The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Genetic chronic bursitis?

I was wondering if anyone has experienced such a thing. I have a filly that is by a stallion that has a history of producing very weak offspring.

(I bought her because I owned her mom-learned she was in this world, needed a babysitter for my then young one and didn't connect all the dots to this condition then-anyway...)

I have a friend with 2 offspring, same stallion...

All have the same 'condition'...they seem to end up with bursitis in random joints without trauma.

Her filly-capped elbow-abscessed, inflammation of navicular bursa

Her young gelding-capped elbow, inflammation of bursa at the stifle

My filly-two capped hocks, capped elbow, inflammation over the spine affecting 2-3 spiny processes. (Does the spine have bursa? I think yes?)

In every case, there was never a HUGE trauma-never any trauma that would cause these things in 'normal horses.'

In every case they just 'appeared'

Certainly we could argue the trauma happened in every case when no one saw-but it only happens in the related siblings-who live in separate places, separate bedding and turnout, separate diets.

I had heard the offspring were 'known' for getting OCD lesions-but none of our horses have been diagnosed with OCDs.

I 'heard through the grapevine" that most of the offspring require heavy 'maintenance' by the time they are 5yo...so I am wondering if they all have the same condition. Granted this could just be gossip but it does cause me to raise an eyebrow.

This is a little heartbreaking as she is just over 2yo. I hate to start her only to hurt her-not to mention the time and emotional investment.

She is so lovely-so pretty and clever and personable-a real joy to handle-but now this.

So can a horse just have weak bursa? Everywhere??

My other concern is I know the inflammation can lead to infection-if there is an opening and I believe (as I understand this), there is then a risk of joint infection.

Interestingly enough every single one grows tall coke can feet-if you even take a rasp stroke to the heels, they come up sore. Leave high heels and all are happy-so now I am guessing the higher heel is somehow protecting the navicular bursa from too much pressure...lowering the heels inflames it somehow.

Thoughts?

It really truly breaks my heart as the stallion still breeds-the young ones do well in futurities, etc (AMAZING movers)-but then are never heard from again after 5yo or so.

Many of the younger ones (weanlings, yearlings, 2yo) also show significant lameness before every being started. I also thought it was management but now realize it is a genetic condition-unless management can cause this? But again, after being weaned, the horses all go to different homes with different management.

As I said, I knew when I got her there was a risk of weakness-I just never realized it could be a 'bursa disease'-it doesn't matter because at least one lovely mare is out of the potential breeding loop.
    Last edited by LMH; Aug. 28, 2011 at 05:55 PM.

I was just reading on bursitis in humans and the causes are trauma, repeated use or...

poor posture or a poorly placed joint-so that would mean weak conformation traits passed to offspring would certainly be a factor-so not so much the bursa inflammation is the chronic issue but the conformation genetics.

*sigh*

I just want to say I am sorry. Sadly I do think things like that can be hereditary. Or maybe nutrition in the womb or while nursing, there is new research on that. It sucks. My six year olds QH line is known for having dicey hocks at a young age, his radiographed A- at 3, I wonder what they look like now? He is also a joy like your girl, thank goodness.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Guess you don't want to get current rads and open that can of worms do you!

I was looking at bloodlines and her daddy goes back to Poco Bueno-I know he has some connection to HERDA. Granted we are not dealing with that but it makes me wonder if somehow something is connected.

I think the HERDA gene only shows up when both parents have Poco in them (daddy does not and none of the offspring I mentioned do)....but it just seems so odd.

Almost makes me wonder if there is some other 'gene' floating around.

PB is a very, very common QH line, so I wouldn't read much into that

So sorry to hear this about her

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    PB is a very, very common QH line, so I wouldn't read much into that

So sorry to hear this about her
    Oh I know it isn't the answer...just searching for something I guess...sent you a text JB-did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post

I was looking at bloodlines and her daddy goes back to Poco Bueno-I know he has some connection to HERDA. Granted we are not dealing with that but it makes me wonder if somehow something is connected.

I think the HERDA gene only shows up when both parents have Poco in them (daddy does not and none of the offspring I mentioned do)....but it just seems so odd.

Poco Bueno is probably the most popular and common name on QH papers. My Appendix is a PB great grand daughter. So I wouldn't put 2 and 2 together to get 5 if I were you. It's just bad genetics from a poor stallion and you got stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Poco Bueno is probably the most popular and common name on QH papers. My Appendix is a PB great grand daughter. So I wouldn't put 2 and 2 together to get 5 if I were you. It's just bad genetics from a poor stallion and you got stuck with it.
    Yes, JB mentioned that above and then I responded that the pedigree was not likely the issue.

Then I commented that I was just searching for some kind of answer or direction.

Even though I am 'stuck' with it, I do think it is worth spending some time trying to help her or mitigate potential damage.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post

Well.. If I need to, I will. So far so good but i keep it in the back of my mind, so if he starts acting out I know where to start looking.

I am just sad for your little girl
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.