The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helmet Observation from the Lamplight Photos

As I was looking through all of the various rider photos from the various competitions at Lamplight this weekend: the number of riders in helmets are starting to feel commonplace and normal. I actually think that the helmets make the riders look more athletic and sporty.
    The riders in top hats stands out and are starting to look out of place, but maybe that is just me.

I think it is a great trend.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

BetteroffRed I agree. We are seeing more and more helmets being worn at the west coast shows as well. Some of them do look quite sporty.

I love seeing people in helmets!

I don't know. I think a nice helmet with a short coat looks quite classy, but I still feel they look really out of place with tails.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

I agree Betteroffred. The more you see them the more "normal" they look. I tried to sell my top Hat on ebay for 95 dollars. (It was 500 new) Not one bid so I think that helmets are the top hats of the future.
    Friesians Rule !!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_at_C View Post
    I don't know. I think a nice helmet with a short coat looks quite classy, but I still feel they look really out of place with tails.
    I still tend to prefer the look... but prefer seeing helmets on riders at that level.

I always wanted to get to wear a top hat - but now, I just want to earn my tails.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I totally love this trend. However I have always gotten up on the soap box when it comes to wearing helmets. Hopefully when people see riders at the top of the sport wearing helmets they will be compeled to start wearing helmets as well.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks a helmet with a short coat looks a lot better than a derby or top hat. It does just look more athletic and modern with the right helmet, and really classy with an old-school hunt cap style one (and if you're wearing a hunt cap, you might as well wear a helmet!). Top hats and short coats always just looked silly to me, and derbies really aren't flattering to pretty much anyone.

I still do like the look of top hats with tails, but I think helmets look fine, too. I've noticed at trend of more dressage riders wearing helmets too and I think it's great.

I've been out and about showing this summer, and I think I've seen two riders in top hats all season (most of the pros around here ride a range of horses at different levels at any given show and there aren't that many AAs at the upper levels) they are starting to look positively anachronistic to my eye. I have no problem with helmets and tails--don't really notice it.