you get the picture. What is the draw to a TB? Other than the athleticism.
    Oh there are so many traits in a TB that I absolutely love. Their brain is first - I have met some incredibly smart ones - including my OTTB mare. Their sensitivity, how big their hearts are and how they just keep trying, their beauty, the way they move, how once they find their person - they will give everything they have - they bond like no other, their athleticism, etc. TB's are just a one of a kind breed that I have absolutely adored for decades. No they aren't for everyone but for me - they are my preference.

Air-headed... nope - just sensitive and smart.

Hard-keepers... not all of them are including my two - mine are both barefoot and extremely easy-keepers (live out 24/7 on grass and do just fine).

Thin-skinned... not all are - my mare is but my gelding isn't.

Now all of these things I have seen in all other breeds (including more than a few QH's and I'm around just about everything).

It's all a matter of preference and for me - it's the thoroughbred and always will be (especially the OTTB's) .

Bumping this up for the TB's in Kentucky and all the other tracks who need homes!!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I guess it's just coincidence that the ones I've been around have been difficult. I know there have to be good ones out there. I have no doubt that there are difficult QH's out there too, also coincidence probably that I've on;y been around easy ones. Honestly I'm not opposed to TB's, I just haven't been sold on them. Sorry to hijack the thread!

I looked at the Canter Cuties posted on the first post. They are gorgeous. And the power that TB's exude on the race track is absolutely mind bowing to me! I think it's amazing. Maybe I'll consider one...one day

Lets see they have a vast experiance w/ alot of screaming people, lights, gates, vehicles, living in less than "normal/ideal" day to day conditions without for the biggest precentage going crackers. Are used to getting hosed, wrapped, shots, tubes stuck down their nostrils for scopes, blankets, shipping, standing tied to wall, farrier shoeing them while tied to wall, trotting and gallping w/ alot of horses coming and going. some lucky horses on training centers get hack cross open country coming and going to track.
    They also see goats n chickens and cats backside, water trucks, pavement sweepers and tons of vehicles all while being feed to the max and dead racing fit, some suffer stoicly thru w/ achey joints and othyer issues and never complain other unfortunately do...
    My OTTB seamlessy transition from 1 life to a new one, I have little to no issues w/ hot headed fire breathing washy nervous attentiion deficite air heads.
    TB are incredibly intelligent elegant have endurance, natural balance,graceful and are just plain beautiful to look at!!
    You will have a wonderful experiance when you enter into a relationship w/ a former race horse.....

Asian Market looks like a real sweetie. Quiet, people oriented and eager to please.

What is the draw to a TB? Other than the athleticism.
    Thoroughbreds read your mind... the key is to have smart thoughts
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

judybigredpony, very well put. OTTB's really do have a ton of experience when they come off the track. Definitely something to consider...

Oh my goodness, why did I even start looking at the pictures!!??

Please tell me, where do you begin with an OTTB? I mean, the mentality of these horses is so different from your typical horse I would guess. Where do you start with training? I mean I understand groundwork but when you start riding, what do they know? What do you have to work with?

Default Just my thoughts

Well, if you want to run xc in a timely manner and stay safe, keep the rails up in stadium and have a decent dressage test, you need at least a part Tb.

I've been around Tbs most of my life and I have 2 now. Neither are hard keepers, they both have feet like iron and they were bred to be able to run and be athletic, so with that you're going to get a horse that wants to
    go. . .

For those of us that need an athelete . I tend to agree with George Morris who said "If you want to get the job done, you better be riding a Thoroughbred."

If I wanted to cut cows or do reining, you bet I'd be on a Quarterhorse, but I do eventing I don't see any Quarterhorses at Burghley as each breed has it's own specialty and for my game it's the Tb breed.

As for air headedness, it's all in how you deal with the horse. I also have 2 Arabs, I used to do endurance. . . for me they're the best at that game.

Hope this helps and not meant to be a lecture.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Thoroughbreds read your mind... the key is to have smart thoughts

Can I steal this as my sig line, this is the best!!!!!
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Go for it
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
    Asian Market looks like a real sweetie. Quiet, people oriented and eager to please.
    That's my favorite of this group.

Bump for these canter cuties, and to Ebm91 - how to transition an OTTB - here are a few ideas:

Please tell me, where do you begin with an OTTB? I mean, the mentality of these horses is so different from your typical horse I would guess.
    I would really, really disagree that the mentality of TBs are so different than your typical horse. Remember, everything depends on your personal definition of "typical." And you say you have not had positive interactions with TBs...so that is your perspective (for now!).

How to start? Well, the best start is to find respected trainers transitioning TBs from the track and learning everything you can.

Many respected trainers are COTHers....and with a bit of time you can learn about and from them by reading OTTB-related threads. From behavioral issues, conformation, track trainers who take great care of their horses. You name it, the information is here. Reading and doing are completely different, so be careful too!

Here are a few places to start:

CANTER volunteers at the track near you. Volunteer to help or talk with them. The volunteers go to the track regularly and you can learn so much from them when shopping for a OTTB.

CANTER website resource page:

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...d=80&Itemid=94

CANTER Mid-Atlantic trainer's blog:

http://dixierumble.wordpress.com/

Leighton Farm's manual:

http://www.leightonfarm.com/RetrainingManualMAY2010.pdf

A recent COTH thread (there are many, many more!)

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...highlight=ottb

Best wishes!