The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunts near Columbia, MO

We are new to MO and the closest hunt I can find via google is near St. Louis. I keep thinking with all the schools in Columbia and William Woods in Fulton, there would be a hunt fixture some where closer?? Could anyone shed some light as to yah or nay? Thanks!!

http://http://www.mfha.org/hunts-geolist.html

You may have private packs that are not associated with the MFHA, but this is a great resource.

Best of luck.

Thanks jawa, that is one of the sites I found, and it only lists 1 hunt in the entire State of MO, and that is the one out near St. Louis. Maybe that is it

Your only other option is the other end of the state - there are 2 hunts near Kansas City on the KS side - Mission Valley and Ft Leavenworth. So either way, you will have to drive at least 2 hours. . .

Bridlespur Hunt is in Eolia MO. It's the only one actually in Missouri. I don't know how far it would be for you from Columbia but it is a long way from St. Louis. I believe they have a website.

http://www.bridlespur.com/

Eolia is about an hour and a half from Saint Louis, but an easy straight drive. Gorgeous territory and newer clubhouse. Very friendly and welcoming folks! I miss them terribly. At least cap if you have the opportunity. There are more photos on their facebook page.

Hi, I also live in Columbia but do not hunt. However, I wanted to mention that when I did Pony Club a few (we wont say how many) years ago I rode with the Horse and Hound pony club based in Greenwood MO. The barn we met at was owned by Carlie Beisel and her husband, who owned a pack of beagles (40 or 50) that they regularly foxhunted with. I don't know as they would be listed on any foxhunting websites since they don't hunt with foxhounds but they do hunt a regular fixture and I have heard wonderful things from all of my friends who hunt with them. I can vouch that Settler's Acre is a wonder facility with truly great people, and Carlie and her husband are the best.

Best of Luck in your hunt for a hunt!
    A student in all things.

Carlie & Jim Beisel are now in Louisburg, KS where he is the huntsman for Mission Valley Hunt and now does hunt foxhounds. I don't know them personally, but have heard good things . . .

Default Carlie and Jim

The Beisels have been with Mission Valley for 25-30 years. This is all realtively near the State line. I think they are still at Settlers Acre. I would go to the Horse Fair north of Columbia. Speak to the sage, Deb Booker. Most knowlegable person in the state.
    Another killer of threads

Sorry Okggo - you are now in the Midwest, so no more hunts every county like in VA & MD ! We all have to drive some distance here to get to a hunt. But everyone tends to very friendly and welcoming, so I'm sure you would have fun with any of them !
    Last edited by Nlevie; Sep. 1, 2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling !

Biesels are still at Settler's Acre and Jim is the huntsman for Mission Valley in Louisburg, KS. He still has his beagles at home.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Bridlespur's Clubhouse is about two hours from Columbia, maybe 2 1/2. It is the closest.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted