The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Point me in the right direction...

I'm trying to find a trailer for my 16.3 OTTB that is very airy, open, and has tons of visibility for him. All he has in my current trailer is a little bitty window up front and a small one too far back to see out of.

I really love how open Hawk trailers are, but I'd like to spend $5,000 or less if I can. I think he'd be happier in almost a stock type trailer, but I haven't had any luck finding one tall enough.

Any ideas of make/models that I should look into?

Thanks!

For a fairly small increase in price, you can order a trailer about any height you want. I ordered a new stock trailer to convert to a mobile tack shop years ago and had it made 7'6" so it could be resold at a later date as a horse trailer if necessary. I'm sure you could even go 8' without any trouble. I don't remember the exact charge for added height, but it wasn't unreasonable. Check with some dealerships.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I have a Titan stock-type trailer that's 7'6" inside, and it's very open and airy. I bought it when I was showing my 18.2hh Belgian Draft gelding. He's since passed on, but I like the trailer so much I'm keeping it, even though my current mares are only 15hh.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Try calling a few banks and auction lots where repossesed items go.
    Typically banks sell off @ 50% of lien.
    You will see horse trailer especially in horsey area's.

I have a WW 4 horse stock trailer, 7ft tall. My 17 hand QH/TB hauled with plenty of headroom and it is open but not drafty. I wanted it to be taller but the dealer I ordered it from ( a family member too) discouraged that because if it is too tall you get greater wind resistence etc.. I don't know if it is true or not but 7 ft fit my guy just fine and we made several 12 hour journeys in that trailer and they hauled great.

Thanks everyone! Will look at all these options.

Uuuhhhh....I just got a quote on a 4-star stock trailer that was $33K!!!!!
    Of course it had insulated ceiling, 8' tall, front ramp, extra doors, etc. Would be really nice but I've found through EXTENSIVE shopping that you can get an enclosed for almost the price of the stock when you start adding all the "must haves"!
    That being said, you can find some used but all that I've found 7'6" or higher are more than $5K.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

If you don't mind used you can probably find a good condition used Hawk trailer. I have an older model Trail-et (I think I heard they are the same or very similar to Hawk?) and it's in great shape for it's age (20 years old) and my 17 hand appendix fits great in it and it's very bright and lots of windows to see out. It's going to be very hard to find any type of new trailer for under $5000 but I'm sure you can find something very nice used for your budget. Good luck!

Check out Moritz stock trailers.....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Look for a used Trail-et. Very similar to Hawk, and great trailers. I have a 7'6" gooseneck with great dressing area, two full escape doors, ramp, etc. I'm actually considering putting it on the market, as my horse (18.1) could do with a taller trailer.

So far I've never had a horse worry about this trailer.. there are so many windows, and the full escape doors keep it very open when I'm loading.

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    Check out Moritz stock trailers.....
    Yes! I have a 2/3 horse Moritz stock trailer that I use as a 1 horse (very roomy that way lol). My bf put up plexi-glass to cover up the spaces because I was paranoid about road debris flying in.

One word: EquiBreeze by EquiSpirit. The gooseneck model shown is ours.

Very bright, open, airy. UBER safe with allll the benefits of Hawk & Trailet, cuz the owners used to work for them

Price is reasonable, totally customizable, fab company to work with.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.