The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Heritage Farm Employees

Has anyone here ever worked for Andre/Heritage? Willing to give some feedback on being an employee?

Feel free to PM if you prefer.
    Last edited by Isabeau Z Solace; Aug. 29, 2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: clarity

Know somebody who worked there for a few years and left on good terms.

Tough and exacting but fair if you put in the effort.

It can be a great opportunity for a person with the right attitude and ethic.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

The 'barn manager' position seems to be available rather frequently....

Working for perfectionists is seldom easy for the average person. Look at how many claim to have worked for GM-and they probably did, for a few weeks.

But for a person with better then average ethic and ability to deal with it, it can be a real resume builder. And barn managers do move from really high powered show barns...often to smaller, less pressure filled barns. Not for everybody.

Heritage Farm is a gorgeous looking farm! After I saw it on the Road to the Maclay series, I totally wanted to go ride for Andre! I really liked his mannerisms and teaching style. Sadly I am too far away and I seriously doubt I could afford him!

Findeight - do you know how big an operation Heritage is? Do they do jumpers too? and theoretically, how would one go ride for such a place? Do you have to be asked or just have $$?

Quote Originally Posted by Janeway View Post
    Findeight - do you know how big an operation Heritage is? Do they do jumpers too? and theoretically, how would one go ride for such a place? Do you have to be asked or just have $$?
    Well, I don't know details but they do have a road operation for shows and a stay at home team. I imagine they are the same as most barns and will work with whatever a client brings be it a Pony, Hunter, Jumper or Eq-seen them with clients in all these.

The best way to go ride there would be as a client. The person I know who worked there had ridden the 1.4m at Spruce while working for a former Olympian. But he did not go in as a groom or manager, it was a riding/training job. Groom or barn help would not need that kind of a background but would need a solid background and be willing to start at the home barn or go on the road as needed (and not expect to ride).

I was thinking more of as a client - wasn't sure if you had to already be really good to be able to train with Andre Dignelli (or really the same for some of the other BNT's), or if they took anyone as long as you had the big $$.

Thanks for the other perspective. I'm always curious about how the big name barns operate because I've never been part of one!

The farm at home in New York is very nice. I believe they usually have 50-100 horses in the operation at any given time. I've heard it's extremely well organized, but that's a pretty big number to deal with every day- certainly not everybody's cup of tea.

As for going there to ride as a client, if you're really interested, just call them up and ask.

Your money spends as good as anybody else's and, if you can afford their rates? You probably have a decent enough horse or can afford to buy or lease one.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Your money spends as good as anybody else's and, if you can afford their rates? You probably have a decent enough horse or can afford to buy or lease one.
    Back to my original query. I am interested in the experiences of people who have worked there. NOT clients.

OK, the person I know that worked there was very happy there-but he was a rider and assistant, not a barn manager. Left on good terms.

Janeway was asking about client and got that line of feedback started. That happens.

OK, the person I know that worked there was very happy there-but he was a rider and assistant, not a barn manager. Left on good terms.
    Any chance you could put me in touch with this person ?

Janeway was asking about client and got that line of feedback started. That happens.
    It's called hijacking A very common occurence on COTH. There was a thread recenlty about "The Road to the Maclay" show that featured Andre Dignelli and Heritage Farm - it made me curious about them so I opened your thread. And since Findeight is always such a good source of information, I asked her a question or two.

and to MHM, thank you for the comment, but I am honestly just curious. I live on the opposite coast and could never afford to show with a place like Heritage.

There was a thread recenlty about "The Road to the Maclay" show that featured Andre Dignelli and Heritage Farm - it made me curious about them so I opened your thread. And since Findeight is always such a good source of information, I asked her a question or two.

and to MHM, thank you for the comment, but I am honestly just curious. I live on the opposite coast and could never afford to show with a place like Heritage.
    Congratulations, but I don't care.

Learn to use the PM feature.

Anyone else can put me in touch with someone who has worked at/for Heritage Farm ?

You might not be close enough to ride there, but somebody else who reads the thread might be. So, it's all good.

Back to the OP- I do know a few people who have worked there, and I've been to the farm in Katonah, which is where I got the information I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post

Newsflash, threads get hijacked all the time, its the nature of the BB. Getting your panties in a knot about it is just silly.

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

Hope you're not applying for a position with Heritage. I would think a friendly manner with clients would be a requirement.

Anyone else can put me in touch with someone who has worked at/for Heritage Farm ?
    Yeah, now that you've been so pleasant, I'll get right on that.

To the OP, Hunterdon county is not so far from Bridgehampton, and Heritage will be at the Hampton Classic starting tomorrow. Go on out there and introduce yourself to some current employees and see if they'll answer your questions. I'm sure some will, and you'll also get to see the barn in action, which will give you better info than anonymous replies on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Yeah, now that you've been so pleasant, I'll get right on that.
    I was just thinking the same thing!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson