I have a foal coming from Limoncello II next spring, my 2012 foal I registered with RPSI, but I am considering registering with AHHA or OLD/NA. But I am curious the thoughts. My mare is currently a premium RPSI mare, but is a TB. What are everyone's experiences, preferences to registries, etc with the registries themselves as well as your experiences with having TB mares approved through them
Just to clarify, your TB mare is not regsitered with RPSI, it is approved for RPSI. She is registered with the Jockey Club. As a TB her RPSI stance has no relevance towards her approval with AHHA. As ponygirl stated, your mare would have to be inspected with AHHA and score no less then 46 bonits and no individual bonit less then 5. Full registration requires the mare be approved as well as the sire. With out that your foal would only obtain a Certificate of Pedigree, which isn't a registration.
I have used both registries (although I've never presented a TB to AHHA, I have presented a TB to Old NA) and in my experience Oldenburg NA is more generous in their scoring of TB mares than many registries. I would guess that unless your TB mare has a serious conformation issue then she would be accepted into the main mare book for Oldenburg NA and thus her foal would receive full registration papers (provided Limoncello is approved with him, I wouldn't know ).
I'm told RPSI has a pretty generous outside stallion allowance. You may want to see whether Limoncello would be acceptable and whether it will cost you more to present your mare to another registry, or just pay the outside stallion fee, register the foal RPSI and not have to present your mare all over again.
AHHA is a fantastic registry but they are very strict on outside mares so your mare would need to score into the premium book. If she's truly an exceptional mare, it's a great registry to work with but I wouldn't want to go in with a foal at foot and find out that the mare missed the mark and the foal can't be registered.
I'm sending (what I think is) an exceptionally nice TB mare to an RPSI inspection next year to gauge whether it would be worthwhile to present her to AHHA. I like to have the mare inspections complete before I breed because 1)you avoid surprises or last minute changes in plan and 2) IMHO the mares score better in working shape than brood mare shape.
He is approved by OLD NA, so those may be an option. What are the naming rules for OLD NA? In your opinions, when selling youngstock, which is preferred by buyers, OLD NA RPSI? Or any preference?
Jwb - very good thoughts, I am new to the breeding scene, I've got a filly out of Chaleon by my other TB mare who is in the mare book I in RPSI and I'm praying for a filly for 2012. I had bred my old mare to romantic star for a 2013 foal but she lost it between 15 days and 45 (we didn't put Caslicks in and she was nursing and not in the best condition). So my hopes are to have these two fillies to take though their HB careers and start then and then decide which to use my breeding to romantic star (I hope). -I don't wanna open that can of worms here. So I suppose I am also considering the question of if I get the foals both RPSI. Approved do they then have to be left and am I stuck getting them approved for breeding with RPSI or could I decide to have them do their mare test/inspection with another registry? Thoughts? Obviously the fillies will both be for sale and money would be used to purchase a possible younger broodmare to move forward with. I'm very open to suggestions, etc.
RPSI book I registered mares can be presented to most all other registries for breeding approval. They'd face the same stricter standards as a TB would with AHHA (as would any other breed of Warmblood other than a Holsteiner) but wouldn't have doors closed based upon their registry.
I may be wrong, knowing almost NOTHING about Old-NA, but I think RPSI registered mares have more opportunity to be be presented to other registries than Old-NA, because RPSI is a German registry and OLD-NA is not affiliated with the German Oldenburg Verband (GOV).
You might want to consider going to OHBS/GOV (the official arm of the Oldenburg Verband in North America). They approve TB mares with JC papers, and will probably issue a breeding allowance for Limoncello II, so your foal could receive authentic Oldenburg registration papers. If it is a filly, it would be eligible for breeding approval with Oldenburg and many other registries.
Let me know in your opinion(a) if she seems to be of the quality expected for those registries? I can provide other photos, photos of offspring, and video if that may help. I'm not opposed to spending the money to have mare inspected by someone else but if she is not the quality of their expectations I don't want that to affect the foals registration if that makes sense.
The cost for an RPSI outside stallion allowance would be $50. If your mare is already approved RPSI, it will save you a chunk of change not having to have her inspected again. I also would lean toward GOV instead of Old-NA if the foal is a filly that you intend to present to other registries for breeding approval, but I don't know if GOV would give you any quantifiable benefit over RPSI in terms of future breeding options. Some may argue that one has more prestige than another, but I don't know that it would make any significant difference in sale price of a foal for an educated buyer. Any of the registries you've thrown out would probably be fine if you produce a future gelding. I'd go to whichever one was going to cost me the least and be the easiest to register my foals with. If it's a filly, I'd stick with RPSI or GOV for future breeding stock inspection eligibility.
Ok, that's essentially my question, as obviously for potential selling points I want to present my foals to a good registry, yet want them to get the best presentation they can get, YET, as I consider keeping the foal is a filly, (as with my coming yearling), I just wonder if it truly matters if I just register them initially as RPSI, and longer down the road present them for breeding approval with other registries possibly GOV (up until this point I have not known much about this one). Would you say this is a good plan? Obviously if it is a colt it would most undoubtedly be a gelding, I really don't plan on having a stud, so I would for sure have the colt done RPSI without question.
He is approved by OLD NA, so those may be an option.
Are you sure? I don't see him on the Approved Stallion list. Perhaps a friend of yours got a breeding permit for him and therefore told you he was approved. You should check with the registry to be sure, but I suspect you would have to sumit a request for and buy a breeding permit for him with OLNA.
If your mare is already approved Premium with RPSI, why not just stay with them.
Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
Now apparently completely invisible!
Ok, did my research, he's not approved with any of them, so therefore any registration aside from AHHA I would have to pay the outside stallion fee, so I think everything is just pointing to RPSI anyway.