The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Default Spin off! Stupid hostess type party companies

Does anyone else dread getting that invite to the Pampered Chef, Princess House, Tastefully Simple, Avon, Mary Kay, Arbonne, Silpada, Uppercase Living, 31 Gifts, Creative Memories party your friend is throwing?
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

They are really not too common around here, except the lingerie/sex toy type, and I usually enjoy going to those ones.

I don't dread them. I'm just always "unavailable" or "have a prior commitment". Also, I'm pretty open about the fact that I don't attend such outings, and I find that screens out most of the invitations.

I'll go and not buy anything and I find that usually doesn't get me invited back!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I usually have something else going on. The joys of working 4 jobs, it is very easy to have a full schedule for things that you don't really feel like doing
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Nope. Don't dread it at all. Any such invites get the canned response: "I'm afraid I can't make it."

Hence, such invites are rare.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Same as all of the above responses. I went to a few, didn't enjoy them at all, and promptly quit going. I'm too busy with everything in my life to spend an entire free afternoon doing something I don't enjoy.

I just don't go. I don't want to buy any of that stuff. I am so ungirly, I think people have started to get the hint and save the invites for other people.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I can not tell a lie, I do love Pampered Chef. However i rarely spnd more than $15
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I love Pampered Chef too, but I NEVER go to the party - I'll get a catalog and look at that - if I want something, I'll just order it then.

I had a friend in High School who would do Longaberger Basket parties - and invite all of us, her friends. While it was nice to spend time together, most of us couldn't afford any of that stuff! These days I am usually busy anyway when invited to such things - because it is still a bunch of crap that I don't want or need, and it always seems to be expensive. Apparently some people hold these parties all the time as their sole means of income? I don't understand how that really works because I know very few people interested in actually buying the stuff!

Depending what it is and who's having it, I may go. They usually have snacks.

I'm that terribly guest who hardly ever buys anything though. I've bought a few items from jewelry parties, but that's about it.

I used to go to those parties until I wised up. When you go, it seems that to "be polite" you should purchase something. The sales person will say, "(Insert your friend's name), will get a bonus prize if sales reach the gold level. Come on, she just needs $65 more dollars until she gets GOLD."

If that is not an invitation for you to reach in your purse, what is?

Now, if someone mentions a party, I'll say, "I'd love to come to your house for a party, but I hope this is not one of those Amway or sales parties." That way I lay it all out and don't have to think of some excuse.

I do love some of the stuff I've bought in the past. The Silpada jewelry is among my favorites & I still get tons of compliments on it. The Longaberger baskets, while not my usual style, are very sturdy and practical. Same for Tupperware.
    However, money and time being in short supply these days, I would not attend any parties. The Silpada lady really annoyed me with her talk of all the great bonuses & Hawaii vacation she earned by selling baubles - I'm thinking, why would I sacrifice my hard-earned dollars to help her go on vacation??

I didn't used to enjoy them. But then I went to a Pampered Chef party and was hooked. I've now been a consultant for almost 10 years on and off. I do, however, hate going to ones that are ONLY a sales pitch. At least people leave my shows having learned a few things and with an idea or two on feeding their family or whatever. It also depends on if I like the stuff.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I never get invited to those types of parties, and I've never even heard of most of the ones the OP is talking about. BUT I would love to go to a pampered Chef one someday!
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

I hate those kinds of parties, too. I never go and for the most part, people have stopped inviting me. I can think of a million other things I'd rather spend money on.

Now, what if there was a tack-themed one?

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Now, what if there was a tack-themed one?
    People would be thinking up reasons to come by that day if they weren't invited!!! That would be awesome!

I think it might be a regional thing. I never had the misfortune to be invited to anything like it when I was on the East coast Now that I reside in Podunk, it is all the women here do.

When I first moved here I went to some to be nice to my new neighbors, church members etc, but what a load of crap I had to sit through sales pitches on.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    I didn't used to enjoy them. But then I went to a Pampered Chef party and was hooked. I've now been a consultant for almost 10 years on and off. I do, however, hate going to ones that are ONLY a sales pitch. At least people leave my shows having learned a few things and with an idea or two on feeding their family or whatever. It also depends on if I like the stuff.
    I love PC products, but it really depends on who is throwing the party. My bestie throws one or two a year and I usually co-host with her, but the person doing the party does all kinds of fun things (meals on a budget, healthy eating, simple potluck ideas, etc). Those parties are the exception to my "I don't have time" rule.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!