The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me find cheap, decent square pads!

I need help- I need a source for cheap but decent all-purpose saddle pads. I have two horses now and all of my pads from my former horse are beginning to show their age and losing their will to be useful under a saddle. I want to buy a stack of new pads but don't want to spend $50 and up per pad, so I am throwing my plea out to you, COTHers!

I don't like baby pads because they wrinkle. I want good-sized square, all-purpose pads. I use a Mattes halfpad on my older horse, and nothing but a square pad on my baby so I want ones that are going to hold their shape, not bunch up.

I was thinking of just going to Dover and using a coupon for the cheapy Rider International quilted cotton pads, but I'd like something with a bit more stiffness than those. Any ideas?

Thanks! As soon as I can get new pads my guinea pigs will also be happy, since they inherit old ones for their lounging pleasure.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

I have this pad but with girth straps (not the billet ones hate them!) I don't know if you can find it in store but it has lasted 3 years and still looks great.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/wilker%...1-1948/cn/102/
    Last edited by makeasplash; Aug. 29, 2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: no link
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian

I think the PRI ones are PRETTY nifty. Good quality, basic, nice thickness, hold up like iron to washing/use and come in a ranimbow of colors.

I just ordered a bunch for samples for Devon and goofed a bit on the colors. If you want, I'll sell you those for what I paid and then go re-order samples in the colors I meant to order. I have 2, I think. Email me if you'd like!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Wow, thanks- I'll email you!

And thank you, too, makeasplash- I have had Wilkers pads before and remember them as being nice.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil