The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default "Can I catch STDs by sharing tack?" Seriously, Practical Horseman???

Anyone else find the "Here's How" question in the September 2011 Practical Horseman rather odd? (Not to mention just kind of skeezy.)

This has been bothering me for some time, and it's a hard question to ask: My friend and I share a mare, her tack, etc. I happen to know that "Sue" has a chronic sexually transmitted disease. We live in a hot climate, and the saddle often gets sweaty. Can I catch anything from sharing the saddle?
    No, but watch out for that toilet seat!!!
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Must have been a slow month for letters.

Like, are they riding bottomless? Just that whole question brings up too many disturbing images.

That letter had my daughters giggling like loons this weekend.

They REALLY published that? WWGMD?
    "Shoot low Sheriff! She rides a fast pony!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gallop~on~Grant View Post
    They REALLY published that? WWGMD?
    They did.

And the response by an OB/GYN was - I thought - an excellent response that not only answered the question (NO, you can't), but talked about the transmission of STDs and the need to be careful about transmitting certain other diseases through the use of, for example, shared brushes.

As Carolinadreamin' said, must have been a slow month.

I haven't read it, altho I subscribe to PH.

But I grew up "old school" where the rule was and still is not to even share brushes and tack between horses. Even my own horses. They did have to share their 2 hermes saddles, but each had separate girths and bridles and bits and brushes and his/her own crosby. We were taught that back in the dark ages. God forbid I even use a dirty saddle pad,, I've always washed each horse's pads daily.

Besides, my parents were so neurotic about "VD" which was before "STD" that I couldn't use public restrooms unless absolutely necessary. I started the whole idea of it being the door knobs/handles to the restrooms causing VD. Having personally seen what happens with AIDS in humans in Atlanta, including the dementia, I don't think it's too far a stretch to be cautious. Back when I was growing up sex, drugs and the sunshine didn't kill us...........now sex, drgus and too much sun can kill.

Scraping the bottom of Ye Olde Mailbag.

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

That reminds me of the old "Seinfeld" episode where Jerry was dating a country girl whose ex-boyfriend told her she caught an STD from the tractor seat -- certainly not from *him*.
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

It's only a problem if she wears assless chaps.

Wink wink nudge nudge say no more........
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

It boggles my mind that in 2011, with all the information out there, people are still this ignorant about STDs.

I'm also boggled that someone took the time to write into a magazine and wait for a response when they could have googled it and gotten their answer in under 20 sec - and that's being generous and assuming their internet is sllooooow. I just did it and got over a 100 hits from legitimate health sites in 4 sec flat.

I'm still wondering how "Sue" managed to ride with an STD flareup. If it hurts when you pee, how must it feel to sit the trot?
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Yep, I recall reading it and going

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    It boggles my mind that in 2011, with all the information out there, people are still this ignorant about STDs.

I'm also boggled that someone took the time to write into a magazine and wait for a response when they could have googled it and gotten their answer in under 20 sec - and that's being generous and assuming their internet is sllooooow. I just did it and got over a 100 hits from legitimate health sites in 4 sec flat.
    I don't know, this is exactly why I think it's good that they did publish it. People are really afraid of STDs and also afraid to ask about it (and even Google it sometimes, because of search histories and all that), or just assume they're correct when in fact they're wrong. I used to volunteer with Planned Parenthood and the amount of misinformation out there is staggering.

Since the response was apparently thoughtful and accurate, I think it might not be a bad way to get information out there to people who might not otherwise see it.

It is pretty weird, though.

Must've been a very slow month for letters. I can't decide whether to be thankful the OB/GYN had the opportunity to educate or just to be shocked that it even was asked in the first place!? A bit mind-blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by kinnip View Post
    I'm still wondering how "Sue" managed to ride with an STD flareup. If it hurts when you pee, how must it feel to sit the trot?
    Yep.

Cripes!

Even still I would get myself a new saddle - because it's GROSS!!!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    I don't know, this is exactly why I think it's good that they did publish it. People are really afraid of STDs and also afraid to ask about it (and even Google it sometimes, because of search histories and all that), or just assume they're correct when in fact they're wrong. I used to volunteer with Planned Parenthood and the amount of misinformation out there is staggering.

Since the response was apparently thoughtful and accurate, I think it might not be a bad way to get information out there to people who might not otherwise see it.

It is pretty weird, though.
    I don't think it's so weird. It's a reader service. Magazines want to publish things that people actually read, and talk about.

So here we are, all talking about.

Mission accomplished, don't you agree?

I learned everything I need to know about The VD from Frank Zappa:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vmPwZT-9zY
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/