The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My DH thought I'd get hurt hunting...but now....

and discouraged me for the last few years. You're getting older, slower reflexes, what if you get hurt, I love you, etc.

So, for our anniversary this past May, he bought me a Harley. Not a chick bike either. I rode years ago, and was having big fun. Right up until I dropped it, in a rather embarrassing fashion, on a steep hill at the end of our road. My fault, stupid rookie mistake caused by steep hill, unlevel ground and my really short legs. I was at a stop, tried to save it, and succeeded in helping the bike knock me to the ground, bang up both knees really good and ruin my best jeans.

It scared him to death, while it only pissed me off (he is somewhat of a newbie motorcycle rider).

So....He decided I should start hunting again, way less dangerous. The Big Horse's new oversized-no-way-he's-gonna-outgrow-this-one 4Star trailer will be here Tuesday, I've been on the hunt trail ride on a lovely horse belonging to my friend's daughter who is expecting and isn't riding. The Big Horse and I are going to foxhunting boot camp next weekend for three days, so I should be ready.

You guys will get exactly how excited I am to be back out.

I've got all the luck I need, wish me guts. The Irish kind.

Talking Jubilation! You are back up!!!

Wahoo-Wah!!!
    I'm soo glad that he discovered that the inanimate object doesn't have the brains to take care of you! I'm jumping around the living room with glee for you!

Now maybe he can be enticed into learning a bit about horses, and maybe, if he is VERY good, a pony ride.
    Pass the Koolaid, Sister! You can hunt with us anytime!
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Default See here's the thing..

He actually rides really well. He has that long, elegant great posture that most strive for years to achieve. He simply thinks that with two shoulder surgeries and triple bypass, he's too old to "fall off".

I'm going to put the latest "Covertside" where he can see it.

Wink

Congrats!! By the time my daughter was three years old she could ride a "good" horse quite nicely and trail ride...she didn't learn to ride a bicycle until she was 10. My mother thought that was aweful. I told her DD was riding a safe, sane horse who would take care of her and I had never met a bicycle that cared if a kid crashed or tipped over. I'm sure the same theory applies to a motorcycle. Enjoy your hunting!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Gotta weigh in on this one with a story I've told over and over...my brother and I argued to a standstill all through childhood over which was better, the horse or the motorcycle. He claimed he didn't trust anything that big that could think for itself. I said, I didn't trust anything that could go that fast and couldn't stand up on its own. Y'all decide for yourselves. (I think I know how this crowd votes )

Default Ah yes, mort..

I think we win.

Talking just my 2 cents!

Aw heck! I think it's just plain more dangerous to just live here in Virginia! I mean really!! Earthquakes, hurricanes, power outages, flooding and now the fall stinkbug invasion! I mean really!! Motorcycles feel pretty tame to me!
    Just sayin'..!!

I agree, wateryglen. Here in VA the only thing we haven't seen is the Four Horsemen.

So glad the OP is going to be back on a horse. Horses are way more fun than Hogs!

Welcome back, OP. Tally ho!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling