The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Electro-braid & Tape?

Is there anyway to connect electro braid & tape together and still have a current run through everything?

Got tape up as a temporary solution but we're probably going to replace/re-do all the fences in the spring. Thinking 3 strand electro over the post & wire on the outer (maybe 2 ... 3 is a lot when there is also a fence) and tape to cut up the inner paddocks. We just bought the tape so we'd really like to re-use it.

The paddock is for cows/goats/sheep & horses.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Absolutely. For the very brief time before I ripped out all the tape (which I used only to divide pastures as you want), I used the copper lead-out wire from Electrobraid to connect the Electrobraid to the tape. Simply connect the live/grounding Electrobraid strands to the corresponding tape strands using the wire and appropriate connections (split bolt connectors for the electrobraid and the tape-specific connectors that came with the tape). It's very easy to do.

Electricity doesn't care if you mix products, just so long as the current will flow.

You could probably use the split-bolt connectors for the electrobraid if you rolled the edge of the tape, provided that wouldn't ruin the little wires in the mesh. I have run VERY temporary bits of hot tape or electrobraid here and there to deter mouthy foals with just electrical tape holding the pieces together.
    Click here before you buy.

Perfect! Hubby was already merret-ing the wires of the tape together to boost the conductivity, so we'll just patch in the braid the same way when we're ready

Thanks guys!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Electricity doesn't care if you mix products, just so long as the current will flow.
    I didn't mean to imply you needed to use product-specific connectors for it to work. I just meant that I used the connectors that came with the product (and connected it with the copper lead out wire that came with the Electrobraid) becaus that is what was easiest and neatest looking - and allowed for both products to be properly tensioned.

I have a somewhat crappy setup for temporary pasture while I finish electro-braiding a 5-acre piece off my current small one-acre pasture. I just configure a grazing area with 4' step-in posts, then run electric tape through those and wrap it around the electro-braid at the ends. There's a drop-off in conductivity for sure, and the fencing is not sturdy enough to be trusted in a storm, etc., but it gives the horses some grass when I'm home and can keep an eye on things.

Yep, we have the very per-merary set up as well in both tape to braid and tape to wire. For the wire we use an insulated gate handle with a couple hundred feet of tape attached and just hang it on one of the wires wherever we want it. Sort of a nasty surprise because it really puts a charge on the tape, but we figure we aren't going to get more than a couple of years out of the tape due to environmental wear. We used to use a couple of small jumpers and grip on to the EB but always got a shock unless we used some plastic for a glove, and having a couple of gate handles become spare made it a simple choice. It all rolls up along with the step in posts and sets in the shop when we are changing set ups.

We don't fudge like that for the perimeter though, it's too important to have a fence that even if not charged they would have to work at to escape.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible