The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I Smell Smoke

Which means my county is on fire again. There is a fairly stiff breeze going too.

Please God protect our all volunteer fire fighters, help them to quickly put out this fire, & give us a healthy dose of rain too. Amen.

Fire is a horrible thing to deal with anywhere, let alone in ranch country where it wipes out hundreds of, if not thousands of acres in a heartbeat. Basically there is NO driving livestock to a safer pasture in these prairie fires. Even worse in these drought conditions we are still suffering.

There is another huge grass fire (actually 1) in central OK today too.

If only Irene could spread her rain out a bit further west?

You two be careful...and watch out for your animals! That is a horribly scary thing-fire. Wow.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Do you have various fire breaks cut ? I know if it gets windy that may not help much but those crawling grassland fires can be slowed/blocked by good fire breaks (and lets them do a back fire if the situation is right.

Hope you guys get some rain (but no lightening)
    "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".

I fear the smell of smoke. And almost came unglued recently when a neighbor (well over a mile away) was out burning something. We called the sheriff's department. What idiot burns things when there's been a burn ban in effect for nearly a year....
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

My worst fear at this time of year, living and keeping horses in the "wildland interface."

High winds here today--and we had such a wet spring and early summer that the cheat grass and other dry fuels are chest high.

I wish you lots of luck. I was involved in the Arizona fires back in June and had to evacuate for 6 days. The fires came within a mile of my place. I learned to always have those important things packed and ready to go. We had less than a hour to evacuate. I had 12 dogs, luckily my BO was able to get enough trucks to evacuate our barn. I was supposed to go help evacuate the barn and pull a trailer, but it took me almost a hour to drive a mile down the road!!!

Be prepared for evacuation!!!!!! and God Bless.
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!