The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Are Leather Number Holders Legal?

I came across these cool leather number holders that attach directly to the bridle and come with a full set of numbers and think they would make great gifts for some (horsey) friends.

This might be a stupid question but does anyone know if they are illegal to use at a recognized event? I would hate to buy some only to find out later they couldn't be used at a show.

Thanks!

http://www.hamag.com.au/numberholder.html
    Corgigirl14

Bit of Britain, I think, used to sell a plastic version and I've seen them at quite a few events. I can't think of any reason they would not be legal. I like the leather idea better, too. Always thought the plastic might, I dunno, rattle or something.....

Jennifer

I don't know if they're legal but, pardon me, why bother?
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Well, if you had one for each bridle, you wouldn't have to change numbers back and forth.... and they might attach more securely than a regular bridle number (and not fall off in the middle of dressage or whatnot).... the bridle tag says it has a hook for the browband and strap to attach to the cheekpiece?

Of course they might be a royal pain. Can't decide without trying it....

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    Well, if you had one for each bridle, you wouldn't have to change numbers back and forth.... and they might attach more securely than a regular bridle number (and not fall off in the middle of dressage or whatnot).... the bridle tag says it has a hook for the browband and strap to attach to the cheekpiece?

Of course they might be a royal pain. Can't decide without trying it....

Jennifer
    Exactly what I was thinking too. And don't forget those paper numbers are such a pain when they get wet.

I just think these holders would make great Christmas gifts for those "hard to shop for, have everything friends, trainers, etc."
    Corgigirl14

Only in America do you get your own bridle number, in the rest of the world you have your own plastic (or leather) number carrier and numbers, you also own a plastic pinny holder. Events organizers just photocopy your number and give it to you, sponsor on top, another on the bottom, new one every event. Saves lots of $$$$$'s No pinny deposit, etc etc.

I would definitely not mind having my own pinny holder that I could custom-fit to be snug over my vest and not flap around!!

Why do we NOT do that?? Anyone know?

Jennifer

Saw quite a few people using the number holders at Fair Hill. They were plastic though. We got two numbers....
    If you have to have a # on the horse in the barn and when you're riding, you're forever moving #s around if you switch bridles at all. Also the number we used on Thursday (in the rain) was just never the same.... It became the barn & hacking number but it would have been nice to have one or two extras on hand.

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

It would be possible to interpret the rules in a way that would make a leather number holder illegal. The rule in question states:

EV108.1 IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS
    By 3:00 p.m. of the day prior to the start of the entire competition, or upon arrival if later, each horse, including non-competing horses, shall be issued a number. This number must be worn at all times when the horse is being ridden or exercised. Failure to display the number shall first incur a warning. Repeated offenses shall incur a fine of $50 (payable to the Organizing Committee) at the discretion of the Ground Jury.

If you wanted to be a stickler, you could interpret that the phrases "shall be issued a number" and "This number" refer to the actual physical numbers (bridle number, pinny) given to you in your packet. On the other hand, you could interpret this to mean that those two phrases refer to a number that is assigned to each horse and those numbers must be displayed by any means the riders choose, not just through the use of the bridle numbers and pinnies given out by the event.

I have never seen any event organizer or official interpret the rule in the first way I described, rather always the second.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

I keep my numbers in my trunk after every event. After I get my number at an event, I take an old one, turn it backwards, sharpie my new number onto the backside of the old number and attach that to my halter to mangle and otherwise abuse. My nice number stays on my bridle and then moves to my breastplate and doesn't get too beaten up.

The definition of issue (verb): "to appear or become available through being officially put forth or distributed."

I am not sure it completely means the physical number itself (the badge, or paper) is "official", but the assignment of it is, as that is the meaning of the word in its verb form.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I would say they should be ? Could start a new trend?

Here in Aus, we have bridle number holders which we use for Dressage and Eventing, and for Dressage we have a permanently assigned number, Eventing we get assigned a number for the weekend. These are what we have:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1024&bih=827

The have a hook and elastic on top and bottom to wrap around the bridle, and a split in the back to change the numbers, which come with it, and are either round with 3 numbers or square with 4 numbers. You are expected to bring your own, and if you don't have one, to bad, borrow one off of a friend. For just Dressage, we have to have one on either side of the bridle, and a lot of people put them on their breastplates when they run xc.

everyone at Dressage at Devon had these!!

I loved them. They look very professional.
    Actually at the D shows you have to have a number on each side of your bridle.

I didn't think they would be so expensive though.
    that stinks.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Maggie McDonell Guest

Smile Leather Number Holders Legal in Australia at all levels including FEI

Quote Originally Posted by corgigirl14 View Post
    I came across these cool leather number holders that attach directly to the bridle and come with a full set of numbers and think they would make great gifts for some (horsey) friends.

This might be a stupid question but does anyone know if they are illegal to use at a recognized event? I would hate to buy some only to find out later they couldn't be used at a show.

Thanks!

http://www.hamag.com.au/numberholder.html
    HI there. Just came upon your question and though it has been posted for some time, I thought it worth a reply. I am the Mum of an equestrian, and we started making these leather number holders some time ago (we are leather goods manufacturers) as we got tired of the plastic ones not lasting for long and not looking too smart. The Leather Number Holders are very practical and secure.We know through time and experience.They are now used in Australia at all levels of competition, including WEG at Kentucky on 2010.They are popular in Europe at the highest level of competing and even Stefan Pieters has them. So I am happy to answer any queries anybody may have about them. Happy riding to all from Down Under!

WANT!!!!!!!!!

Now Maggie, you just have to make some with colored piping... I'll need burgundy, and gray, and white...

I use the plastic ones regularly. Now want the leather. Can not imagine it wouldbe an issue as we routinely use assigned number written on tape for halters at longer events and ccis
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!